Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2,686 of 5,568
For anyone that finds the treble too much on nearly any universal iem I suggest complys...they'll soak the treble right up.

I'm still surprised people are finding the highs on the W4s offensive, or any aspect of them for that matter. I find their lack of aggression to be their greatest weakness. I've come to accepted that one phone cannot be all, so I'm getting my TF10s reshelled...for more treble agression :)  
Just proves everyone hears differently 
etysmile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #2,687 of 5,568

Quote:
Just proves everyone hears differently 
etysmile.gif

This is true.  I can't agree with the Complies though, I get a better seal with silicone and they provide less strident highs for me (if they aren't less strident, they will be at the same level). 

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #2,688 of 5,568

Quote:
This is true.  I can't agree with the Complies though, I get a better seal with silicone and they provide less strident highs for me (if they aren't less strident, they will be at the same level). 

+1 on the Comply Tips....but I use Ts, they do not affect the highs....I just couldn't get used to the distortion/resonance that silicone tips add to the sound.  Using Comply Ts tips are like a Home Theater/Stereo dedicated room, with acoustical room treatments, where reflections are controlled (the sound is more tight and natural, better timbre and texture).....unlike silicone tips are like the sound bouncing off the walls with no acoustical wall treatments in the listening space!  Clap your hands in an untreated space vs a room with acoustic treatments, there is a difference.....most high end audio resellers have a listening room with acoustic treatments.  IMO, is the best way to compare Comply to Silicone tips!

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #2,689 of 5,568

Quote:
+1 on the Comply Tips....but I use Ts, they do not affect the highs....I just couldn't get used to the distortion/resonance that silicone tips add to the sound.  Using Comply Ts tips are like a Home Theater/Stereo dedicated room, with acoustical room treatments, where reflections are controlled (the sound is more tight and natural, better timbre and texture).....unlike silicone tips are like the sound bouncing off the walls with no acoustical wall treatments in the listening space!  Clap your hands in an untreated space vs a room with acoustic treatments, there is a difference.....most high end audio resellers have a listening room with acoustic treatments.  IMO, is the best way to compare Comply to Silicone tips!

That's actually a nice analogy.  I still feel I get a stronger seal with silicone, maybe it's just my ears.  If I do use foam, I use the longer P-series tips with Westones, they provide a better seal for me, however, my ear canals are different sized, so I have to use two sizes :p

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2,690 of 5,568
Only the Comply P-series cut the middle highs down enough and provide room for the bass like I need. Silicone won't work for me.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,691 of 5,568

Quote:
Only the Comply P-series cut the middle highs down enough and provide room for the bass like I need. Silicone won't work for me.

yeah, the tips (and resultant effect it has on the highs mids lows) really depend on the individual's ear. that's the deal with universals regarding tips - gotta find out what works best for your ears and you can't base it off on other's impressions. i've easily spent 2 bills on various tips before deciding that the original t series L size was best for me.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,692 of 5,568

Quote:
... the original t series L size was best for me.

I tried those per your recommendation and they didn't work for me. They were a little short for my ears, and I couldn't get a seal. But those P-series are great for me. Every one truly is different. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,693 of 5,568
Just curious, is it easy to test if your headphones are balanced or not?
I tried listening to a bunch of my songs in mono and all frequencies seemed very centered.
However, I noticed that with normal stereo music the W4's seem to have a tendency to make the bass seem noticeably left or right orientated.  I felt like my triple.fi 10's did that too while the pan is much less noticeable on other headphones.  It could also be the tips, I'm not too sure what I think about the silicone tips that come with the W4's.  The foams are too small for my ears and I haven't gotten a chance to try out any other tips.

sorry for taking a old story again! dude did you felt that the treble sparkel or smwhat is missing on the right driver most of the time? smtyms i feel like the left driver almost dominating the right driver.. ( only if you focus on individual driver, yet noticable) .. pretty much instrumental hvy by the sence. is this the nature of w4?

by the way sorry for my bad english

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #2,694 of 5,568
So I've been loving the W4R. My biggest concern was that they the replaceable cord would be a debacle like the SE535 cord: Stiff, ungainly and swivelly...basically miserable to wear. But no worries: the memory wire on the W4R has been done right! The memory portion is very small and very thin, nothing like the SE535. These are amazingly comfortable! The insertion of the cord is amazing, making the whole shell only slightly larger than the W4. Very impressive. (I do wish the W4R "vault" had a better latching system; I see this breaking over time, but a rubber band would actually be easier, I think.)

I do find that the W4R, as with the W4, is incredibly tip dependent. Even that being said, I "may" "almost" support that the W4R has better treble than the W4. I've been impressed with some real shimmer and extension at time, that I never remember having with the W4. I still find them veiled compared to the GR10 but the W4R is a very engaging and non-demanding sound while being very revealing.

My current tip of choice: Cut down the included Westone whitish clear tips to the stalks. (You know, the kind that almost no one uses...and maybe come to think of it, I haven't heard of a single person using them since they are hard and pretty much suck.) Put the stalks on the nozzle and put over them your Sony Hybrid, so that the edge of the hybrid is flush with the end of the nozzle, or as close as possible. I'm getting an incredible seal and once again affirm that not reducing the nozzle size like the gray mushroom do increases the treble energy (basically the same sonic plus you get from the Shure olives). This sound is very comparable to the shure olive, doesn't risk getting stuck on your nozzle like the shure olive and is way more comfortable, imo.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,695 of 5,568

Quote:

My current tip of choice: Cut down the included Westone whitish clear tips to the stalks. (You know, the kind that almost no one uses...and maybe come to think of it, I haven't heard of a single person using them since they are hard and pretty much suck.) Put the stalks on the nozzle and put over them your Sony Hybrid, so that the edge of the hybrid is flush with the end of the nozzle, or as close as possible. I'm getting an incredible seal and once again affirm that not reducing the nozzle size like the gray mushroom do increases the treble energy (basically the same sonic plus you get from the Shure olives). This sound is very comparable to the shure olive, doesn't risk getting stuck on your nozzle like the shure olive and is way more comfortable, imo.

I am using the same and love the Sony Hybrid tips. They kind of bond to the skin once warmed and create an incredible seal plus they really force you to have the insertion deep. But, what I found was do not make the stalks the same length as the nozzle. Have it at around 65% the length of the nozzle. Push it all the way inwards to the earpiece- you will show 35% empty nozzle. put the Sonys on and listen......you will be amazed at the difference this makes!!!

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,696 of 5,568
This x100.

Quote:
So I've been loving the W4R. My biggest concern was that they the replaceable cord would be a debacle like the SE535 cord: Stiff, ungainly and swivelly...basically miserable to wear. But no worries: the memory wire on the W4R has been done right! The memory portion is very small and very thin, nothing like the SE535. These are amazingly comfortable! The insertion of the cord is amazing, making the whole shell only slightly larger than the W4. Very impressive. (I do wish the W4R "vault" had a better latching system; I see this breaking over time, but a rubber band would actually be easier, I think.)

I do find that the W4R, as with the W4, is incredibly tip dependent. Even that being said, I "may" "almost" support that the W4R has better treble than the W4. I've been impressed with some real shimmer and extension at time, that I never remember having with the W4. I still find them veiled compared to the GR10 but the W4R is a very engaging and non-demanding sound while being very revealing.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #2,697 of 5,568

Quote:
So I've been loving the W4R. My biggest concern was that they the replaceable cord would be a debacle like the SE535 cord: Stiff, ungainly and swivelly...basically miserable to wear. But no worries: the memory wire on the W4R has been done right!

I do find that the W4R, as with the W4, is incredibly tip dependent. Even that being said, I "may" "almost" support that the W4R has better treble than the W4. I've been impressed with some real shimmer and extension at time, that I never remember having with the W4.

Yes when it comes to cable, Westone knows how to get the job done wonderfully.

But luckily when you get IEMs with detachable cables, you can always switch cables (SE535LTD user inside
wink.gif
)

Concerning the sound change, it's most likely due to the different cable, rather than the W4 themselves. I wasn't a huge believer to start with, but switching cables on my SE535LTD has made me realize how important it could be...
redface.gif

The only concern is that the opportunity to change cables is one more way to empty your wallet, if buying IEMs/amps/music was not enough.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2,698 of 5,568
Hey guys.. I'm pretty new to high tier iems, hope to get some advice from u pros.

Yesterday i tried the w4 at a store using black foamies (can I assume these are shure olives? I forgot to ask) and it sounded heavenly. Quite close to my re0, but more detail throughout and e added bass quantity I've always wished e re0 had.

Today however I tried e w4 at a different store which were using the grey silicons. It sounded thicker and less open. Is that typical of the grey silicons?

Seems e grey silicons might not be for me, but I'm not sure bout using foamies being a slight germaphobe. I'm reading that using sony hybrids are close to the shure olives, but requires the core/stalk hack  But is there a risk of the hybrids coming loose from the stalk and getting stuck in the ear?

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,699 of 5,568
The tips never go deep enough to where it should be a problem. At least for me. I've had some tips stay in my ear when using the red monster tip adapters to use the black silicon tips from monster and the shure e2c and I've always been able to take them out with my fingers without any issue.

A lot of people with the w4 can vouch for this, but the W4 are very tip dependent. I prefer using silicon tips because its easier for taking them in and out all the time (people want to talk to me, i need to take them out when I get to class, etc) so they are just more durable. However, sometimes at night I prefer using the foam tips for a more airy open sound. 

You are probably going to try a few more tips than just the olives and silicons to figure out what you really like.

Quote:
Hey guys.. I'm pretty new to high tier iems, hope to get some advice from u pros.

Yesterday i tried the w4 at a store using black foamies (can I assume these are shure olives? I forgot to ask) and it sounded heavenly. Quite close to my re0, but more detail throughout and e added bass quantity I've always wished e re0 had.

Today however I tried e w4 at a different store which were using the grey silicons. It sounded thicker and less open. Is that typical of the grey silicons?

Seems e grey silicons might not be for me, but I'm not sure bout using foamies being a slight germaphobe. I'm reading that using sony hybrids are close to the shure olives, but requires the core/stalk hack  But is there a risk of the hybrids coming loose from the stalk and getting stuck in the ear?

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2,700 of 5,568
That's gd to know. Thx! Hoping earphonesolutions will have a 25% coupon soon.

Quote:
The tips never go deep enough to where it should be a problem. At least for me. I've had some tips stay in my ear when using the red monster tip adapters to use the black silicon tips from monster and the shure e2c and I've always been able to take them out with my fingers without any issue.

I've a question for u guys bout imaging and soundstage. While I can hear that it's wider and more "out of my head" than my re0s, I keep reading that e W4 are excellent at front to back depth, and a sense of the band playing in front of you.  I guess I can somewhat understand front/back depth with the layering of instruments, but I am a bit embarrassed to say this but I've never been had that forward projection feel with the W4 or any other iem. With the W4, for the most part the bass seems to be hitting around the back of my neck at ear level, and the mids n treble pretty much coming left and right. Is it just me? Having said that I've ever tried the famed barbershop sound clip and for that I could sense forward projection. But not with regular music.  :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back