Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Sep 5, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,211 of 5,568
Quote:
Well, I've had my W4Rs for a few days and am really surprised how I've been able to use Comply mediums which give me a good seal and a very comfy too. I started with large which don't seal on my 535s. I have to use either the Shure large olives or foams to get decent bass with them. When I had my TF10s I could only get a good seal with Complys using the large tips and then only with flip flop mode. And my Etys only seal with large triple flange or large Shure foams. What gives? This is so cool, since the large foams always felt like my canals were full of earphone. This is so much more comfortable.
As far as SQ, I like them very much but feel it's too early to give a full opinion especially comparing them to the 535s which up to now have been my favourites. Will report back in a couple weeks.

It is amazing how the fit can be just as critical as how good the IEM's are themselves. My ETY hf3's are SO much better with the custom earpieces than with any of the supplied tips. Good that you found a nice fit so you can ge the most out of your W4's!

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3,212 of 5,568
It is amazing how the fit can be just as critical as how good the IEM's are themselves. My ETY hf3's are SO much better with the custom earpieces than with any of the supplied tips. Good that you found a nice fit so you can ge the most out of your W4's!

Precisely... That's why although others have commented on it, I am so surprised how forgiving the W4s are to which tip I use. I'm flying next week. Will be interesting to see what the isolation is like with the medium tips. Anticipating I may need the large tips for that.

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #3,213 of 5,568
Quote:
Precisely... That's why although others have commented on it, I am so surprised how forgiving the W4s are to which tip I use. I'm flying next week. Will be interesting to see what the isolation is like with the medium tips. Anticipating I may need the large tips for that.

On some flights you need an isolation chamber!  I love my HD25-1's for in air listening.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #3,216 of 5,568
i use my w4s with my cd player on cmoy. i haven't had time to use them with a pc rig. too busy listening to my dt 1350s

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3,218 of 5,568
I've had the Westone's 4 for about a week and a half now, and I love them. Feels like full sound coming from these IEM's which I was missing from my lower tier Shure 215 (unfair comparison when against the W4) and the W4 are very detailed. Much better than the Senns IE80 that I took back for these. Very happy with my purchase... and got them for 20% off with the class coupon on earphone solutions. The sound is similar to my HD650's imo, which is big plus for me. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3,219 of 5,568
Quote:

I really think to get the best sound with the W4 you need tips that are as large as the bore hole. If its not as wide, everything gets messed up. I have no idea why the grey silicone holes are so tiny.

Ah... so the larger the bore hole on the listening tips / earpiece the better sound it produces ?

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #3,221 of 5,568
My favorite is still the Sony tips for the W4.

You just need to de-core a Comply, and have this adaptor shorter than the stem on the W4.....

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,225 of 5,568
Quote:
My favorite is still the Sony tips for the W4.

You just need to de-core a Comply, and have this adaptor shorter than the stem on the W4.....

I like to snip stalk from the hideous and painful clear mushrooms that come with the W4, cut them in half, put one on each tip, and slide the sony hybrids over. So comfy, good isolation and doesn't impinge on the bore hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back