Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,091 of 5,568
Quote:

If you need more color (or any customization in sound), go and buy an amp, but  w4r don't really need an amp to shine
don't forget that many of great rock & metal songs aren't good in recording and mastering

Quote:
you have such sound as your weakest system component

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #3,092 of 5,568
Yes, they adjusted the discount for me! Order has shipped and should be here on Monday. I can't wait to try these out!

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #3,093 of 5,568
FYI - I just got back from an 8-day trip to North Carolina to get my daughter moved into college, and the only IEM I brought with me was my Westone 4, which is saying a lot.  I didn't want to risk losing a custom IEM, but still wanted a high quality sound.  I didn't even bring a portable amp this time, just the iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #3,094 of 5,568
Quote:
FYI - I just got back from an 8-day trip to North Carolina to get my daughter moved into college, and the only IEM I brought with me was my Westone 4, which is saying a lot.  I didn't want to risk losing a custom IEM, but still wanted a high quality sound.  I didn't even bring a portable amp this time, just the iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

Do you mess around with EQ much on your music player? I have a Cowon J3 that I'll be using with my new W4's. I'm going to keep the BBE up as usual, but I may turn the bass up slightly. I know I did for the W2's, and although the W4's' should have more bass...I'm still a slight basshead.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #3,095 of 5,568
Quote:

Do you mess around with EQ much on your music player? I have a Cowon J3 that I'll be using with my new W4's. I'm going to keep the BBE up as usual, but I may turn the bass up slightly. I know I did for the W2's, and although the W4's' should have more bass...I'm still a slight basshead.

To be honest I found the W2 to have more bass. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #3,096 of 5,568
Quote:
To be honest I found the W2 to have more bass. 

Are you for cereal? That almost sounds impossible. The W4 has has two drivers just for bass, doesn't it? I figure at the bare minimum, it would have the same amount of bass but better quality. Either way, I'll turn up the bass setting on my Cowon J3 as needed.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #3,097 of 5,568
Quote:

I agree with that.. too bad the ipod's eq is bad so I have to save for an amp

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #3,098 of 5,568
Quote:

Are you for cereal? That almost sounds impossible. The W4 has has two drivers just for bass, doesn't it? I figure at the bare minimum, it would have the same amount of bass but better quality. Either way, I'll turn up the bass setting on my Cowon J3 as needed.

more driver doesn't mean more quantity (or quality in any aspect), but yes, I can remember that some time ljokerl said that w4 has more bass (quantity) than w2.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #3,100 of 5,568
Slightly over but probably the best you are going to do is earphonesolutions.com.  Price conversions brings it to £283.00 if thats any help.  Cheapest I've seen it in uk is £329 and thats third party on amazon.

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #3,101 of 5,568
Quote:
Slightly over but probably the best you are going to do is earphonesolutions.com.  Price conversions brings it to £283.00 if thats any help.  Cheapest I've seen it in uk is £329 and thats third party on amazon.

Thanks. Sadly the potential Vat on imported goods will force me to buy from Uk dealers, unless significantly cheaper 
wink.gif
. Back on topic.... The instrument separation on this is one of the best i've heard on in-ear phones together with Pfe 232.  

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #3,102 of 5,568
Thanks. Sadly the potential Vat on imported goods will force me to buy from Uk dealers, unless significantly cheaper :wink: . Back on topic.... The instrument separation on this is one of the best i've heard on in-ear phones together with Pfe 232.  

Keep an eye on amazon warehouse, I got mine for £250 2 months ago, they came fully boxed with all tips etc and looked unused, full warranty as well.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,103 of 5,568
Quote:
If you need more color (or any customization in sound), go and buy an amp, but  w4r don't really need an amp to shine
don't forget that many of great rock & metal songs aren't good in recording and mastering

Cool,

Many thanks or the explanation, I'll try it out without buying the amp.

So in this case I assume that W4 will sounds great with: FLAC or 320 kbps MP3 for Musical Instrument rich music such as Orchestral / classical music and acoustic live concert.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3,104 of 5,568
Quote:
@JohnSantana

hello, before I was skeptic about amps... it's not that they don't make any difference but truly they do..

it just depends on the amp you're using.. I've listened to many amps but could only  hear little improvement that led me to not buy an amp because I thought it wasn't worth it.. til' I heard the ZO and then the Arrow 4g.. everything changed from there.. until now I'm still daydreaming on listening to my w4 with the headstage arrow, i still have to save til December.. the Arrow is on a different level I tell you... try them = )

as far as I remember, pico, ttvj, hornet, arrow 3g, arrow 4g, fiio, cypherlabs, ibasso, NU icon mobile... ( i forgot the others)

these are the amps I've auditioned.. and I prefer the arrow 4g for my w4r

Soul,

Yes that does make sense, $ 19 E1 is nothing to compare with Predator amps (*_*) for sure...
and now the only thing that makes the difference for truly enjoyable music and sound listening is... the source of music itself.

I just realized that most of my music collections are Heavy Metal and Rock music (none of them FLAC), I guess I must listen to Classical music and more live acoustic concert to be able to appreciate this W4.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #3,105 of 5,568
Quote:

More bass doesn't mean better, yes. Just like how the UM Aero and Mage has two drivers for bass, and big ones, mind you(the W4 only has two drivers combined into one, which one driver is small in comparison), but they don't have much bass. More drivers just puts less effort on one driver, making the bass to have more quality over quantity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back