Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,051 of 5,568

Quote:

I've had the same experience with the TF10, and it just kills me that there isn't anything I can do to get past the fit issue.  It really doesn't matter how good the IEM is if you can't get it to fit properly and easily.  Even if it did fit perfectly, it's still not my preferred sound signature, but from a value standpoint it's such a tease.  The funny thing is that I knew I would have this response even before I bought them, but couldn't pass it up.   I'm still playing with the idea of getting them remolded, but it would have to be through Kozee, as any more than $250 inclusive and I'm more inclined to go with a custom that's more in line with my preferred sound. 

here's my thinking on remolding the TF10, for $90, you get a much improved cable that is almost indistinct from westone, those tend to go for $40 so if you factor that in, the price of a remold is really only $50 plus the price of the impressions.

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #1,053 of 5,568

Quote:
Cables are extra on top of the $90 remold.

i beg to differ  
biggrin.gif
 this was a reply from adam of kozeesoundsolutions

Hey James,

Our reshell service is $89.95 for both universal or customs.  It can
definitely come with detachable cables if you want at no extra charge.  We
do offer both silicone and acrylic for this (detachable cables are only
available with acrylic though).  The sound signature would remain as close
to the original as possible.  We test the frequency response both before
and after the reshell to guarantee the closest match possible.  Thank you
James, I hope I was able to answer your questions for you.  If you have
any others, please feel free to email me.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #1,055 of 5,568
I ¨changed sides on my Tf10`s, put the right earphone on the left wire and the left earphone on the right wire then i put on the long singleflanges from the Meelectronics M11+ fitkit and replaced the wire with the Westone from Jaben, the fit is fine now and i dont feel like remolding it anymore.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,056 of 5,568

Quote:
I ¨changed sides on my Tf10`s, put the right earphone on the left wire and the left earphone on the right wire then i put on the long singleflanges from the Meelectronics M11+ fitkit and replaced the wire with the Westone from Jaben, the fit is fine now and i dont feel like remolding it anymore.

I would imagine getting a pair of phones remolded in norway would be a bit difficult

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #1,058 of 5,568

Quote:
Yes, there is one company but i think they only make custom tips, tried to contact them about remolding once but i dident get mail in return so i guess they dont do it. Here is their site btw:
http://www.namsosaudiosenter.no/

Phone call might have got a quicker response. Mind you in my book any company that doesn't reply to customer emails doesn't deserve the business.

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #1,059 of 5,568
I had a brief listening session with the W4 today, so don't take this too seriously, but I will give try and give a little comparison between these and the ES5:

A little background info first: I listened to the W4 with the small Shure grey tips (I used the medium with my W3 just for reference), and listened to them through the HM-601. I had to turn up the volume to get the same amount of sound I get from the ES5

Compared to the ES5, the first thing I noticed was that the clarity and transparency wasn't quite as there, vocal sounds a little bit more veiled. Second of all, the mids were a little more forward, in other words, I got a little less details out of the highs, and  less quantity and punch of bass compared to the ES5. But overall, the sound signature was definitely similar, and the soundstage wasn't that different either.

Obviously with universals, the tips and fit affects the sound a whole lot, so I will try to get a longer audition session when I have more time, but so far, I would say, considering it is quite a bit cheaper than other high-end customs, if you haven't heard the customs and is satisfied with the bass of the W4, you probably aren't missing out too much with these.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #1,061 of 5,568
Yes i was thinking about calling them but the no response on the mail put me off a little, May however try to call them if the need for customs becomes to strong
biggrin.gif

Btw have been reading this tread for a while now and was just wondering, is the feeling you guise get of the W4 vs UM3X the same as when you change from Comply to Shure olives on the UM3X? 

Quote:
Phone call might have got a quicker response. Mind you in my book any company that doesn't reply to customer emails doesn't deserve the business.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #1,062 of 5,568

Quote:
As for the W4s having slightly more forward mids than the ES5s, I'd be a little concerned as the W4s have slightly less forward mids than both my UM3X & ES3X, so the ES5s having even less forward mids than the W4s makes me wonder how much I'd enjoy them. The mid-range is the one frequency I value the most.

Curious about the bass, too, though I suspect the ES5's bass is pretty good. I find the W4's bass extremely well defined with just about the right amount of 'weight' to it, quite refined and NEVER lacking, but not a basshead's bass nor the anemic SE535's bass or the somewhat uncontrolled & muddy SM3 bass.

Of course, this is all mere speculation as you quite rightly state "the tips and fit affects the sound a whole lot", plus the usual sound preferences, ie you may well prefer a slightly brighter & bassier phone than I do.

I don't think I explained the mids and bass as well as I should have, what I meant by that was because there is slightly less quantity of bass on the W4 than that of the ES5, it makes their mids sound more forward than the ES5, but in reality it's there with the ES5, but in comparison I would say it doesn't stand out as much on the ES5 as it does on the W4 because of the overall balance in tone. More about the bass too, the W4 definitely extends quite deep as well, the quantity perhaps slightly less, but not by much. I didn't find the bass to be all that different when listening to bass guitars, but the ES5 attacked the percussions like kick drums slightly better than the W4.

EDIT: Also to clarify, I think the biggest difference in my case between the W4 and ES5 was the overall clarity, transparency and refinement the ES5 had over the W4, which I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have my ES5. Since the overall quality of sound one perceives is all relative, hence I said if you aren't looking for the extra thump in the bass, you aren't going to miss much with the W4 since you won't notice it anyway.

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #1,063 of 5,568

Quote:

I thought very legal sent his inquiry by snail mail 
redface.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #1,064 of 5,568

Quote:
i beg to differ  
biggrin.gif
 this was a reply from adam of kozeesoundsolutions

Hey James,

Our reshell service is $89.95 for both universal or customs.  It can
definitely come with detachable cables if you want at no extra charge.  We
do offer both silicone and acrylic for this (detachable cables are only
available with acrylic though).  The sound signature would remain as close
to the original as possible.  We test the frequency response both before
and after the reshell to guarantee the closest match possible.  Thank you
James, I hope I was able to answer your questions for you.  If you have
any others, please feel free to email me.

Reading into that reply I think he is offering the reshell in either silicon or acrylic. The acrylic comes with socket for detatchable cable, could be wrong though.

Anyhoo, some time ago I got unique melody to reshell my W3's which were my absolute favourite universals ever. I got them to add another 3 drivers per ear so I now call them my W6 :) they are all that!! I got my W4 about 4 days back and wanted to get to know them before posting. Like others here I can confirm that to my ears the W4 is just superb on all levels, it doesn't quite beat my W6 but then again the W6 has been the only IEM I've used for about a year so I am used to and love it's flavour. The W4 is what I'm reaching for most regular at present though. The difference is deffinately not night and day which make the W4 real value for money in my eyes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back