Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Oct 10, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #2,326 of 2,524
daveDerek, RE your post about converting universals to customs, speaking generically it can be done. I had my UM2s stolen around the time that Westone 3 was T-20 days or so, so I figured they'd be a great replacement/upgrade. Like all of us on this thread I waited, waited some more, and then some more, and like a few of us, got fed up and bought something else (in my case Shure 530s). Used those for a while, got fed up with replacing the foamies, went to my local audiologist for some impressions to send off for some UM56 (which I had with the westones), and got chatting to the manager... oops. Turns out they make earpieces for motorsport, TV and stage performers, so offered to make some tips for the shures. They had a think about how to make them fit best to the casing, and then offered to take the shures to pieces, and remake into custom iems. I think there is another post somewhere on the site from someone who did something similar in Japan; I'm based in the UK, and I will eventually get around to writing up the experience, but what an effect it has had on comfort, sound clarity, say nothing of not having to replace foamies.
I'm still waiting for the 3s, universal or custom, and will get them when they appear, but for now my pimped shures are keeping me happy.
R

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #2,327 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardmp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
daveDerek, RE your post about converting universals to customs, speaking generically it can be done. I had my UM2s stolen around the time that Westone 3 was T-20 days or so, so I figured they'd be a great replacement/upgrade. Like all of us on this thread I waited, waited some more, and then some more, and like a few of us, got fed up and bought something else (in my case Shure 530s). Used those for a while, got fed up with replacing the foamies, went to my local audiologist for some impressions to send off for some UM56 (which I had with the westones), and got chatting to the manager... oops. Turns out they make earpieces for motorsport, TV and stage performers, so offered to make some tips for the shures. They had a think about how to make them fit best to the casing, and then offered to take the shures to pieces, and remake into custom iems. I think there is another post somewhere on the site from someone who did something similar in Japan; I'm based in the UK, and I will eventually get around to writing up the experience, but what an effect it has had on comfort, sound clarity, say nothing of not having to replace foamies.
I'm still waiting for the 3s, universal or custom, and will get them when they appear, but for now my pimped shures are keeping me happy.
R

rlanger had his SE530 converted to customs in Japan, and I had a company that wishes to remain anonymous install my SE530 inside a spare pair of Livewires customs. I really like them a lot, and the SE530 customs are now more balanced with better highs and less roll off. They actually sound similar to the Westone 3 that I sampled, except the Westone 3 have more a commanding and impressive bass.

I am using Westone UM56 with Klipsch Image X10, and plan to switch to the Westone 3 when they are released to use with my UM56 - I'm somewhat considering a Custom 3 version instead.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #2,328 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by 32ndnote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm aching for new earphones... These fontopias are KILLING me right now, but I'm convinced I should wait it out.

You know, I have a pair of EX51s that came with my W580i - using the 5 band EQ on W580i I got them to sound such that they are enjoyable on the go (mind you, my home rig is electrostatic). If Westone 3 rolls out in the next several month, definitely will last you just fine.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #2,331 of 2,524
I think you should look through this thread to find out how many times someone on eBay has put the Westone 3's up for sale. In every case they were pre-sales.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #2,333 of 2,524
Between 2020 and 2025.
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #2,334 of 2,524
Has anyone thought of pre-ordering a pair of westone 3's off of ebay with buy-it-now using the live.com 30% cashback method? Sounds like a nice way of getting a great price on these.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #2,337 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by pooMonger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone thought of pre-ordering a pair of westone 3's off of ebay with buy-it-now using the live.com 30% cashback method? Sounds like a nice way of getting a great price on these.

Yeah, I thought about it a few times, but I got kind of worried that whoever was doing the preorder on eBay might not be able to fulfill the order immediately after release.

Ideally I'd want to get them as soon as possible.
wink.gif
Though 25-30% is pretty good savings indeed...

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #2,339 of 2,524
I did the 25% too on the UM2s through freq sound with his good price too..guess I'll be in for another upgrade later on but I'll wait till the dust settles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back