Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #976 of 5,568
I always ask them to make the invoice like $8 when I import stuff from outside the EU. I only regret that this little tip didn't reach you sooner
triportsad.gif

Quote:
Just got home from work to find the FedEx invoice - £63.00!

So that's a pointer if anyone is thinking of importing from US to UK. Looks like the Coppers are going then!

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #977 of 5,568
Thanks markh78...I don't have any fit issues with the w4. Use the gray silicone and medium olives.. but I did like the Sony hybrid tips with my senn ie8 when I had it. I can get the hybrids at my local best buy cheap, so I'll have to de-core a used up pr of olives soon and try it.
Listening to the new Adele today with the w4 is quite fantastic.. vocals are just so right on for me and the detail is stunning... and with the more than adequate bass... I'm having "fun" listening to boot... how nice!! lol..

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #979 of 5,568
That is a great mod on the sony hybrids. I also used sony hybrids but superglued them on a comply tip. However, putting the tube upside down and then just putting the sony hybrids on does the trick because it makes the stem a bit bigger, allowing for deeper insertion. I switched my mod to yours markh. Great job!

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #980 of 5,568
once again i'll ask the question. where do you get these sony hybrid tips from?
markh, nice job! what is the blue thing that you put onto the 535 core (the yellow cylinder is the 535 core, right?)? is that the sony tip core? is that the way the sony tips come or did you have to work on them (if the latter another pictorial would be very helpful!)? tia.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #982 of 5,568
themp3company.co.uk has em in stock now for £320 in the uk.  Never used them my self.  Me I'm waiting for Iheadphones (who I have used and have been brilliant in replacing faulty gear,  and have no relation to).co.uk to get them in and see what the price is then (even though my buy finger is getting itchy!).

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #983 of 5,568

Quote:
once again i'll ask the question. where do you get these sony hybrid tips from?
markh, nice job! what is the blue thing that you put onto the 535 core (the yellow cylinder is the 535 core, right?)? is that the sony tip core? is that the way the sony tips come or did you have to work on them (if the latter another pictorial would be very helpful!)? tia.

The sonys are colour co ordinated for size.  orange-small, green-medium blue-large

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #984 of 5,568
doh!! thanks guys! now all i have do is get my hands on some w4s, and then worry about the tips.... 
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #986 of 5,568

Quote:
They're a pretty good company. They also do a lot of business through Amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=1&seller=A7EL6FXUBCG7Z

That's advancedmp3, a different company. I haven't bought anything from the mp3company so can't really help there. What doesn't ring true for me is www.themp3company.co.uk and www.theheadphonecompany.co.uk appear to be the same site.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #988 of 5,568
I got my W4's today! I gotta say out of the box i was pretty impressed especially when I changed the tips to the large gray ones. I'm not an expert at describing sounds but wow they do everything right. From my favorite K-Pop tunes to the laid back acoustic instrumentals. I'm gonna try to post more impressions once i get to listen to these more and get to experiment with these tips. I'm just gonna enjoy them for now!

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #989 of 5,568

Quote:
I got my W4's today! I gotta say out of the box i was pretty impressed especially when I changed the tips to the large gray ones. I'm not an expert at describing sounds but wow they do everything right. From my favorite K-Pop tunes to the laid back acoustic instrumentals. I'm gonna try to post more impressions once i get to listen to these more and get to experiment with these tips. I'm just gonna enjoy them for now!

That's interesting. I couldn't bring myself to like the grey ones. I prefer the white silicone ones, but they're sort of uncomfortable.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #990 of 5,568
Here is my version of the Sony Hybrid mod (or how I interpreted it when I first read about it):

I just took the medium Complys that came with, tore off the foam with my fingernails, and then put the Sony Hybrids on. 
I set the plastic Comply core away from the shell by about 2mm so that the tips could go deeper into my ears.

As you can see below, the gray part (Comply core) meets almost flush with the Sony openings.  It almost looks 'stock'. 

When you do this, be sure to take off as much of the Comply foam from the plastic core as you can.  There will be a bit of
glue residue left over- that's okay.  You just don't want any little bits of loose foam getting into the sound tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back