Westone 4 an Upgrade from Turbine Coppers?
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #16 of 24
I dont disagree about the seal thing, but frankly its annoying to go thru 30-40 buds trying to get a seal.  I am custom fit only from here on out.  I would love to try the coppers with a custom tip on them.   (the hole is to big to smush the um56 on it)

I highly highly highly recommend not screwing with universal buds anymore and get a pair of custom tips made or just going with customs.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #17 of 24
I had the same problem with tips/seal on my coppers.  Out of desperation I got 1964 Ears custom tips for them and couldn't possibly be more happy.  I highly recommend them.  I hope to do a proper write up about them soon...

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
I dont disagree about the seal thing, but frankly its annoying to go thru 30-40 buds trying to get a seal.  I am custom fit only from here on out.  I would love to try the coppers with a custom tip on them.   (the hole is to big to smush the um56 on it)

I highly highly highly recommend not screwing with universal buds anymore and get a pair of custom tips made or just going with customs.

Totally agree.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
i have both (w4 and top of the line monster coppers)

When I can rarely get a good seal with the coppers, they have huge bass and lacking everything in the middle and upper reaches

The W4 I always get a perfect seal due to um56 custom buds...and they just stomp my coppers.  If I really need a little more bass  i can EQ up +2db or...its already good but not as face shaking as the monster.

I do think i would enjoy the monster's more with a custom mold that i do with the supplied bag of useless generic tips.

Honestly i would get a custom molded JH-5 at the current prices and be happy - at the time i bought W4 and had um56 from um3x it made sense, but now I would just pony up for customs and be done.

Im hoping I can return the coppers still  - if not ill just sell them here and never touch them again.  I do think I would like a custom fit dynamic IEM...im surfing those threads myself.

I agree with my buddy Kunlun , with the right seal the coppers are a well balanced earphone with plenty of midrange and treble presence and detail however they do sound somewhat artificial in the midrange .
I agree with you @twylight however that the coppers are not in the same league as the w4 which is technically superior in almost every way and much more realistic and natural sounding.
beyersmile.png

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
I had the same problem with tips/seal on my coppers.  Out of desperation I got 1964 Ears custom tips for them and couldn't possibly be more happy.  I highly recommend them.  I hope to do a proper write up about them soon...

What are the advantages of using the 1964 Custom Tips over Monster's foam and gel filled Super-Tips? I can only get two tips to work for me and they work great but if Custom tips work that much better I might give them a try in the future. I'd really love to hear your impressions. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 24
I'll do a proper write up with pics soon, but the quick story is this...

I've been using Etymotic foam tips and Shure olives on my ER4 for ears. I love the deep insertion and all the sonic and comfort benefits that come with that setup.

I was shocked when I the coppers how I couldn't find a tip I was happy with....I even tried comply tips. I hated the more shallow insertion and how **** finicky the seal would be. I just wanted to go back to my Er4.

For me the custom tips provided a perfect fit and seal while being ultra comfortable. The highs are lessened a tiny bit with them (not as much as comply foam tips). But, I added a tiny bit of eq to negate that.

I love them so much I got custom tips for my Er4 then proceeded to order a pair of 1964-quads. :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 24
I get a great seal with my coppers every time. I recommend the Sony hybrid tips, they are a favorite of this form. Unfortunately you must buy all four sizes(in a pack) and it retails for $9.99. If your desperate, I would try those.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 24
I have a set of complys and sony tips.  They all suck.  Custom tips or customs.

They all suck horribly actually.  I am having flash backs of my first shure and westone universals and the BAGS of tips I messed around with before getting um56.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
I have a set of complys and sony tips.  They all suck.  Custom tips or customs.

They all suck horribly actually.  I am having flash backs of my first shure and westone universals and the BAGS of tips I messed around with before getting um56.

Heh, I have never tried customs myself(if I did I probably would have started this thread, lol), but I bet I would think the same thing if I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back