Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Dec 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #166 of 5,568

Quote:

Quote:
helli
Thing is, we were all fine and dandy without removable cables, people are confusing a want with a need. I have been using my UM3X almost daily for close to two years now, no damage whatsoever.

I can't speak for others but in my case it;s not a case of 'want'. What I don't 'want' to be doing is having to solder faulty cables because they have broken down. I don't mind so much if it is at the plug end but if faults occur at the earpiece end then it becomes much more of a problem making a diy strain relief look and function as good as the original. I've had too many cables break down at numerous points along the cable with no blatantly obvuous signs of abuse. Not only that, accidents do occur.

It is for that reason alone (unfortunately) why I won't be buying the W4;s. I would hate to spend that kind of money to be worrying about imminent cable failure and subsequent repair/disposal. Reshelling is always a possibility but at additional expense as pointed out and poorer resale value in the event of an upgrade. I was very interested in buying these as I considered the UM3X to be my almost perfect iem and was hoping that the W4 would introduce enough changes to make it my perfect iem soundwise. As it is now though, looks like I'll be following though with my oroginal plan and waiting for the SA7 to arrive.

When flirting with this price range I just don't understand why not just add the detachable cables? The little extra it may cost surely wouldn't deter its prospective buyers.

I couldn't agree more. Actually in the end i might not wait for the W4 to show up since the Shure SE535s look more durable and in the event of a cable failure you just have to order a new one. Imho detachable cables should be a must on this kind of price tags.

Dec 24, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #167 of 5,568
I don't know how I missed this thread.  It's fun to read all the speculation, but until it's out and you hear it you can't make reliable guesses about what it will sound like based on previous products.  Trust me on this.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #169 of 5,568
Interesting to see people not wanting to buy a W4 because of cable failure.. non detachable cables etc.. I have punished my W3s now for over 2 years, 4 hours a day and not a single hairline crack.. My Shure 500s went through TWO cable sets, My Klipsch 1, my Etys 1... but the Westones.. nothing, they are just as good today as they were 2 years ago.

IMO the W3s have the best price/performance on the market from a smaller US owned company that pays attention to quality, the sound signature on the W3s is still one of the best I have heard (again for my taste), I have tried it amped, unamped out of Iphone 3 and 4 and even out of a new Nano6g (pretty weak btw) and still its king as the top IEM for the money in my book.

I for one, am really looking forward to the W4, I'm curious how they tuned the cross over to now handle an additional low freq driver and if they did anything in the mid to high registers, it may be the perfect compliment to the W3 that I already respect.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #170 of 5,568
I prefer attached cables.  They seem better ergonomically where they come out of the housing and drape back behind your ear and I have never had a cable problem before either.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #171 of 5,568
It's true, personally I really dislike the detachable cable with the moldable ear rests that came with my UM3Xs as they are quite uncomfortable. You are probably quite lucky that you've never had cable problems before, but believe me, if it happens when the warranty ran out, I'm sure you'd wish they are detachable and that you can just replace it with a new cable. That's what happened to my UM2s. 
blink.gif

Quote:
I prefer attached cables.  They seem better ergonomically where they come out of the housing and drape back behind your ear and I have never had a cable problem before either.

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #172 of 5,568

Quote:
I don't know how I missed this thread.  It's fun to read all the speculation, but until it's out and you hear it you can't make reliable guesses about what it will sound like based on previous products.  Trust me on this.

X2. 

Sometimes manufacturers go in completely different directions then previously, like Sennheiser with their HD650 then HD800. Only a few manufacturers really have a consistent house sound from what I have seen.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #173 of 5,568
i am guessing it will be similar to the Senn HD 600 and then the HD650. I own both and love both, just different enough to be intoxicating. The HD600 is ruler flat IMO and the HD650 has the bottom fun factor, I am hoping that the W3 and W4 are simliar. Some folks already think the W3 is too bottom heavy.. but not for my taste just a touch more and some tweeking in the very top and I would jump on a pair of W4's cant wait to test them out.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #174 of 5,568
I live in Colorado Springs, home of Westone, and I get to hang out with the guys from there on occasion.  If I recall, the goal of the W4 was actually to replicate the sound the of the ES5 universal demos in a mass production universal IEM.  Everyone loved the ES5 demos, but their internals were just too big to fit inside something like a W3 or UM3X shell.  So, I believe that they went back to the drawing board with this one.  I think it's quite possible that it wont sound like the W3 or the UM3X, which sound different from each other.  I don't feel like Westone has a "house sound" and they offer a lot of variety with the products I own (W1, W2, W3, UM3X, ES3X, ES5).  They seem to have something to suit almost everyone, but they're certainly not likely to rest on their laurels.  I feel like UE and Shure have done just that, but I think that Westone sincerely wants to be the best.  They have a very dedicated and motivated crew working there, who love this kind of challenge.

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #175 of 5,568
Well said HeadphoneAddict !  maybe they will be more like an HD600 and an HD800 then.. even more interesting. Either way, I have enjoyed the W3 so much and respect Westone for taking the time to produce quality that I will most likely be in line early for the W4.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #176 of 5,568
Yea, agree Westone doesn't really have a house sound.  With W2 being somewhat neutral, balanced and middle of the road....and W3 being a little distant with big extension, I am going to take a wild guess the W4 will sound more aggressive, upfront, big and heavy, along the lines of a UE11/JH5 type of sound. 

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #177 of 5,568

Quote:
Well said HeadphoneAddict !  maybe they will be more like an HD600 and an HD800 then.. even more interesting. Either way, I have enjoyed the W3 so much and respect Westone for taking the time to produce quality that I will most likely be in line early for the W4.

Quote:
Yea, agree Westone doesn't really have a house sound.  With W2 being somewhat neutral, balanced and middle of the road....and W3 being a little distant with big extension, I am going to take a wild guess the W4 will sound more aggressive, upfront, big and heavy, along the lines of a UE11/JH5 type of sound. 

What if it doesn't sound like any of those?  For example, my ES5 don't.  I do think the W3 remind me a little of a universal fit UE11Pro or a D7000, and the ES3X sound more like an HD800; but the ES5 don't sound like any of those and sound flatter and in-between those to me (good warmth, full and strong but level bass, just right vivid but not forward or recessed mids, sweet and extended highs).  Like I said, you'll just have to wait and see.

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #178 of 5,568
[size=x-small]Replaceable cables are a very much appreciated for any IEM. The reason being, you can upgrade to a better quality cable. Also if cable dies, you don't have to throw it out. Just get a cable and you are done.[/size]

[size=x-small]
I guess you could always get them reshelled.
[/size]

[size=x-small]You people living in US/UK have this option. But people out side do not have it. The chances of driver getting dammeged is Almost zero, but it is not the case with Cable.[/size]

[size=x-small]You guys can get your IEM's reshelled at $80. Here in INDIA we need to pay $200. So just for cable I don't wanna spend $200[/size]

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #179 of 5,568

Quote:

I agree 100%. And we will be looking for your detailed review once again :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back