Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 27, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #586 of 5,568

Quote:
OK, I'll rephrase my question:

Can those of you who have heard the W4 tell me how much easier to drive are the W3, UM3X or ES3X compared to the W4? If you could express the difference in percentage terms, I'd be grateful.

Quote:
I have a question for those who have listened to the W4 AND either the W3 UM3X, ES3X and/ or TF10.

One thing that seems to be a fact is that the W4s are harder to drive (less sensitive) than the W3 UM3X or ES3X. I have a new DAP, the Sony NWZ-A847, but it has the dreaded European volume cap. This is one of the reasons why I sold my TF10s. With my more sensitive ES3X & UM3X I normally set the volume on the A847 at 10-13 out of 30 and previously at 7-10 out of 30 on my Sony X1061 (now sold).

With the TF10, on the other hand, it was 15-18 on the new A847 and 10-13 on the X1061.

However, with some old classical recordings I have, and wanting to listen somewhat loudly at times, I need to go as far as 17-22 with the UM3X & ES3X on the new A847 as opposed to 13-18 with the X1061. With the TF10, and with the same music, 22-27 with the A847 and 17-22 on the X1061.

Knowing that those who have heard some of these IEMs may not have the Sony X (or the European A847), my question is, can you be more specific, percentage-wise, as to how sensitive (ie easy to drive) the W4 is compared to the UM3X, ES3X, W3 and/ or TF10. You may compare it to your iPod, Cowon or any other DAP you have.

Quote:
^^ Thanks shigzeo. By "easy to dive" I'm talking about volume only, IEMs where you don't need to go so high with the volume on your DAP because they're more sensitive. In that respect my TF10s needed more volume from my DAPs to volume match my ES3X, UM3X & W3. That's why I did all those comparisons in my earlier post, always focusing on volume levels only.

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, well, I don't know if I am a good one to ask as I listen to comparatively low volumes. For instance, my ES10 never gets more than 60% of the volume slider on my iPod touch. My CK10 even less. The W4 about 1/3 and the same for the W3. Those are all on the train levels. At home, not a one goes above 50% and most are less than 1/4.

Quote:
^^ Thanks shigzeo. By "easy to dive" I'm talking about volume only, IEMs where you don't need to go so high with the volume on your DAP because they're more sensitive. In that respect my TF10s needed more volume from my DAPs to volume match my ES3X, UM3X & W3. That's why I did all those comparisons in my earlier post, always focusing on volume levels only.

I also generally listen to music at relatively low volumes, between 7-10 (out of 30) on my Sony X, and now 10-13 (out of 30) on my Sony A847 because of the EU volume cap -- but that is using my UM3X & ES3X. With my TF10, and with both DAPs, I had to go even higher, 10-13 with the Sony X, and 15-18 with the A847.

So, are you saying you use the same volume levels with both the W3 & W4? I believe FrederikS|TPU, HPA and one or two more people, either here on HF or another website, said the W4s were not as easy to drive as the W3 & UM3X (and ES3X). I'd like confirmation of this and what the difference is roughly.

If I listen to the iPhone 4 with W3 or UM3X at 40% volume and switch to the W4 I have to take it to 50% to get the same volume levels. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #587 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide which iem to get next . Right now I've just purchased the ie8i (really enjoying them by the way), and I also have a TF 10 pro re-cabled with a Null Audio Lune cable. I've narrowed it down to the W4 or W3, can anyone who have listened to both tell me which of the two have better details and transparency?

I can't answer your question because I haven't listened to both. Buti have had the W3 and from the comments here, the W4 definitely seems to have transparency. The W3 has the same kind of v shaped frequency that the Triple.fi does. I think the W4 would be a nice balance to your collection (I've had the triple.fi and IE8 as well).

Thanks Imackler, would you say the W3 has more transparency than Triple.Fi?

I wouldn't, the midbass hump makes everything noticeably thicker than the triple fi's

Quote:
I concur. The midbass hump was one of the things I liked the least about the W3.

Thanks guys, maybe I should check out the Grado GR10 for their details and transparency.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #588 of 5,568

Quote:
The W4 is flatter in the midrange than both, so in some ways, the volume in either extreme is compartiely lower. That means that to hear the same sparkle or low rumble as you do one the W3, you will need more volume. As for comfortable volumes, the W3 can be used at lower volume, but only just and I think that has more to do with its sound frequency response than being hard to drive. At the same volume levels, the parts of the spectrum that the ear has a hard time hearing are perceptually louder. The same perception is also probably helping the opinion that the sound stage is bigger on the W3.

Your Sony is good up till about 80% of its volume slider and the iPod till about 90%, so there is no worry at all about raising the volume level. This shouldn't even be a concern with good players like are available on the market now. Years ago, it might have been a concern, but not today. The W4 won't cause your player to distort if you don't raise volume higher than 80%.

For referene, I am listening to Vibrasphere exploring the tributaries in control song at 4 or 5 on the ipod touch volume rocker with the W3 and am keenly comfortable at office. When I get home, I'll confirm the same volume with the W4.

Well, using the TF10s with the new A847 and playing some old quieter classical music recordings I have, and wanting to listen at louder than usual volumes, I found I had to go up to 90% (26-28); I did notice a difference in SQ (deteriorating) at such levels. And like I said, that was one reason why I sold my TF10s.

When I had the Sony X, I'd only need to go as far as 20-22 with the TF10s with the same recordings, and never noticed the SQ becoming worse.

On a separate note, one nice thing I've noticed on the A847, is that it hisses less than the Sony X, and the difference is not small. I think you wrote some time ago you didn't like your A845 (A846?) because it hissed as much as the Sony X, that being the one thing you couldn't tolerate on both Walkamans. In my case I could live with the X's hiss, got used to it, but did notice the difference straightaway when I first heard the A847. Perhaps for the European release of the A847 Sony improved this particular aspect of the player? I doubt it, but you never know.

Quote:
If I listen to the iPhone 4 with W3 or UM3X at 40% volume and switch to the W4 I have to take it to 50% to get the same volume levels. 

Hey, thanks. This is pretty much the type of answer I was looking for.

Sounds like the W4 may be easier to drive than the TF10s, then. Seems like they'd fall between the UM3X & TF10.

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #589 of 5,568
Hey guys quick question, how does the bass quantity and quality compare with the TF10s? I like bass quite a bit north of neutral and have good impact like IE8s since about 75% of my music is rap/hip hop/rnb. Do you guys think W4 fits good with those genres? thx for any answer

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #590 of 5,568

Quote:
Hey guys quick question, how does the bass quantity and quality compare with the TF10s? I like bass quite a bit north of neutral and have good impact like IE8s since about 75% of my music is rap/hip hop/rnb. Do you guys think W4 fits good with those genres? thx for any answer

I think the westone 3's would be more suitable, from all current accounts, the westone 4's are less bassier than there brothers. for hip hop/rap, a dynamic driver based phone would be better suited. monster miles davis tributes, turbine pro golds/coppers being a good example

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #591 of 5,568
Ahh thanks buffalo, that was what I was speculating. I probably won't go for the W4s then. A little off topic, what about SM3s in terms of bass quantity, any insights to how that compares with the W4s?

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #592 of 5,568
Couple questions:
1) Has anyone heard of any release date on the W4 yet?
but even more...

2) For those of you who have heard the W4, are there any genres that won't really shine with them? I listen to classical music (string quartets and concertos most; symphonies least), jazz (50's and 60's-lots of Coltrane), world (Enya, Loreena McKennit), alternative and post rock. From what I'm reading, the W4 should be a great all rounder with good details and soundstage without emphasizing bass, mids or treble to the expense of others.

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #594 of 5,568
yeah, i asked Flavio about this a week ago and 6 pages back.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/495#post_7219279 
it was supposed to be up a week and a half ago. so far he's been silent.

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #595 of 5,568
Sorry if this is a slight 'thread-jack' but I've been almost craving a pair of Westone ES5's, these in the UK are close to £999.
I'd be using them straight from the HP out on my 80GB iPod Video.
In terms of sound, would I be better off buying a new PMP, possibly a RWA iMod, W4's and a Portable Amp, like the RSA Protector?
I mean, not everyone has used these products, but an over-all idea on your opinion would be good.
So,
The Best Customs In The World or, Quality PMP, Quality AMP and Quality IEM's?
Money. Money. Music :D

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #596 of 5,568

Quote:
Ahh thanks buffalo, that was what I was speculating. I probably won't go for the W4s then. A little off topic, what about SM3s in terms of bass quantity, any insights to how that compares with the W4s?

@rangerid as posted in prior responses if your genres of choice are as listed a dynamic driver is best for you. SM3's have less bass than the W3 so you're headed in the wrong direction. I think unless you're looking for a 'punchy' bass response with the frequency and in some cases (moving armature like GR10/GR8/Ortonfon) the 'feel' of the bass, you want the Monster Pros or Sennheiser ie8. If you're on a budget the Future Sonic atrio is a good choice too. SM3 and other armatures seem to focus on frequency response without the physical moving air that we contribute to 'bass response'. Again, the W4 and this road is the wrong turn for you. These would all sound 'cold' or even bass light to you I believe.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #597 of 5,568
The thread title should be changed from " Westone 4? " to " Westone 4: Appreciation Thread ". Just a suggestion.
gs1000.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #598 of 5,568
Quote:
Quote:

@rangerid as posted in prior responses if your genres of choice are as listed a dynamic driver is best for you. SM3's have less bass than the W3 so you're headed in the wrong direction. I think unless you're looking for a 'punchy' bass response with the frequency and in some cases (moving armature like GR10/GR8/Ortonfon) the 'feel' of the bass, you want the Monster Pros or Sennheiser ie8. If you're on a budget the Future Sonic atrio is a good choice too. SM3 and other armatures seem to focus on frequency response without the physical moving air that we contribute to 'bass response'. Again, the W4 and this road is the wrong turn for you. These would all sound 'cold' or even bass light to you I believe.

As you divert traffic off the road, I have to ask: ...have you actually heard the W4s? I haven't but I'm not standing here holding detour signs either..

Jan 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #599 of 5,568

yeah, i asked Flavio about this a week ago and 6 pages back.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/495#post_7219279 

it was supposed to be up a week and a half ago. so far he's been silent.

Sorry but we got caught up on a huge pile of to-do list that was not in the schedule but is kind of urgent and we will need more time to put that review out.

My apologies. I'll give an update as soon as I have it. So far, classical music lovers, it should be a no-brainer. But there's a bunch of other considerations we need to address like design, build, accessories, sound quality and signature for different music styles just to name a few. And the challenge again is to do that concisely and not provoke more questions than answer questions.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #600 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As you divert traffic off the road, I have to ask: ...have you actually heard the W4s? I haven't but I'm not standing here holding detour signs either..

No I haven't. But going by others reactions/description they have less bass than W3/UM3x. I have many triple armature headphones and they all have 'punch' but no boom. My Atrios and other dynamic drivers have more bass quantity. If the motivation is a good headphone for rap/hip hop/ trance etc the direction should be in something more suited to that format : ie8 etc. If not wouldn't the W3 make more sense as a 'bassier' triple driver than the incoming W4? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back