Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jul 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3,016 of 5,568
@Flysweep, try the new Earsonics biflanges.  They are much more comfortable, to me, than the earportz torture devices.  I found on the W4, the wider the sound bore of the tip, the better the midrange/treble response.  I also found some benefits with adding resistance, so that's something to play with as well.  Congrats and have fun.

Perfect, thanks sgs.. this is exactly what I needed to know.  I gravitated toward the "conical," white single flange tip because it provided the best midrange & treble presentation... and you know what, that's where I've seen the greatest fluctuation in sound when tip rolling.  Bass presence has never been an issue (as long as you had a good seal), but certain tips (i.e. the bulbous, gray tips) did tend to warm up the sound (lower mids) excessively, smear the presentation, or force the mids unnaturally forward (i.e. the opaque triple flange with the long stem).  I've got a clear triple flange silicone tip (which UM sent me, for some reason, along with a Miracle refit) which is so comfortable, but again, pushed the mids too forward for my tastes.

The smaller comply tips (in stock form, I haven't trimmed the overhang yet) have also worked surprisingly well in providing excellent balance between the bass, mids & (notably, the) treble.

For clarification, you're talking about these, yes?

Jul 28, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,017 of 5,568
Quote:

Perfect, thanks sgs.. this is exactly what I needed to know.  I gravitated toward the "conical," white single flange tip because it provided the best midrange & treble presentation... and you know what, that's where I've seen the greatest fluctuation in sound when tip rolling.  Bass presence has never been an issue (as long as you had a good seal), but certain tips (i.e. the bulbous, gray tips) did tend to warm up the sound (lower mids) excessively, smear the presentation, or force the mids unnaturally forward (i.e. the opaque triple flange with the long stem).  I've got a clear triple flange silicone tip (which UM sent me, for some reason, along with a Miracle refit) which is so comfortable, but again, pushed the mids too forward for my tastes.

The smaller comply tips (in stock form, I haven't trimmed the overhang yet) have also worked surprisingly well in providing excellent balance between the bass, mids & (notably, the) treble.

For clarification, you're talking about these, yes?

That's it.  I bought directly from Earsonics but looks like SoundEarphones has started carrying them too:
http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/earphone-accessories/products/earsonics-replacement-silicon-tips-3-pairs

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,018 of 5,568
Quote:

That's it.  I bought directly from Earsonics but looks like SoundEarphones has started carrying them too:
http://www.soundearphones.com/collections/earphone-accessories/products/earsonics-replacement-silicon-tips-3-pairs

i also got those biflanges that came with my sm3.. too bad it won't give me a seal.. so I gave it away in exchange for a comply

I use the largest comply to my w4 and sm3. the largest gray silicon that came with the w4r makes the w4 very laid back and highs are already piercing for me.. the largest comply works very well with it becoming more intimate and detailed.. whilst on the sm3, I found out the gray silicon of the w4 had better results than the complys

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3,019 of 5,568
recently I have tried to equalize my w4R according to this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

I think w4R is a little veiled for me and bass quantity is a little more than what I want.
I already use large shure olives (foam tips)
please share your experiences in equalizing the w4 with me.

in my trying to find my resonance peak, I can say my resonance peak is somewhere between 4200-4300 (it is some odd
eek.gif
)

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #3,021 of 5,568
While awaiting the SM3 dual flanges to arrive, I got restless with the white, single flange tips.. with which the W4 sounds best to me (most neutral).  But the fit is a PIA (well, "pain in the ear", more appropriately).  Conversely, the gray, single flange offers the most comfortable fit (arguably the most comfortable tip I've ever used, next to the Auveo tips on the FXD80) but I found it to warm up the sound excessively and recess the treble... I suspected this coloration was due to the gray, single flange tips being quite narrow at the bore opening.. more narrow than the W4's plastic nozzle diameter.. so it muffled the sound perhaps.  What to do?

I busted out the Dremel, found a suitably wide drill bit, and carefully widened the nozzle opening about 3/4 of the way down.  Here's a picture of the nozzle opening of the unaltered, gray, single flange tip:

Now, here's how it looks after I widened it:

My apologies for taking the two photos at slightly different distances.  You might have to look closely (click on the photos to enlarge them).. but you'll notice the silicone 'ring' surrounding the unaltered flange's nozzle opening is noticeably thinner on the modded tip's opening (due to the widening of the bore/opening).

The resulting sound was exactly what I had hoped for.. very close, if not identical, to what the white, single flange offers.  But now, with the excellent comfort of the gray tips.  I'll A/B both the white & gray, single flange tips with the SM3 double-flange tips that should arrive before the weekend, too.

I also used a 75 ohm impedance adapter that I've had for some time with the W4 & really liked the sound: noticeably more neutral and better overall clarity.  The midbass hump is appreciably tamed back, bass tightens as a whole.. the mids become more transparent & neutral.. while the treble gains some nice presence & air.  75 ohms might be a little much, so I'm thinking about trying out a ~50 ohm adapter.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #3,023 of 5,568
^  Excellent mod, excellent job! Impeccable.

Thanks.. it's a very easy mod.. provided you've got a steady hand and are mindful of choosing a drill bit that isn't too wide.  Thankfully, the silicone 'sleeve' (which hugs the W4's nozzle) is quite thick, so there's certainly some play there.  I went quite conservative on the drill bit choice, but had to quickly move up to use one of the wider ones to appreciably open the bore.

Obviously, those who intend to sell the W4 down the line with all tips in mint condition should be advised this is 'non-reversible.'  But frankly, I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would prefer the muffled, overly warm sound of the stock, gray tips to these slightly modded ones.  The W4's house sound remains very much in tact, so this isn't altering it in some wild manner, whatsoever.  What this mod does is bring better balance and neutrality to the W4.  If you're like me, you found the midbass hump more than a little distracting and forward.. this mod does a nice job trimming it back a bit (not entirely, but enough to satisfy me, and still keep that W4 sound).

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,024 of 5,568
so I just bought jupiterknight's Westone W4Rs. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621704/westone-w4-r-modded-fiio-e6-amp
I'm honestly estatic. I just got a job, and i'm spending my full time earnings for the first month on purely headphones and headphone equipment. I'm in that building, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, so I thought I better enjoy my damn time. I just bought Beyers DT1350s, and own Grados SR225i. I bought the beyers because my Grados leaked sound and when i noticed how nice they are when I got them, i realized I didn't want to bring them to work, so I bought Bower and Wilkins C5s on ebay because I keep hearing people comparing them to the ie8s and alot of people owned them, and noticed reviews and got a quick refund this morning, then i saw jupiterknight posting to sell his westone w4r, and i thought $310 was alot, well I diddnt need the fiio e6 so i asked to buy them for $290, he went down on the price and it was sold... Ive had shure e-415s back in high school like 4 years ago, and I loved them, I think I will love these too. So what do you guys love about your westone 4s, like are they pretty hard to drive?, because I just bought 3 channel portable amp just in case. Just talking about it makes me feel like a kid again ( you know when you get those new toys)

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,027 of 5,568
Quote:
While awaiting the SM3 dual flanges to arrive, I got restless with the white, single flange tips.. with which the W4 sounds best to me (most neutral).  But the fit is a PIA (well, "pain in the ear", more appropriately).  Conversely, the gray, single flange offers the most comfortable fit (arguably the most comfortable tip I've ever used, next to the Auveo tips on the FXD80) but I found it to warm up the sound excessively and recess the treble... I suspected this coloration was due to the gray, single flange tips being quite narrow at the bore opening.. more narrow than the W4's plastic nozzle diameter.. so it muffled the sound perhaps.  What to do?

I busted out the Dremel, found a suitably wide drill bit, and carefully widened the nozzle opening about 3/4 of the way down.  Here's a picture of the nozzle opening of the unaltered, gray, single flange tip:

Now, here's how it looks after I widened it:

My apologies for taking the two photos at slightly different distances.  You might have to look closely (click on the photos to enlarge them).. but you'll notice the silicone 'ring' surrounding the unaltered flange's nozzle opening is noticeably thinner on the modded tip's opening (due to the widening of the bore/opening).

The resulting sound was exactly what I had hoped for.. very close, if not identical, to what the white, single flange offers.  But now, with the excellent comfort of the gray tips.  I'll A/B both the white & gray, single flange tips with the SM3 double-flange tips that should arrive before the weekend, too.

I also used a 75 ohm impedance adapter that I've had for some time with the W4 & really liked the sound: noticeably more neutral and better overall clarity.  The midbass hump is appreciably tamed back, bass tightens as a whole.. the mids become more transparent & neutral.. while the treble gains some nice presence & air.  75 ohms might be a little much, so I'm thinking about trying out a ~50 ohm adapter.

Nice mod! Got to agree the white translucent tips sound the best but are torture tips...

The ohm adapter thing sounds very interesting...

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #3,028 of 5,568
Quote:
So, is this worth the upgrade from UM3X to these? Might buy these :) 

It depends on how you look at it, there are people who prefer the UM3x more and think the UM3x are an upgrade over the W4 instead. However I beg the differ, the smoother, less recessed treble, coupled with cleaner bass and a wider soundstage makes me prefer the W4 over the UM3x. Although it is undeniable that the UM3x has better separation and perhaps mids.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #3,029 of 5,568
Quote:
so I just bought jupiterknight's Westone W4Rs. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621704/westone-w4-r-modded-fiio-e6-amp
I'm honestly estatic. I just got a job, and i'm spending my full time earnings for the first month on purely headphones and headphone equipment. I'm in that building, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, so I thought I better enjoy my damn time. I just bought Beyers DT1350s, and own Grados SR225i. I bought the beyers because my Grados leaked sound and when i noticed how nice they are when I got them, i realized I didn't want to bring them to work, so I bought Bower and Wilkins C5s on ebay because I keep hearing people comparing them to the ie8s and alot of people owned them, and noticed reviews and got a quick refund this morning, then i saw jupiterknight posting to sell his westone w4r, and i thought $310 was alot, well I diddnt need the fiio e6 so i asked to buy them for $290, he went down on the price and it was sold... Ive had shure e-415s back in high school like 4 years ago, and I loved them, I think I will love these too. So what do you guys love about your westone 4s, like are they pretty hard to drive?, because I just bought 3 channel portable amp just in case. Just talking about it makes me feel like a kid again ( you know when you get those new toys)

Just need a lineout with < 1 Ohm to drive them. Iphone 4 or Fiio Amps will do for example.

I prefer my W4 over my brothers um3x. They are just perfectly balanced, nothing too much emphasized. Soundstage is wider which  makes it more musical for me than the um3x.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3,030 of 5,568
For me, it is very clear that W4 is much more detail than the UM3x. The background details are more forward and stronger appearance than the UM3x even the instruments are congested. 

More deep extension.. wider sound stages.. Good in every aspects. I feel ear fatigued after long period listening to UM3x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back