Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #376 of 5,568

Quote:
On another note, I'm having a WOW! moment listening to the W4 with my uDAC-2 as well.  

You're killing me Larry... How do they sound with the iBasso D4?? 

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #377 of 5,568
Not related to the W4's but when i read:
"Apple owns the market share"
True

But one thing I heard from my friend:
"They are developing the iphone5, or so it's been heard..."
"I tell you what I can't wait to get the iphone5, as i haven't got the newest iphone4, but got the 3gs...the battery life on it SUCKS, and i bet the iphone5's battery will be better! Hopefully not dying within a year or 2 like my 3gs has done"

At the time of saying that I almost burst in tears...all i did:
*Puts hand in pocket, and gets out the SGS*
See...i won't have that problem funnily enough. *Open back lid of the SGS*
"yeah i can replace the battery, and bought the non-official one for £8 on amazon....how do iFail4 users feel?"

His reply: "That's cool man!"
Me: "Hell yeah...still want to buy the iFail4/5?" LOL

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #379 of 5,568
Thanks for all the advice. It sounds like the W4 is worth the upgrade, given earphonesolutions will allow me to return the W3 at full price and apply the 5% discount to the W4 at $449. 

A few more thoughts:

I bought the W3 as an upgrade from the Shure SCL4. These are clearly two different classes of earphones. I love the bass range on the Westone's and can finally enjoy listening to hip-hop again. I do miss something, however, in the mid range on vocals and accoustic, percussion, etc. I guess you can't have it all.

On those Shure's, several times I ended up having to replace the piece which fits into the ear due to wax getting lodged inside. Those parts are customer replaceable and cheap enough that I didnt really find it a big deal. On the W3's, that piece is not replaceable and I am a little worried about the same thing happening even if I am dilligent about cleaning. I found one possible solution- the Comply Tx-100 tips which incluce a wax-guard inside. Anyone have any experience with those tips?

Finally, I would love to hear opinions on the best IEM for:

Latin
Hip-Hop
Classical
Rock

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #380 of 5,568
I use the Tx-100s on my SE530s and they work fine for me.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #381 of 5,568
I owned the W3 in the past and IMO they were great IEM's. The only thing I didn't like about them was the heavy bass and mids were a little recessed. The W4 seems to have taken it up another level and eliminated a lot of the flaws in the W3.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #382 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
Most people prefer to buy a new cheap $20 earbud every other month than a quality IEM. It's just lack of knowledge I guess.

So true. A friend of mine bought some $5 earbuds from some facebook daily deal thing and tells me "they're awesome".

Right.

Ignorance is bliss, at least where the wallet is concerned.

my friend told me my super.fi 5 pros sounded worst than his iBuds which are as he describes "sound great!" even though I told him you needed to get a fit, he told me "why does it matter? it's still producing the same sound" 

felt like getting a 2x4 and smacking him across the head with it.  -.-"

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #383 of 5,568
HAHAHA!

Quote:
my friend told me my super.fi 5 pros sounded worst than his iBuds which are as he describes "sound great!" even though I told him you needed to get a fit, he told me "why does it matter? it's still producing the same sound" 

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #384 of 5,568

Quote:

Heh...
cool.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #385 of 5,568

Quote:
How big an improvement would I notice coming from my UM2s to those W4?

my w2s (going by memory here) are much better than my um2s were, so it's hard to imagine the w4 not wiping the floor with the um2s!

Quote:
Hi HeadphoneAddict, would you say the W4 have better clarity and details compare to W3? Also which of the two do you think have better extensions on both sides of the frequency spectrum?

see his previous impressions in this thread, including one a mere 13 posts before yours (why am i doing your homework for you?!?):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/225#post_7175150
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/270#post_7183324
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/360#post_7199437

Quote:
Team W.P.U I set the record of 132 post per 24hrs. Along with another member....can you beat it????

yeah, 3 or 4 years ago Laine did something like 300 posts in 24hrs, destroying your 'record' (years before you even joined head-fi!) though his methodology was so cheesy and suspect that a mod eventually undid it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #386 of 5,568

Quote:
On another note, I'm having a WOW! moment listening to the W4 with my uDAC-2 as well.  

Thanks for all the impressions so far HPA. Your initial review sealed the deal when it came to deciding whether or not to buy these. Did you run a seperate DAC to the uDAC or did you have your source connected directly to it?

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #387 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
How big an improvement would I notice coming from my UM2s to those W4?

my w2s (going by memory here) are much better than my um2s were, so it's hard to imagine the w4 not wiping the floor with the um2s!

Quote:
Hi HeadphoneAddict, would you say the W4 have better clarity and details compare to W3? Also which of the two do you think have better extensions on both sides of the frequency spectrum?

see his previous impressions in this thread, including one a mere 13 posts before yours (why am i doing your homework for you?!?):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/225#post_7175150
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/270#post_7183324
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4/360#post_7199437

Quote:
Team W.P.U I set the record of 132 post per 24hrs. Along with another member....can you beat it????

yeah, 3 or 4 years ago Laine did something like 300 posts in 24hrs, destroying your 'record' (years before you even joined head-fi!) though his methodology was so cheesy and suspect that a mod eventually undid it.

hmpffhhf...I doubt he/she could beat out team effort though, anywho, not derailing the thread, think westone will allow me to trade my w3's in for a w4? seeing as they are to be replaced/repaired by westone

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #389 of 5,568
Quote:
buffalowings said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmpffhhf...I doubt he/she could beat out team effort though,

what's needed here on h-f is quality, not quantity. let's improve the signal to noise ratio! (especially since the search function on huddler is less effective than pre-huddler!)

Quote:
buffalowings said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
 think westone will allow me to trade my w3's in for a w4? seeing as they are to be replaced/repaired by westone

why ask us? try asking westone. perhaps they'll let you pay the diff, who knows. if not mebbe a dealer will take them in trade. else sell them and buy 4s. lotsa ways to approach this one.

Quote:
I was about to purchase the se535 when the Westone 4s came out, well I guess I'll have to wait for the reviews and comparison.

take two for the team, get both and do the comparo. then let us know whatcha think! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #390 of 5,568
The W4 indeed does sound interesting. It has too high a price tag for me to justify purchasing something that I won't be able to know what it sounds like before. I did like the Westone products that I have tried in the W2 and W3 but without actually trying it first I don't think I can be able to buy it especially if it is a different sound signature just like how W2 and W3 are different. I am curious on how the Westone 3 could be improved on however. I felt the W3 was great but not to my signature so if it is better but closer to my preference then that would be pretty special.

Maybe If there's a meet on the east coast near where I am and Westone decides to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back