Westone 4 Impressions and Reviews Thread
Feb 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #841 of 5,568
saving myself some $$ for W4s 
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #843 of 5,568
Hi guys, was wondering if anyone felt a little underwhelmed by the W4? I just demo'd them at my local store, and I want to state upfront that they had zero burn-in when I tried them. (I myself am sceptical of burn-in for balanced armatures, but I'm sure some of you will want that info)

Just like many of you, I found nothing wrong in what the Westone 4 did. No exaggerated frequencies, no recessed frequencies. But as someone who uses a HD 25-1 and DT 880 at home, I like to think I'm no stranger to bright/neutral presentations either...so, what gives?

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #844 of 5,568
Quote:
I would say the W4 requires at least 10% more volume to match the W3, regardless of source. 

Same deal with the TF10s I'm finding out.  Connected to my Fiio E7 which has a volume scale that goes to '60', the TF10s play at about '21' and the W4s at '24' on a particular track.  That said, I'm pretty far from being maxed out if I'm playing straight out of my iPod/Pad.

Quote:
Went for the W4's instead of the JH5's as someone told me that I'm better off with universals 'til i get older (I'm just 15). Gonna post my impressions as soon as i get them. EXCITED!

Man- assuming you stay on this path, I'm almost afraid to think what you'll be listening to in another 10 years or so! 
wink_face.gif

(Edited... playing around with the tips has changed my thoughts on this IEM.  The volume thing remains the same though- that is to say not much harder to drive than the TF10s, which are easy.)

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #845 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:

The W3's have always been my release IEM.  I used them when working out (when I worked out) or when I wanted to let off a little steam.  They brought out the best/beast in my music and took me away from life's stress.  When I wanted to learn a new piece of music in the past, I would reach for my HD600's.  They were more revealing than the W2 or any other IEM I owned, so they were much better for dissecting a bass line.  The W3, although detailed in the lower region, would have me tapping my toes, playing air drums or make me lose track of what I was doing.

The W4 takes the neutrality of the W2 adds more life and spice across the board and adapts to whatever mood I'm in. I can lower the volume and be less distracted when reading and turn them up when I want to unwind.  Again, I could nit-pick the W4 and tell you what I'd like more of to suit my tastes, but I'd rather point out what they do well on their own.  Like the W2's, they don't do anything necessarily wrong..  but they do more right..  Make sense??

What you've said about the W3 has me torn between ordering it or the W4. I really enjoy the sound of the TF10 but have thought they could use more body to the bass. And whatever I get I don't want to lose that sparkle in the highs.

The TF10 have better extension in the high range than the W4, but the W4 have better details in the high range. The difference is very slight and you can adjust the sound of the W4 with different tips, different angles and depth of insertion.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #846 of 5,568

Quote:
Quote:
shotgunshane said:

What you've said about the W3 has me torn between ordering it or the W4. I really enjoy the sound of the TF10 but have thought they could use more body to the bass. And whatever I get I don't want to lose that sparkle in the highs.

The TF10 have better extension in the high range than the W4, but the W4 have better details in the high range. The difference is very slight and you can adjust the sound of the W4 with different tips, different angles and depth of insertion.

One thing these IEMs have shown me more than ever is that the tips you choose is everything!  No wonder opinions vary so widely between listeners for the same IEMs. 

For my ears, the gray silicon tips give the best balanced sound.  The white silicon is too thick and stiff and I can't get a good seal which means that the overall balance leans towards bright.  Comply foams always seem to roll off the highs too much for me.  I think if you could get the white silicon tips to fit you with a good seal you might get the TF10 highs you like.  The bore or hole for the white tips is much larger than it is on the grays; this usually lets more highs through for a brighter presentation.

The W4s have more fuller bass (lower and upper) than the TF10s.  The highs are not nearly as sparkly as the TF10s, which I sort of miss.  That said, I think the W4s sound more close to neutral in the highs and is something you will easily get used to if these are to be your primary IEMs.  For me, I will go back and forth because I like variety.  That said, if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, the TF10 suits my taste a bit more.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are looking for a TF10 with better midrange, this probably isn't it- it's altogether a different sound.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #848 of 5,568
Hello,

Has someone tried the Westone 4 with the Sensorcom tips?

Thanx.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #849 of 5,568

Quote:
For me, the Shure Olives give a very balanced sound too, and I think they are the most comfortable IEM tips. 
wink.gif

I agree.. They don't absorb as much of the sound as the Comply's and they are the most comfortable tip for me.  I highly recommend W3 and/or W4 owners give them a try.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #851 of 5,568
Quote:
And not to mention that they last a hundred times longer than the comply tips. 
wink.gif

You can get a couple of months out of one pair of the Complys if you clean your ears daily.  I think they're more comfy and I like the wax guard too.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #852 of 5,568
I find the W4 the best Westone earphone, having owned the Westone 2, Westone 3, and UM3X. I find that it is better than the SE535, which I owned recently. Great for all genres...

But one of the things that I'm struggling with most: Are they worth $270 more than what I payed for a pair of used ER4P?

As far as comfort, as a hater of deep insertion, the W4 are preferrable. And they do all kinds of things really well! Much better soundstage and more gentle treble. But I'm afraid that there is still that Westone "warmness" that I'm not digging. I know some disagree that Westone has a house sound, but that's almost what I feel here. It's not a veil like the famed Sennheiser veil, but there is a certain "warmth", almost a muggyness.. I wouldn't describe it as a haze but these are not crystal clear earphones. There is atmosphere.

Anyone else have that experience?

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #853 of 5,568

Quote:

One thing these IEMs have shown me more than ever is that the tips you choose is everything!  No wonder opinions vary so widely between listeners for the same IEMs. 

For my ears, the gray silicon tips give the best balanced sound.  The white silicon is too thick and stiff and I can't get a good seal which means that the overall balance leans towards bright.  Comply foams always seem to roll off the highs too much for me.  I think if you could get the white silicon tips to fit you with a good seal you might get the TF10 highs you like.  The bore or hole for the white tips is much larger than it is on the grays; this usually lets more highs through for a brighter presentation.

The W4s have more fuller bass (lower and upper) than the TF10s.  The highs are not nearly as sparkly as the TF10s, which I sort of miss.  That said, I think the W4s sound more close to neutral in the highs and is something you will easily get used to if these are to be your primary IEMs.  For me, I will go back and forth because I like variety.  That said, if you put a gun to my head and made me choose, the TF10 suits my taste a bit more.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are looking for a TF10 with better midrange, this probably isn't it- it's altogether a different sound.

Hey Mkubota1, I agreed with you regarding the TF10, after the initial excitement have settled I am a little underwhelmed by the performance of the W4. I manage to get better midrange,overall details and soundstage with a Lune Cable from Null Audio for my TF10. Having said that the W4 is still an excellent iem, it just didn't blow my recabled TF10 out of the water in terms of performance. It is a different flavour, a side grade rather than an upgrade. Like you said if a gun was pointed at my head and I have to choose one it would be my recabled TF10. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #854 of 5,568

Quote:
I find the W4 the best Westone earphone, having owned the Westone 2, Westone 3, and UM3X. I find that it is better than the SE535, which I owned recently. Great for all genres...

But one of the things that I'm struggling with most: Are they worth $270 more than what I payed for a pair of used ER4P?

As far as comfort, as a hater of deep insertion, the W4 are preferrable. And they do all kinds of things really well! Much better soundstage and more gentle treble. But I'm afraid that there is still that Westone "warmness" that I'm not digging. I know some disagree that Westone has a house sound, but that's almost what I feel here. It's not a veil like the famed Sennheiser veil, but there is a certain "warmth", almost a muggyness.. I wouldn't describe it as a haze but these are not crystal clear earphones. There is atmosphere.

I know it might be an overly difficult thing to quantify but how much "better" do you consider them than the UM3X's? I got a loaner pair of W3's and UM3X's and VASTLY preferred the UM3X's which came really really close to unseating my CK10's as my favorites. Interested in your take on the differences between those two as well although I know others have posted it I'm still curious 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #855 of 5,568

Quote:

This warm goo is exactly my experience with W2 and W3. I was really hopping that W4 would dispense with it (still didn't get mine). So you are saying it's still there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back