Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
May 5, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,741 of 5,568

Quote:
Not super hard to find, but still limited choices (assuming you are in N.America).  The CK10 you can find through distributors like AudioCubes or AccessoryJack...probably a couple others or through a Japanese proxy.  The DBA's you can get through Bugden or GD-Audiobase; however, due to my last dealings with GD-Audiobase, I am hesitant to recommend at the moment.  Also... while cheaper than the W4's, both the CK10 and the DBA's aren't exactly uber cheap either (approx. at least over +$170 shipped), and in the case of the DBA's, always seem to be out of stock.

A more available and (temporarily) cheaper alternative to the DBA's might be the B2's from mp4nation.  I think the pre-order is $140 (120-ish with a code somewhere...).  It supposedly uses the exact same casing as the DBA... the internal guts and specific tuning is still in question, but it could be a potential clone or very close in sound signature.

Hope that helps :)

B2, from the last time I auditioned it (back in January -- so, sound signature might have changed), had a really similar sound signature to my DBA-02. So, if you are looking for DBA-02, it wouldn't hurt to consider the B2.

On topic,my Westone 4 is finally arriving the coming Monday -- hopefully that means the comparison review that I am writing will be done soon.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #1,742 of 5,568
Agreed. The W4 fixes everything I found wrong with the W3.  No mid bass bloat into the midrange.  Clearer overall sound with better detail and texture throughout, also with excellent instrument separation.

I wouldn't classify the W4s as a "fixed" W3. They went in an entirely different direction IMO. The Westone 3s are coloured "U" shaped IEMs that I would classify as "fun". The Westone 4s are as neutral an IEM I've heard...balanced in frequency response and very transparent.

I wouldnt either. Definitely different sound signatures but I have the same issues with the W3 that the poster with the question had. Perhaps fixed isn't the term to use but I am from the south and we fix everything, just as I'm fixing to go to work.

May 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,744 of 5,568
These things are incredible. I've been playing around with EQu some more, and the huge detailed sound I'm getting out of them is nothing short of spectacular! 

Don't be misled by my setting for the bass, I'm getting a huge bottom kick with fantastic decay, but in no way is it distorting or bleeding into the mids. The separation is a revelation. It may be shooting fish in a barrel since this is an electronic/dubstep track and digitally sourced sounds are probably the easiest to reproduce in quality, but the W4s are giving me so much more than any of the other universals I've tried. I've even gone back to using a stock triple flange on the left ear, which has been a problematic fit for me with every earphone ever, but I'm getting mo problems from it. In fact, I really don't want to take them out of my ears... ever.

If anyone is reading this and considering W4, do it!

May 5, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,747 of 5,568

Quote:
What are the exact settings? I like to try it when I get home.

Yeah I saw the PFE comments. I guess we can't let it get boring around here huh?

32hz - 10.0db /37hz - 1.2db/400hz - -1.1db/4300hz - 1.3db/7290hz - 1.1db/16000hz - 3.3db
headspace - safe

good luck!

@RADI0HEAD I did have that problem with the Westone supplied triples, which is why I cut the third flanges off - but then I was finding that the insertion wasn't "right" in the left ear, so I've put a Shure triple flange on and am getting identical response to the modded Westone flange on the other ear. Maybe it's just my perception thinking they're different, maybe not!

May 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,749 of 5,568

Quote:
pfe almost the same as w4 my arse

Care to elaborate on your statement with a comparison between the two.  And what filters, source, amp your using.....

May 6, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,750 of 5,568
ahaha... I don't know if High_Q is just trolling, or if he legitimately has an axe to grind with Westone but he's definitely persistent, if nothing else. That SM3 v2 thread is pretty entertaining now.

May 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #1,751 of 5,568

Quote:
ahaha... I don't know if High_Q is just trolling, or if he legitimately has an axe to grind with Westone but he's definitely persistent, if nothing else. That SM3 v2 thread is pretty entertaining now.

I experienced similar issues with the fit so High Q isn't the only one

May 6, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,752 of 5,568

Quote:
I experienced similar issues with the fit so High Q isn't the only one

I don't blame him for having fit problems. As many people have mentioned, it is an universal IEM and it bounds to not work for everyone. However, I do wonder if he has to be... that... angry about it though. he sounds like if the W4 doesn't fit because Westone is purposefully out to get him or something.

And on the PFE sounding similar to the W4... I have to admit I expressed surprised. I auditioned the PFE with grey filters once and I didn't think it sounded all that similar to the W4!

May 6, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #1,754 of 5,568

Quote:
I experienced similar issues with the fit so High Q isn't the only one.

Definitely not part of the current debate, but for what its worth, I had problems with the Westone 4's fit. Casing was awesome, cord was awesome, but I just wish the "stalk" was a little longer. I always felt like I was trying to shove them in.

May 6, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #1,755 of 5,568

Quote:
I paid $400 and no fit.  No problem with any other UNIVERSALS.  Its not Westone out to get me its the people in this thread, they are not open to other people's view(hopefully some of you posting don't work for W4
mad.gif
).  W4 is a useless piece of $$it that sounds like $$it.  Is that descriptive enough?

I had the same awful experience with the Westone 3. Fortunately it was just a loan.

I just can not understand why having a housing as comfortable and isolating as the UM3x housing happens to be they go instead with the that lacking housing on ther personal listening line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back