Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 17, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #2,701 of 5,568

I haven't used a proper universal IEM in a while, so I was excited to get the W4. 

I just received my pair today (actually the W4R), and after messing around with all of the tips, (I eventually settled on the medium black silicone and the large complys), I have to say that the sound of these IEMs is very different - and sort of refreshingly so - from that of my JH16s. I don't think the W4 matches the JH16 in terms of impact, lustre, or raw sound quality, but I really like how these sound a lot. The presentation is a bit "cleaner", if that makes any sense. Not to say the JH16s are muddy at all, but the W4 pulls back on the bass and it's definitely a change from what I'm used to. I've run everything from Adele to Skrillex to Charlie Parker through these phones and I'm impressed. I bet TWag could really make these sing. I'll have to get around to that soon 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
I've a question for u guys bout imaging and soundstage. While I can hear that it's wider and more "out of my head" than my re0s, I keep reading that e W4 are excellent at front to back depth, and a sense of the band playing in front of you.  I guess I can somewhat understand front/back depth with the layering of instruments, but I am a bit embarrassed to say this but I've never been had that forward projection feel with the W4 or any other iem. With the W4, for the most part the bass seems to be hitting around the back of my neck at ear level, and the mids n treble pretty much coming left and right. Is it just me? Having said that I've ever tried the famed barbershop sound clip and for that I could sense forward projection. But not with regular music.  :/

If you get the chance, try some high-res material from Chesky Records over at hdtracks. I think that depth is definitely there. The "imaging" in most commercial recordings is made on a computer so sometimes the natural ambience isn't present.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2,702 of 5,568
Good to hear that you are enjoying them, would it be possible to write a little more comparing the W4 and JH16? I am hoping to order some soon along with the 13? 

I do not have the W4R but had a regular W4 cracked and Shure compatible socket installed. I find the best cable thus far with the W4 is a copper/silver hybrid such as the Baldur mk2. A silver one that I have made it sound too shrill. Surprising with a cable swap you just can't help noticing what an incredible revealing IEM the W4 is and depending on cable, the bass is deep and full with a lot of richness, but individual notes easily heard......

Thank you

Quote:

I haven't used a proper universal IEM in a while, so I was excited to get the W4. 

I just received my pair today (actually the W4R), and after messing around with all of the tips, (I eventually settled on the medium black silicone and the large complys), I have to say that the sound of these IEMs is very different - and sort of refreshingly so - from that of my JH16s. I don't think the W4 matches the JH16 in terms of impact, lustre, or raw sound quality, but I really like how these sound a lot. The presentation is a bit "cleaner", if that makes any sense. Not to say the JH16s are muddy at all, but the W4 pulls back on the bass and it's definitely a change from what I'm used to. I've run everything from Adele to Skrillex to Charlie Parker through these phones and I'm impressed. I bet TWag could really make these sing. I'll have to get around to that soon 
beyersmile.png

If you get the chance, try some high-res material from Chesky Records over at hdtracks. I think that depth is definitely there. The "imaging" in most commercial recordings is made on a computer so sometimes the natural ambience isn't present.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #2,703 of 5,568
Just recently received my own W4's and I was compairing them to my own collection which consists of Shure SE215, Klipsch X10, B&W C5, and the Ety HF3. I wasn't sure how I felt about them when I first tried them so I compared them versus all my IEM's and then found myself using the W4's for the past three hours! This is my true high end IEM and I couldn't be happier as I was deciding between these and the Shure SE535. Friendly Fires, Yuksek, Porcelain Raft, Beck, Foo Fighters, LCD Soundsystem all sound different from what I've been used to. Sound separation, balance, clarity, sound stage, everything! I'm sure I'll fall asleep with these on to some Corea, Clarke & White--my sleepy time artist.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #2,704 of 5,568

Quote:
sorry for taking a old story again! dude did you felt that the treble sparkel or smwhat is missing on the right driver most of the time? smtyms i feel like the left driver almost dominating the right driver.. ( only if you focus on individual driver, yet noticable) .. pretty much instrumental hvy by the sence. is this the nature of w4?
by the way sorry for my bad english

Actually, I went to the health care center at my school and they told me that since I was blowing my nose a bunch I had some liquid behind one of my eardrums, which is apparently fairly normal when you have allergies.  After switching to Shure Olive tips and waiting a week, the sound is much better. 
I feel like the W4's are just so precise that any imbalance will make the positioning seem off.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2,705 of 5,568
Actually, I went to the health care center at my school and they told me that since I was blowing my nose a bunch I had some liquid behind one of my eardrums, which is apparently fairly normal when you have allergies.  After switching to Shure Olive tips and waiting a week, the sound is much better. 
I feel like the W4's are just so precise that any imbalance will make the positioning seem off.

i guess that might be the reason.... + can you or any one suggest me a good album or a song to refferance? a perfectly masterd one? thanks again for your help man.. peace!

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2,707 of 5,568
Just chiming in to say that I have been craving more sub-bass impact from the W4 (with Earsonics triple flanges) and have opted for this EQ on Amarra:

It's a modification on the Electronic preset, with just the lowest bass settings changed. Very tasty, with very little (sometimes imperceptible) bleed into midbass.

Also, I am wearing one of these over the W4 when listening at home:

Peltor Optime III ear muffs.

Offer around 31dB noise reduction, help bring out yet another level of detail in my music. This particular Optime offers greater low frequency noise isolation compared to the Optime II and I, which I feel gives it more low end oomph. Soundstage may suffer slightly for some tracks, but instrument separation is improved IMO - which is somewhat paradoxical, but works fantastic for 95% of my music. For the other 5% I just take the muffs off haha.

Yet to wear this combination outside, for fear of being mocked
atsmile.gif
(and being hit by a bus).

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,708 of 5,568
Just a few lines to say, I 've picked up a silver/gold hybrid, teflon shielded cable yesterday which is compatible with my cracked and socketed W4. It is an experimental cable and quite stiff.

I have never heard such clarity, lifelike realism and a bass so full and deep, with slam and impact that is scary, and a tunefulness that makes every note and every line followable. I didn't realise that sound like this can be achievable in the best customs, let alone an universal!

My friend best described the sound by saying the bass was reminiscent to a pair of Ultrasones he heard in the $500 price bracket and the rest of the freqs my W4 sounded significantly better. I am in two minds as to whether Westone knows that they such a remarkable product.

I will write more extensively with pics on my thread about the cracking of a W4 and this Friday I will be meeting a fellow HeadFi-er and perhaps he will chime in. As it is now, Unbelieveable!!!

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,709 of 5,568
Quote:
I have never heard such clarity, lifelike realism and a bass so full and deep, with slam and impact that is scary, and a tunefulness that makes every note and every line followable. I didn't realise that sound like this can be achievable in the best customs, let alone an universal!

Wow, you're making the W4r very tempting now, just to open the possibility of future cable changes. I know I hated e memory wire on my cheapo meelec m6s. How are the memory wires on the W4r, if you're still holding on to them that is.. :) Are they as bad as some pointed out?

Quote:
How do the W4 compare with SM3v2 and UM3X.
And, are do these three compare with TF10.

I'm interested in the detail, presentation, how they perform among all the frequencies.

I'm quite new to high end iems so take my findings with a pinch of salt :D 

I recently tested the W4 and the UM3X (both using grey silicons) at a store, but I wasn't too impressed by either, due to the tips. I'll get to that part later.

I felt the W4 comparatively was "cleaner", brighter, and overall sounding closer to my Swan H4 speakers. W4s had bigger soundstage than um3x. The UM3X sounded "thicker" for lack of a better word, probably due to stronger bass n mids. 

W4 bass was lesser by not much, but sounds tighter. Although I can see why pple eq e W4 for more bass. But the W4s are not bass light. Try it with Massive Attack's "I against I" or iiO's "Is It Love". Bass is there when you need it. I felt W4's bass went down lower too.

W4 mids were less forward and less "thick" than UM3X. I've read pple saying UM3X is more "fun" and suited for rock/pop casual listening, but personally I'm not convinced this "thicker" sound is necessarily better for me (prolly due to my re0 trained ears). It makes voices sound chesty or muffled? And guitar notes less sharp/crisp. I suppose it's all down to the kind of signature the individual has been accustomed to. That being said I'm gonna give e UM3X another try, see if I can warm up to UM3X's "warmth" :)

W4 had more detailed and airier highs than UM3X. But I also feel the W4 was held back from it's potential by the grey silicons provided. I had previously tried them with foams at another store (believe either comply t-100 or tx-100) and I fell in love with them. From memory, the foams made the W4 even less thick, and made the whole sound more open, airy and clearer than the silicons. Makes me wonder perhaps e um3x could do better with foams... On the W4 with foams I heard little details in cymbals I never heard before, and I've listened to re0's amazing highs for 2yrs. O_o

That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the W4 now - having to use the grey silicons cos I find foamies are bit troublesome to use on the go. :/

Oh yea, the beefy plug on the UM3X couldn't fit on my iPhone 4S case. Mild bummer.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #2,710 of 5,568
Sony hybrids are the best to use, get a stem from one of the complys foams. The Sony with a bit of heat attaches itself to the ear and creates a good bond. I have found when you make up the stem to only have it made up to 65-70% of the stalk, it makes the sound more open etc. If the stem is the same length as the stalk, it sounds very closed in. Why such a huge sound difference is beyond me?

The standard cable, besides comfort, sucks sound wise......using the same cable in the IEM for a range that is $99 to $400 and I think even on their Customs, doesn't bode well with me. 

How good is the W4 with a third party cable? Instead of going into how it sounds and running through the whole razzmatazz I only need to say this.........

I heard details that I have never before on albums that are dated from 20 years ago, such as Dire Straits, Robbie Robertson etc. Songs that I thought I knew like the back of my hand with such realism that it was eery!

Quote:

Wow, you're making the W4r very tempting now, just to open the possibility of future cable changes. I know I hated e memory wire on my cheapo meelec m6s. How are the memory wires on the W4r, if you're still holding on to them that is.. :) Are they as bad as some pointed out?

I'm quite new to high end iems so take my findings with a pinch of salt :D 

I recently tested the W4 and the UM3X (both using grey silicons) at a store, but I wasn't too impressed by either, due to the tips. I'll get to that part later.

I felt the W4 comparatively was "cleaner", brighter, and overall sounding closer to my Swan H4 speakers. W4s had bigger soundstage than um3x. The UM3X sounded "thicker" for lack of a better word, probably due to stronger bass n mids. 

W4 bass was lesser by not much, but sounds tighter. Although I can see why pple eq e W4 for more bass. But the W4s are not bass light. Try it with Massive Attack's "I against I" or iiO's "Is It Love". Bass is there when you need it. I felt W4's bass went down lower too.

W4 mids were less forward and less "thick" than UM3X. I've read pple saying UM3X is more "fun" and suited for rock/pop casual listening, but personally I'm not convinced this "thicker" sound is necessarily better for me (prolly due to my re0 trained ears). It makes voices sound chesty or muffled? And guitar notes less sharp/crisp. I suppose it's all down to the kind of signature the individual has been accustomed to. That being said I'm gonna give e UM3X another try, see if I can warm up to UM3X's "warmth" :)

W4 had more detailed and airier highs than UM3X. But I also feel the W4 was held back from it's potential by the grey silicons provided. I had previously tried them with foams at another store (believe either comply t-100 or tx-100) and I fell in love with them. From memory, the foams made the W4 even less thick, and made the whole sound more open, airy and clearer than the silicons. Makes me wonder perhaps e um3x could do better with foams... On the W4 with foams I heard little details in cymbals I never heard before, and I've listened to re0's amazing highs for 2yrs. O_o

That's the only thing holding me back from purchasing the W4 now - having to use the grey silicons cos I find foamies are bit troublesome to use on the go. :/

Oh yea, the beefy plug on the UM3X couldn't fit on my iPhone 4S case. Mild bummer.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,711 of 5,568
Quote:
Sony hybrids are the best to use, get a stem from one of the complys foams. The Sony with a bit of heat attaches itself to the ear and creates a good bond. I have found when you make up the stem to only have it made up to 65-70% of the stalk, it makes the sound more open etc. If the stem is the same length as the stalk, it sounds very closed in. Why such a huge sound difference is beyond me?

Hey spkrs01, so just to make sure I'm reading you right, you're pushing the comply stem all the way towards the W4 body, and leaving the 35% empty nozzle on the other end (the end which is closer to the actual ear)?

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2,712 of 5,568
correct......

you can try at same length stem/stalk and then cut it down, since you dont like complys you lose rwo sets at most if the short version doesnt suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back