Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Jan 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #256 of 5,568

Quote:
I'm also with music_4321 on this (a really good post).  This is the kind of discussion that makes these forums valuable.  I would like to add one additional observation:  Very expensive custom earphones invariably come with replaceable cables.  One would think that if replaceable cable relaibility was an issue, these vendors wouldn't be using them on $1000 plus earphones.

there are different types of removable cabling (TF10 style vs se535) from what I have observed, some have more benefits than the other

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #257 of 5,568
Shure has changed their warranty. Shure offers 2 yrs warranty but only 1 yr on the replacement. So, my replacement SE530s fell apart at the cable at 1.5 yrs, and Shure wants $150 to send another SE530, not the new SE535. That's B.S.

Hopefully, replaceable cables ala Westone and JH last at least a couple of years. I'd rather spend ~$50 every few years on customs than $150 every two yrs on universals.

:) 

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #258 of 5,568

Quote:
Even customs like the JH16 or UE18 only have a 3 way crossover.

Expecting the universal Westone 4 to have a 4 way crossover is a bit unrealistic.

As far as I know, there are no 4 way earphones. A 3 way crossover network means that the crossover network is splitting up the frequencies into bass, midrange, and treble. A 4 way network would be interesting. The best way to split up the frequencies in my opinion would be sub-bass, bass, midrange, and treble.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #260 of 5,568
interestingly,i would be all for replaceable cables if it didnt mean i had to deal with those damn memory wires which i find make it more difficult to kep the IEM in my ear without it being pulled as i move...also they are much noisier .....i love the westone cords that wrap so easily and comfortably around your ear without you hardly noticing them!.....

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #261 of 5,568
Quote:
As far as I know, there are no 4 way earphones. A 3 way crossover network means that the crossover network is splitting up the frequencies into bass, midrange, and treble. A 4 way network would be interesting. The best way to split up the frequencies in my opinion would be sub-bass, bass, midrange, and treble.

There is CX8, a Chinese custom IEM that has 2 sub-bass, 2 bass, 2 mids and 2 highs drivers + a 4-way crossover.
I've read it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494680/custom-iems-chinese-market-there-is-an-explosion-in-the-chinese-market-for-custom-iems

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #262 of 5,568
From what HeadphoneAddict and Ilounge have described, Westone 4 will certainly scratch a lot of itches! Sounds like a very, very smart improvement over the W3. I love a company that understands its products and consumers well enough to put this kind of thought into their products. It may be the holy grail many of us have waited for!

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #263 of 5,568
Guys I've just arrive in Las Vegas tonight.  Tomorrow I'll go to Westone booth to test out the new Westone 4.  I'll try be back to give you the feed back.  I'm also bringing my SE530 to try to compare the sound.  I'm sure they won't allow me to do the live comparison where I can hear both of them at there booth but I'll try my best.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #264 of 5,568

Quote:
NEWS NEWS NEWS

Westone new website https://www.westonemusicproducts.com/music-products/pro-audio/custom-fit-pro-audio-0

Westone 4 MSRP $639!!!! O_O  ......Pre-order in Feb and get it for intro price of $449!!!

Wow so expensive retail price, is it gonna be crazy good?  the website looks pretty good

Wow I was thinking that it being only $50 more than the W3 was a little weird.
I know i will regret not getting the W4 at the current price but i cant afford to dump my wallet into one yet.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #265 of 5,568
^^ Yikes!! ^^ I grimaced at the $449 price, but figured i'll keep it on my radar pending reviews. Now i've been totally priced out...sucks

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #266 of 5,568

Quote:
Shure has changed their warranty. Shure offers 2 yrs warranty but only 1 yr on the replacement. So, my replacement SE530s fell apart at the cable at 1.5 yrs, and Shure wants $150 to send another SE530, not the new SE535. That's B.S.

Hopefully, replaceable cables ala Westone and JH last at least a couple of years. I'd rather spend ~$50 every few years on customs than $150 every two yrs on universals.

:) 

Interesting..when my Shure SE530 cable tore by getting caught in my jacket's zipper, Shure replaced them with new ones. It was 3 months before the expiration of warranty. Well it was 2 years back. not sure what changed now.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #267 of 5,568

Quote:
As far as I know, there are no 4 way earphones. A 3 way crossover network means that the crossover network is splitting up the frequencies into bass, midrange, and treble. A 4 way network would be interesting. The best way to split up the frequencies in my opinion would be sub-bass, bass, midrange, and treble.

The FitEar 435 has a 4-way crossover, with 5 drivers. I didn't ask how the crossover was divided, but it sounded kinda funky.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #268 of 5,568
I don't think we should panic about the cost of the Westone 4 rising. On Westone's site, the List Price of the W3 is $569 but they sell it for $349. That's about 60% of list price. I doubt this $449 is any kind of special introductory price. I bet the $639 is a list price.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #269 of 5,568
They probably only launched it to steal some cash off potential X-Jay purchasers.  Nothing like the shock of the new for generating sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back