Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 12, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #707 of 5,568

Being impatient is expensive… but oh, so rewarding.  Just got my W4’s, I can’t wait to see how these are in relation to my SM3’s.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4104/50095540.jpg

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #712 of 5,568
I constantly hear about W3 highs that supposedly can be too hot and sibilant. In fact my problem with W3 that I have to actually EQ highs up and to dial down bass around 150Hz to open sound up and clear warmish suffocating goo over mids. Normally I don't EQ my phones and on iPhone that I prefer to use on the go it's down right impossible to properly do.That's the basis of my love-hate relationship with W3 - I feel great sound lurking behind the veil but can't fully reveal it. Btw, my tips are moded tri-flanges, any other tips except for long foams just simply don't fit me well.

I'm very tempted by W4. But given my experience with W3 will they be an improvement for me, what do ya'all think?

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #713 of 5,568

Quote:
W4 bought. As soon as I get them, I'll do a comparison w/ the SE535 which just arrived yesterday. Let the games begin!

I look forward to your impressions :) I read anaxilus's thread OMG I WANT THE W4's

"Westone 4 - Westone 3 not fun enough?  Here you go.  Soundstage not wide enough for you?  Again, Here you go.  Drum Kits were literally playing in a 180 degree arc in front of me from left to right"

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #714 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
W4 bought. As soon as I get them, I'll do a comparison w/ the SE535 which just arrived yesterday. Let the games begin!

I look forward to your impressions :) I read anaxilus's thread OMG I WANT THE W4's

"Westone 4 - Westone 3 not fun enough?  Here you go.  Soundstage not wide enough for you?  Again, Here you go.  Drum Kits were literally playing in a 180 degree arc in front of me from left to right"

Just to clarify, while some might consider the W3 more 'fun' in coloration, the W4s balance would be more 'enjoyable' to my ears.  So perhaps that would be the more operative word.  No mistaking the SS though, very wide from my listening.  

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #717 of 5,568
Has anybody compared the W4's to the JH5's yet? I'm considering venturing into customs but because of the W4's I'm having second thoughts.

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #718 of 5,568
Base on my long experience with jh13 and um3x. I think it will be quite hard to compare jh5 with w4. If you will ask me why? Different company = different idea of sound. For example jh13 is simply better than um3x at almost every way but if you like sound characteristic of the Westone like me, I enjoyed um3x so much that I may prefer their base sound characteristic more. It sounds strange I know
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back