Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
May 1, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,711 of 5,568
I don't discredit the TF10 comments.  I know it is notorious of fit problems.  I think W4 could be designed better to be more universal.  I paid 4x and much for W than TF10, and I expect more out of the design.  Its not something that cannot be fixed, I believe it could be more universal.  From that I say its GETTO, but people will disagree especially if you have a good fit.  Look at all the posts with rigged tips.  As I am the one that did not get a good fit of 1 IEM of 100 per say, and it will happen.  But, it can be avoided for a good design.  If it was 25/100 I don't get good fit, it more reasonable for me to say its not the design.  but, 1/100 would not be very reasonable.

May 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #1,712 of 5,568
I have no issue with him being dissatisfied with the fit. I know that no universal can fit everyone. It's just the way he expresses it. I love the TF10 signature, i could not get a good fit, and sold it off. You don't find me on the TF10 thread screaming that its design is "GETTO"? He even spelled ghetto wrongly....

Not able to get a good fit? Either get a custom tip, or sell it off and move on. No need to rage continuously in a thread screaming of bad design...

Quote:
good for you, no need to return the hostility especially when high q isn't the only one to experience this issue with the overall shape of the housings

May 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,714 of 5,568
Very successful my A$$.  TF10 is much more successful than W4 with the fit problems.  I can express my opinions as I wish, I'm not bounded by any rule saying I cannot expression my opinions on a product.  And I don't have alien ears, all my IEMs fit on my ears, but W4.  

Every one of my IEMs fit on medium sized tips.

May 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,717 of 5,568

Quote:
I have owned Shure SE530, and they fit fine.  Its similar in the way it is oriented on the ear, but the cylinder is extended more for a better insertion for me.

Just a little factoid - All my >$100 IEMs have required some kind of "ghetto" modding to fit my ears except for my Klipsch x10i which had perfect fit out of the box. Are they my preferred earphones? Not even close to W4. You have every right to be disappointed with your experience with W4, but it's not considered a valid problem with most of us. Yeah I added an extra flange to the existing stock tips to get a proper seal - but that's hardly Westone's failure to take my specific needs into account! Maybe they could have made the cylinders longer and given more tip choices, but the reality is that it isn't really necessary given how easily and inexpensively I circumvented the seal issue.

You cite Triple.Fi 10s as an example of a perfect fit universal for you - a design utterly notorious among users as having terrible fit issues. I still can't get a good balance between seal and comfort with my left ear canal and TF10 - should I send them back in anger? nah, because I don't expect UE to have thought of my ears when they manfactured the shells for the TF10s. Instead I'll keep buying different sized and shaped tips, experimenting with different combinations of silicone and comply, gel etc. It's all part of the fun for me and I'm sure for many others. 

May 1, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,718 of 5,568
I never did.  Please get facts straight before accusing.

Quote:

You cite Triple.Fi 10s as an example of a perfect fit universal for you

May 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,719 of 5,568
*Raises hands*

Quote:
Enough with the "getto" already. Time to move on. Return your W4s and let everyone else who enjoys them enjoy them discuss why. Everyone who is tired of the "getto" discussion raise your hands (hand raises). Fit is a critical variable with universals, and there probably is not a universal that appealed 100 percent of buyers.

On another note, does anyone else use stock tips? I find them perfectly comfortable with a good isolation, but i might try buying a set of shure olives to try out. I loved the olives on my previous UM3X.

May 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,721 of 5,568

Quote:
^Look at the list my IEMs.  No fit issues with any of them, even TF10.  But on W4??  what a scam.
mad.gif
  So, you want me let it go unnoticed?  Is this what Head-Fi does, hype up bad IEMs like these, and rip people off???  I will just start a W4 depreciation thread then!

These are UNIVERSALS!!!!

Quote:
I never did.  Please get facts straight before accusing.

Oh I'm sorry, I guess when I say "no fit issues" that generally indicates that the IEMs in question fit perfectly for me. I guess despite your W4 rant you DO accept mediocrity.

May 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,722 of 5,568

Quote:
On another note, does anyone else use stock tips? I find them perfectly comfortable with a good isolation, but i might try buying a set of shure olives to try out. I loved the olives on my previous UM3X.

Yeah I'm fortunate enough to have all of medium and large tips fit with my ear. My friend just bought the shure se215's and he said he'd give me the medium olives!

May 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #1,723 of 5,568
I use the Meelec biflange tips with a spacer and it gives me the best sound and fit.

However after tomorrow morning or afternoon I will no longer be an owner of the Westone 4. I put mine up in the FS forums and another head-fi member responded. I will say that these are the best universals I have heard and I have high hope for what is to come in the future for top universals if they are anything like the W4 in technical ability. In fact I probably will regret selling these and if I ever get a higher disposable income I may buy these again. They have great top and bottom extension, great bass quality, great smooth lush midrange and a very smooth top where very few would find them offensive. Overall I find them worth the amount I paid and even though I'll be losing a couple bucks by selling them I don't regret owning them.

For those interested I wrote a review on them a few days ago along with some other universals and the link is in my signature.

May 1, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,725 of 5,568
I would have to agree. You would remembering me PM-ing you about comparisons between the 1964-T and the W4. I decided to go with the W4's due to wanting to avoid the hassle of getting impressions, shipping them in, waiting for a couple of months and praying for no fit issues. Overall, i'm very happy with my purchase. My only regret being i paid full retail price for them, and they popped up in my local audio forums for sale site for about $100 lesser...

Quote:
I use the Meelec biflange tips with a spacer and it gives me the best sound and fit.

However after tomorrow morning or afternoon I will no longer be an owner of the Westone 4. I put mine up in the FS forums and another head-fi member responded. I will say that these are the best universals I have heard and I have high hope for what is to come in the future for top universals if they are anything like the W4 in technical ability. In fact I probably will regret selling these and if I ever get a higher disposable income I may buy these again. They have great top and bottom extension, great bass quality, great smooth lush midrange and a very smooth top where very few would find them offensive. Overall I find them worth the amount I paid and even though I'll be losing a couple bucks by selling them I don't regret owning them.

For those interested I wrote a review on them a few days ago along with some other universals and the link is in my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back