Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
May 1, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #1,696 of 5,568
^Look at my IEM list, why do I not have problem with all those IEMs, but W4?  Why does none of the tips give me a good fit?  Its the design, not my ears.  Poor design, and already people have getto rigged the tips, look at this thread for evidence.  Anyhow, this has got to be my absolute worst experience with IEMs that cost over $400.  I can tell anyone that is hanging around this thread to forget about Westones, get the EX-1000, you won't regret it.  It is the most High end IEMs I have listened to so far.  I've noticed that W4 is very reactive to what source I give it, it sounds like crap out of my CMOY amp, but yet my EX-1000 would great on any source I give it.

Nope...not poor design, just that UNIVERSAL DOES NOT EQUAL ONE SIZE FITS ALL.

BTW, here's my IEM list:

SE110
SE115
SE210
SE310
SE530
SE535
Westone 3
Westone 4
IE8
TF10
ER-4P
RE-0
NE-8
NE-700M

And the ONLY one that was absolutely a horrendous fit where the TF10s...by a country mile! Does that make them "ghetto". Far from it, just didn't jive with my ears. I understand the limitations with universals. Maybe you should look into custom IEMs?

May 1, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,697 of 5,568
IMO, its poor design if all UNIVERSALS fit my ears except this one. Looks like I'm not the only one by how people getto rig the tip to get even a decent fit.  Look at my list of IEMs that I have... I don't think I need customs, I just need to avoid anything Westones in the future because they are GETTO.  $400, but GETTO.

Quote:
And the ONLY one that was absolutely a horrendous fit where the TF10s...by a country mile! Does that make them "ghetto". Far from it, just didn't jive with my ears. I understand the limitations with universals. Maybe you should look into custom IEMs?

May 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,699 of 5,568
Quote:
IMO, its poor design if all UNIVERSALS fit my ears except this one. Looks like I'm not the only one by how people getto rig the tip to get even a decent fit.  Look at my list of IEMs that I have... I don't think I need customs, I just don't need anymore Westone IEMs because they are GETTO.  $400, but GETTO.

The thing you're missing is that, for any specific IEM, if you look hard enough you'll find one person who could get a perfect fit with every IEM they tried except for that one.  That makes all IEMs equally ghetto which means you've defined a useless term because it provides no distinction.

May 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,700 of 5,568
IMO, its poor design if all UNIVERSALS fit my ears except this one. Looks like I'm not the only one by how people getto rig the tip to get even a decent fit.  Look at my list of IEMs that I have... I don't think I need customs, I just need to avoid anything Westones in the future because they are GETTO.  $400, but GETTO.

Then what about my experiences with all my IEMs and the TF10s not fitting and everything else was average to great? Again, you're the outlier here, I'm sorry you have to go through this, but with universal IEMs, that CAN be par for the course.

May 1, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #1,701 of 5,568
@MAV:

Get a pair of W4, and open it up, and let me know what you think. look at all the tips it comes with, and experience how well they work.  Then listen to it, if you get a fit, and tell me what you think before forming a opinion.

May 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,703 of 5,568
I have a pair of W4's, and the fit is PERFECT with stock tips.

You don't like the W4's? Fine. Go to the TF10 appreciation thread and post about the amazing fit and stop trolling here.

May 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,704 of 5,568
Quote:
@MAV:

Get a pair of W4, and open it up, and let me know what you think. look at all the tips it comes with, and experience how well they work.  Then listen to it, if you get a fit, and tell me what you think before forming a opinion.

I don't need to and it would be irrelevant even if I did.  A sample size of one has no bearing on the success of the design.  No single design will fit everyone so the only way to make a judgement about the design is through a large sample of people.  The fact that you are in the minority of people who this design does not fit doesn't make it a poor design.  The only way to judge it as a poor design would be for more people to have trouble with the fit than with other IEMs that use a similar number of drivers and thus need to be of a similar size.  By these standards (which are the only reasonable standards I'm aware of) the W4 is doing very well.  Despite having more drivers than any other universal it shares the same casing as the W3 with one less driver and you seem to be the only one making a big deal about the fit.

You could probably make a case about the other Westone universals being poorly designed because each series (W and UM) uses the sames casing when clearly only the W4 (and probable upcoming UM4) actually need all that space.  Making them smaller will clearly help them fit more people and this is the reason it was mentioned earlier that single driver, entry-level IEMs require less experimenting to get a good fit.  You can't make the argument for the W4 since there isn't any room to make it smaller.

May 1, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,705 of 5,568
I'm just not satisfied with my purchase of paying $400, and will return them.   I expect a bit more for that price.  As for my logic, 13 IEMs fit, so why not the 14th.  I'm not asking for make smaller casing or what not, I think extending the cylinder a bit or design it in a way for a much deeper insert would help in my case.  Anyway, I'm done with my rant, I'm sure there are many that share my opinion as I've seen some getto rigs on this thread.  LOL.  W never again for me, since they are all shaped the same, my ears are not compatable with them, but I'm sure all others are fine(the good ones).  I'm just expressing my opinions.

May 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,708 of 5,568
I have owned Shure SE530, and they fit fine.  Its similar in the way it is oriented on the ear, but the cylinder is extended more for a better insertion for me.

May 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,709 of 5,568

Quote:
I have a pair of W4's, and the fit is PERFECT with stock tips.

You don't like the W4's? Fine. Go to the TF10 appreciation thread and post about the amazing fit and stop trolling here.

good for you, no need to return the hostility especially when high q isn't the only one to experience this issue with the overall shape of the housings

May 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #1,710 of 5,568
Quote:

It sounds like you're using your ears as a criteria for whether or not an IEM has a good fit for everyone else. Yes, you may not get a good fit with the Westone 4s, but that doesn't mean others don't. Owning a Westone 4, I can say that using them with the provided Comply tips provides a very comfortable fit, to the point where I can sleep with them on if I wanted to. I mean you've obviously read the comments people have about the TF10's fit, are you willing to discredit those comments as lies and slander? The nature of any universal IEM is that it may or may not get a good fit, the manufacturers just try their best to have it be comfortable for all types of ears,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back