Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 25, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #2,641 of 5,568
Hello, I have the W4 and had the 232 at the same time weeks ago. To my ears, the 232 (lower) treble were to much present and not as "natural" than the W4...it's the reason why I sold them, couldn't listen to them more than half an hour.

During this time, I received the EM4 and the W4 presentation is more close to them than the 232...

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #2,642 of 5,568
Good to know. Thank you for sharing!

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2,643 of 5,568
Hey guys, I currently own the W4 and after reading the last couple of pages and reading some reviews on the PFE 232, I'm having some trouble deciding whether or not to "upgrade" to the PFE 232. For those that own both, what is the general consensus? Is the PFE 232 overall, better than the W4? As in, do you guys prefer listening to the PFE 232 over the W4? If I do make the purchase, I will be selling my W4s...

Big thanks

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,645 of 5,568

Quote:
Hey guys, I currently own the W4 and after reading the last couple of pages and reading some reviews on the PFE 232, I'm having some trouble deciding whether or not to "upgrade" to the PFE 232. For those that own both, what is the general consensus? Is the PFE 232 overall, better than the W4? As in, do you guys prefer listening to the PFE 232 over the W4? If I do make the purchase, I will be selling my W4s...

Big thanks

I just received my pfe232's today and IMO they're everything the w4r should of been. As soon as I plugged them into my iPhone 4s and hit play on comfortably numb I couldn't do anything but grin. They're that good. The lows go low and hit hard and the highs are just heavenly. While I can't get to technical in my description, I'll save that for the pros on here, they outclass the w4s in just about everything. I will say that I hate the cable on them and much prefer the westone cable, the w4s also isolate better and the case that came with the pfes is pretty putrid. Bottom line though, I'm selling my w4rs. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,646 of 5,568
Wow, those are some really encouraging words. The thought of another universal being "that" much better than the W4 astounds me. I might have to pull the trigger then. Is earphone solutions + coupon the cheapest option? What's the cheapest the PFE 232s have been?

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,648 of 5,568
For the first time I switched the tips. I normally use the long comply or medium "hard" silicone tips but it kept creating discomfort. So I went for the shortest comply, man it's so comfortable. Feels like nothing's there. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,649 of 5,568

Quote:

I just received my pfe232's today and IMO they're everything the w4r should of been. As soon as I plugged them into my iPhone 4s and hit play on comfortably numb I couldn't do anything but grin. They're that good. The lows go low and hit hard and the highs are just heavenly. While I can't get to technical in my description, I'll save that for the pros on here, they outclass the w4s in just about everything. I will say that I hate the cable on them and much prefer the westone cable, the w4s also isolate better and the case that came with the pfes is pretty putrid. Bottom line though, I'm selling my w4rs. 

I'm going to agree that I prefer the cable on my 4Rs (that were sent back due to some loose connectors) except for the memory wire.  However, that doesn't mean the PFE's cable isn't durable, the Kevlar enforcements do make it durable.  And yes, the case that they come with is puny, but does suffice.  W4Rs win in midrange while 232s take bass and highs (highs only slightly though) for me.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,650 of 5,568

Quote:
I'm going to agree that I prefer the cable on my 4Rs (that were sent back due to some loose connectors) except for the memory wire.  However, that doesn't mean the PFE's cable isn't durable, the Kevlar enforcements do make it durable.  And yes, the case that they come with is puny, but does suffice.  W4Rs win in midrange while 232s take bass and highs (highs only slightly though) for me.

Agreed the mid-range on the 4's is better but I much like the highs on the 232. During intense drumming when I'm expecting the crashing sound of the cymbals is there. The w4's just seem a bit laid back. Either way they're both great iem's. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,651 of 5,568

Quote:

Agreed the mid-range on the 4's is better but I much like the highs on the 232. During intense drumming when I'm expecting the crashing sound of the cymbals is there. The w4's just seem a bit laid back. Either way they're both great iem's. 

Based on this, I can cross the 232s off my list. I don't want anymore treble than the W4s as I find them quite neutral (two my ears anyway). FWIW, based on your comments, I wouldn't recommend the SE530/SE535s for you.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2,652 of 5,568

Quote:

That's the weird thing, I found the 4s to be slightly more aggressive (and slightly hotter than them too, but I wouldn't myself categorize these as hot, although I can see why some may want to) than the 232s :p 

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #2,653 of 5,568
That's the weird thing, I found the 4s to be slightly more aggressive (and slightly hotter than them too, but I wouldn't myself categorize these as hot, although I can see why some may want to) than the 232s :p 

As was the case with our friend, sly_in_the_sky, I can definitely see where the PFE232's would push the tolerance level for some listeners, but with the W4, that's highly, highly unlikely; though there are always exceptions, as in your case, my friend.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2,654 of 5,568

Quote:

It's all in the tips. Pick a different tip and the sound really changes. Shure olives, clipped tri-flanges, etc. User-customization or pain in the ass?
tongue.gif
Anyway, while I do EQ my W4, I don't feel any real need to get any other IEMs. A dollar saved...

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,655 of 5,568
Even if a graph don't tell everything, look at the PFE 232 graph in the treble region, there's a peak in the lower treble that confirms that there's a lot (to much for some like me) energy there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back