Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #271 of 5,568

Quote:
NEWS NEWS NEWS

Westone new website https://www.westonemusicproducts.com/music-products/pro-audio/custom-fit-pro-audio-0

Westone 4 MSRP $639!!!! O_O  ......Pre-order in Feb and get it for intro price of $449!!!

Wow so expensive retail price, is it gonna be crazy good?  the website looks pretty good

You don't need to pre-order to get it for $449 and within a coule of months for even less. It's a well known fact that no-one pays the MSRP. If you check the Westone website you'll see:

Westone UM3X with detachable cable: MSRP $575, actual price $399 or less

Westone UM3X with fixed cable: MSRP $549, actual price $379 or less

Westone UM2 with detachable cable: MSRP $450, actual price $299 or less

Westone UM2 with fixed cable: MSRP $420, actual price $279 or less

Westone 3: MSRP $499, actual price $399 or less. http://www.westonemusicproducts.com/catalog/westone-3-true-three-way-earphone

Westone 3: MSRP $569, actual price $399 or less. http://www.westone.com/catalog/westone-3-true-three-way-earphone

Westone 2: MSRP $339, actual price $249 or less

Basically it's all a marketing trick to make consumers think they're getting a pretty good deal when in actual fact they are not.

Even the actual prices for all these IEMs are pretty high. These days you can get a Quad (4 drivers) custom IEM for $500 or a Triple (3 drivers) custom IEM for $350: http://1964ears.com/products.html -- needless to say they all come with detachable cables, too.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #272 of 5,568
Yeah, I knew of the markup up MSRP thing. But still its only $50 more than what the W3 usually sells for!
As for the 4 way cross over. Wouldnt they just split all the audible frequencies evenly?

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #273 of 5,568
It depends on how it is implemented. Regardless of the markup the MSRP is still pretty staggering. I guess we will find out soon whenever HeadphoneAddict posts his final thoughts on them.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #274 of 5,568
BRIEF SECOND THOUGHTS:  Still doing more listening tonight, and I do think the W4 sound is groundbreaking for a universal IEM.  

It's the best universal that I could be happy with in place of a custom IEM, and I don't feel a constant desire/need to switch over to one of my better custom IEM.  Is it better than my ES5 or JH13Pro?  No, but I might like this one more than my ES3X, and certainly more than my UE11Pro (unless using the UE11Pro with my Woo WA6 amp).  The ES3X are not quite as warm and full sounding as the W4, although they are exceedingly detailed and transparent and call attention to that fact.  The W4 don't seem to call attention to anything, and just do a superb job without a lot of fanfare.  On a technical basis, the ES3X are probably a little ahead, but the W4 are a little more musical and liquid sounding and less dry (like some would say with the proverbial SS amp vs tube amp comparison).  I'd say the W4 are closer to my ES5 than my other IEM, but with a little smoother treble and slightly more forgiving sound signature for poorly recorded music.

For those that think the W3 needs better bass control/balance, or that they need a fuller midrange, or who feel they are sibilant at times, the W4 should be just the ticket to satisfy their needs.  For those who feel the W3 are perfect, the W4 improve upon them with the little tweaks here and there, but should not alienate a W3 lover.  For those who love the UM3X, the W4 mids are still full and rich although not as forward, and the sound is less dry and more organic and powerful sounding.

That's all for now.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #275 of 5,568
Quote:
...That's all for now.

That's a lot!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #276 of 5,568
Nice second thoughts I don't know if it were mentioned but how is fit??? W3-ish??? That thing annoyed me.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #277 of 5,568

Quote:
Nice second thoughts I don't know if it were mentioned but how is fit??? W3-ish??? That thing annoyed me.

it has the exact same housing as the westone 3...exactly the same

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #278 of 5,568
That's what I thought still worth a try the sound sig sounds delicious!

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #280 of 5,568

Quote:
BRIEF SECOND THOUGHTS:  Still doing more listening tonight, and I do think the W4 sound is groundbreaking for a universal IEM.  

It's the best universal that I could be happy with in place of a custom IEM, and I don't feel a constant desire/need to switch over to one of my better custom IEM.  Is it better than my ES5 or JH13Pro?  No, but I might like this one more than my ES3X, and certainly more than my UE11Pro (unless using the UE11Pro with my Woo WA6 amp).  The ES3X are not quite as warm and full sounding as the W4, although they are exceedingly detailed and transparent and call attention to that fact.  The W4 don't seem to call attention to anything, and just do a superb job without a lot of fanfare.  On a technical basis, the ES3X are probably a little ahead, but the W4 are a little more musical and liquid sounding and less dry (like some would say with the proverbial SS amp vs tube amp comparison).  I'd say the W4 are closer to my ES5 than my other IEM, but with a little smoother treble and slightly more forgiving sound signature for poorly recorded music.

For those that think the W3 needs better bass control/balance, or that they need a fuller midrange, or who feel they are sibilant at times, the W4 should be just the ticket to satisfy their needs.  For those who feel the W3 are perfect, the W4 improve upon them with the little tweaks here and there, but should not alienate a W3 lover.  For those who love the UM3X, the W4 mids are still full and rich although not as forward, and the sound is less dry and more organic and powerful sounding.

That's all for now.

Yeah... the wait is going to be torture...

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #282 of 5,568
Not sure if this has been posted before:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/westone-westone-4-true-fit-earphone/

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #284 of 5,568
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #285 of 5,568
I just returned from CES!  I spent some time with the 4s on 2 separate days switching back and forth with my 3s at the booth.  HeadphoneAddict's comments are pretty dead on with my observations.  The overall volume is definitely a tad softer than that of the 3s.  The treble is noticeably improved on the 4s as that is my only gripe with the 3s.  I had the volume at the max on my iPad with no DAC and blasting Dream Theater's "Overture 1928" (if any of you are familiar) and the drums have never sounded better.  Cymbals were clear and well defined without the sibilance I hear with my 3s (granted they're still awesome).  Bass is slightly less impactful on the 4s but much more balanced and detailed.  They had the silicone tips on all of the 4s at the booth but they were kind enough to lend me a pair of Comply's to test with (I prefer the Shure Olives but I wasn't going to ask for those).  I spoke with one of their head reps to try and convince him to sell me a pair at the show but he insisted they were pre-production prototypes and didn't have a clear shipping date other than "it should be sometime in February."  I've pre-ordered mine through earphone solutions and am confident the 4s will replace my 3s.  If anyone's interested in purchasing a pair of 3s at a discount let me know :).  I'm also selling my Monster Turbine Pro Gold's if anyone is interested.  Both come with original box, packaging, tips, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back