Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Mar 20, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2,761 of 5,568
Actually, which recommended good tip for the w4? Shure Olive?

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,762 of 5,568

Quote:
Actually, which recommended good tip for the w4? Shure Olive?

Yes that is one, bu for, but I really like those Westone Grey silicone ones the best for the W4

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,764 of 5,568

Quote:
Oh Yes. The W4 are one of the best Balanced armatures. They are great for just about all genres too. Near Perfect IEM Again just be patient with tips. Maybe as you have seen in earlier reads, from myself or especially james, just a little finicky, but nothing a little practice won't take fix. Westone has an excellent fit kit, full of tips.
And God Bless my friend, Thank You.....HERO

I was looking for something very versatile. I have a pair of Sennheiser MX980 earbudsfor travel and Beyerdynamic T1s at home. I needed something for planes etc., that would provide a balanced sound sig. I hope I will get that from these. I hope they are not half as finicky and huge as Sony EX600, I had to sell those as they were too much hassle to take out and put back in - on the plae it is quite cumbersome. 

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2,765 of 5,568

Quote:
Yes that is one, bu for, but I really like those Westone Grey silicone ones the best for the W4

Hmm... but i think i prefer the Memory Form tips, feel great too. Cause i found out that my right ear canal is different from the left one..  So, i feel pain if wearing the silicon after 2 hours on my right ear.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2,766 of 5,568
I prefer what Westone calls the "mushroom" tips...  They are the grey silicones (that's what I call them :p). 

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,767 of 5,568
I received my Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon cable today for my 4r.  Right away I can tell it was a good investment for my listening profile.  The 4r was a little bit warm for me with the stock cable and now it is right where I like it.  Very precise, articulate and fast.  If one could say that their was a slight veil with the 4r stock cable this is now gone for me with these new cables.  Now on to balanced listening to see if this makes any difference with the 4r.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2,768 of 5,568
Quote:
I received my Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon cable today for my 4r.  Right away I can tell it was a good investment for my listening profile.  The 4r was a little bit warm for me with the stock cable and now it is right where I like it.  Very precise, articulate and fast.  If one could say that their was a slight veil with the 4r stock cable this is now gone for me with these new cables.  Now on to balanced listening to see if this makes any difference with the 4r.

Congrats. From what I've read, copper cables bring out more low end, and silvers bring out more treble and a more detailed sound. But does the silver dragon do anything at all for the bass?

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #2,769 of 5,568

Quote:
Congrats. From what I've read, copper cables bring out more low end, and silvers bring out more treble and a more detailed sound. But does the silver dragon do anything at all for the bass?

the silver dragon is a hybrid cable, I think anyway
blink.gif

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #2,771 of 5,568

Quote:

All I can say is that the whole balance is much better, more precise, quicker and even punchier than with the stock cable.  I thought that the stock cable was slightly warm (muddy, veiled) and with this IEM Silver Dragon cable precept ion has gone away.  Whether it goes lower than before is questionable since I don't simply test it against tones, just the feel from what I am hearing at any one time.  It is a very emotional sound while being very articulate and detailed, something quite mysterious to pull off I think since "emotion" sound to me points into the direction of warmth, so it must not have lost all its warmth.   The sound improvement may be as much a function of the wire gauge and the materials, who knows, but the Westone 4r is no longer strangled by its stock cable as good as it is.

The IEM Silver Dragon cable is very flexible and very low noise if any from touching my shoulder and such.  It goes around my ear very well.

Reviewing my last  post I spoke to listening in balance mode.  The comparison of the well burned in Fostex HP-P1 single ended to the RSA SR-71b + iBasso DB2 indicates to me that listening single ended losses nothing to the balanced mode.  They are about equals.  The much smaller package of the only Fostex HP-P1 and Touch is a big winner compared to the big brick with the addition of the DB2 + SR-71B based on sound being essentially equal. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,772 of 5,568
It never ceases to amaze me just how much of a difference a "tip" can make on IEMs.

Just took delivery of these a few hours ago (FYI buy.com has them for $308 shipped) and initially I put the white, plasticky tips on.  Slightly uncomfortable and the sound was just...blah.  I mean, it was okay, but nothing that made me say, "Wow!!" 

I then swapped it out with the gray, silicone tips and the comfort improved along with the sound.  Now, I say, "Hmm...these definitely have potential to be great." 

Cheers all.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #2,773 of 5,568

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me just how much of a difference a "tip" can make on IEMs.

Just took delivery of these a few hours ago (FYI buy.com has them for $308 shipped) and initially I put the white, plasticky tips on.  Slightly uncomfortable and the sound was just...blah.  I mean, it was okay, but nothing that made me say, "Wow!!" 

I then swapped it out with the gray, silicone tips and the comfort improved along with the sound.  Now, I say, "Hmm...these definitely have potential to be great." 

Cheers all.

Funny I was jus thinking the same thing. As stated above, I love the grey silicones the best too. Get this, I used Shure replacement grey silicones. they look the same, but really don't sound as good to me. They are a little thicker in substance, and a little more boomey. Some may like this however

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,774 of 5,568

Quote:

Funny I was jus thinking the same thing. As stated above, I love the grey silicones the best too. Get this, I used Shure replacement grey silicones. they look the same, but really don't sound as good to me. They are a little thicker in substance, and a little more boomey. Some may like this however

I've been all over the block with tips on these.....I liked the MEEL DF tips for a long while, then switched to Jays silicone large black tips, they give me a very good quick seal, the best sound out of the W4R for me.  Great bass, and clarity in the mids and highs.  I did try about every tip that I have, and different sizes as well....I can say with authority that tips on these make a huge difference!

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2,775 of 5,568
Quote:

All I can say is that the whole balance is much better, more precise, quicker and even punchier than with the stock cable.  I thought that the stock cable was slightly warm (muddy, veiled) and with this IEM Silver Dragon cable precept ion has gone away.  Whether it goes lower than before is questionable since I don't simply test it against tones, just the feel from what I am hearing at any one time.  It is a very emotional sound while being very articulate and detailed, something quite mysterious to pull off I think since "emotion" sound to me points into the direction of warmth, so it must not have lost all its warmth.   The sound improvement may be as much a function of the wire gauge and the materials, who knows, but the Westone 4r is no longer strangled by its stock cable as good as it is.

The IEM Silver Dragon cable is very flexible and very low noise if any from touching my shoulder and such.  It goes around my ear very well.

Reviewing my last  post I spoke to listening in balance mode.  The comparison of the well burned in Fostex HP-P1 single ended to the RSA SR-71b + iBasso DB2 indicates to me that listening single ended losses nothing to the balanced mode.  They are about equals.  The much smaller package of the only Fostex HP-P1 and Touch is a big winner compared to the big brick with the addition of the DB2 + SR-71B based on sound being essentially equal. 

Glad to hear it's punchier. That's one of the things I'm starting to feel lackin in the 4Rs esp for rock, that bit of PRat.

Appreciate the refreshingly honest comments bout going balanced. I was intrigued by the possibility of having the silver dragons balanced to an Alo Rx Mk3 when it's available. I'll wait for more reviews bout that amp, and my wallet thanks you for the splash of cold water in the meantime :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back