Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
May 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #2,191 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the most optomistic estimates from Earphone solutions puts it not at 2008, but more like 2009. Didn't you read that post? I think that's why people are having a bit of a laugh here.

But that's being negative and whiny!
tongue.gif

May 16, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #2,192 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the most optomistic estimates from Earphone solutions puts it not at 2008, but more like 2009. Didn't you read that post? I think that's why people are having a bit of a laugh here.

Clearly, late 2008 + a little extra - I.E. 2009, as I stated in My post, is a bit hard to grasp. Yeah I read the post. I also tend to take people at their word. I'm pretty sure Westone will be setting the release date, not Earphone Solutions

I was merely pointing out 2009-2007 = 2. Not three..
confused.gif

And hey, everyone wanted an update, they got one, and now they're poo-pooing it and spreading misinformation. Makes me wonder what's their real agenda here?

May 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #2,193 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And hey, everyone wanted an update, they got one, and now they're poo-pooing it and spreading misinformation. Makes me wonder what's their real agenda here?

I don't think anyone has a real agenda here. We all want the product to come out. Thing is, at this ppint so many dates have been left unfulfilled that it has turned laughable and hence why you see somethnig to the affect of "published date + a little extra = actual date".

May 17, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #2,194 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the disappointment in realizing that the "three" in Westone 3 referred not to the number of transducers, but to the years needed to bring this vaporware to market...

in****ingcredible!

Quote:

Well that is if you can't count I guess.. January 2007 - January 2009 (or so) is 2 years.
rolleyes.gif

or if you can't read between the lines...
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #2,195 of 2,524
Quote:

Poo-poo? Poo-poo? lol, the only pop-poo here has been the BS coming from westone!

but then again-
It might be a vast right ear conspiracy! rofl

May 17, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2,196 of 2,524
Craiglister, don't take this the wrong way, but you're really adding to the comedic value of this thread. It's one of the reasons I stick around. Your blue-eyed optimism is just comedy gold.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2,197 of 2,524
Well, someone's got to be optimistic in these dark times. A nations spirits can't be allowed to sink, can they.. One glorious day, in the near future (one hopes), all will be well with the world, and we'll have Westone 3 parties and all group hug or something. Of course, I'm optimistic, but I'm not expecting anything for a good 6 months - minimum - I am realistic too
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #2,198 of 2,524
would you like westone to send you some flowers ?

personaly, i think westone should take the DNF aprouch to things, they will be out when they are DONE,

yea, its a problem, yes, it seems that they have a problem passing from the lab produced version to the actuall mass produced version, but westone has expiriance here, they produced ear pieces for years, then produced the first series for UE, and the Shure E1 and E5 were westone's work, were not talking about a company thats known for its vaporware, we joke about it, and make stupid comments, but at the end, we have faith in westone, dont we ?

May 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #2,199 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Headfier's I was asked to post this today. A similar letter was sent to all our dealers last Thursday/Friday.

PUBLIC Westone 3 Delay letter from Lynn

Dear Westone Customers:

I would like to apologize for the delay in releasing the Westone 3. We value you as our customer and understand your concerns about the introduction schedule for this product.

Although we have been testing and refining prototypes of the 3 for the past year, the pre-production units have not met our performance expectations. Rather than release a product that might be “good enough,” we recently decided to redesign certain aspects of the product.

While we remain committed to the project, we are not prepared to release a product that does not meet Westone’s standards of excellence and performance. We take full responsibility for the delay and we will provide more information later this year.

Given the lead times necessary for the redesign and production tooling, we do not expect to release the product until late 2008 at the earliest.

Sincerely,
Lynn Kehler
President/CEO
Westone Laboratories, Inc.

I will answer what questions I can on the subject.-
- p0wderh0und

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not relate in any which way to Westone or have been paid or have any interest in being rewarded with any thing what so ever, but I happened to be one of the very few, I mean very few that was lucky enough to have been given a Westone lll for evaluation, at the San Jose National meet, which I did post about it a year ago. All I can say, that after a year of long listening with these phones for great period of times, they still amaze me in the quality of sound that they produce, I consider my self one of those rare lucky once who happened to get a good taste of the product that will be available for all to be owned. I have never followed this thread, I have no idea as to what is holding what & have no time to read thousands of posts but Weston lll is the only Universal IEM's that puts the big smile on my face. This is coming from a person who owns some of the best custom built IEM's.
Ray Samuels

Whats going on here, firstly p0wderh0und23 posts his long overdue update stating if true, what he should have posted a long time ago and then Ray Samuels out of the blue going out of his way to state that he has not followed this thread and has no ties with Westone telling us how good they are!!!!
Is it just me or does something smell funny here?

May 18, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #2,200 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats going on here, firstly p0wderh0und23 posts his long overdue update stating if true, what he should have posted a long time ago and then Ray Samuels out of the blue going out of his way to state that he has not followed this thread and has no ties with Westone telling us how good they are!!!!

Given the fact that it's been a while since Ray got his prototype, how I'd look at it is, what he hears may or may not be representative of the final product so I'd take his words with a grain of salt.

May 18, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #2,201 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah, it is just you. nothing stinks about what you referred to. what are you driving at, do you think there is some conspiracy against the consumer or what? do you think that doug's posting a letter from the ceo of westone is false? in return for getting a set of preproduction 3s do you think ray is now doing pr for them? what's your point? it appears that powderhound is not free at this point to just chime in whenever about whatever regarding this product. ray is clearly jazzed about the 3s, enough so that he started a thread in the headphone section ~ a year ago (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wes...al-iem-236659/). he has spoken about his enthusiasm for these iems at a number of meets, and this from a guy who owns some of the finest iems out there, including customs from westone and ultimate ears. at canjam he was kind enough to let a couple of folks listen to his set of 3s (one of the very few out there) and in conversation became aware (if he wasn't already) about the level of negativity amongst some head-fiers that the delays and holes in communication surrounding this product and this thread have produced. this thread is lengthy but there is information about these things on the previous pages which perhaps you should read before you cast aspersions. if you're not comfortable with westone or the wait for this product and want iems, buy something else. there's no shortage of fine offerings these days. i certainly understand the anticipation and disappointment that the delay of gratification has resulted in but the level of complaining and nasty speculative statements that have been posted here (a not insignificant percentage of this thread) is ridiculous.

May 19, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #2,202 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, it is just you. nothing stinks about what you referred to. what are you driving at, do you think there is some conspiracy against the consumer or what? do you think that doug's posting a letter from the ceo of westone is false? in return for getting a set of preproduction 3s do you think ray is now doing pr for them? what's your point? it appears that powderhound is not free at this point to just chime in whenever about whatever regarding this product. ray is clearly jazzed about the 3s, enough so that he started a thread in the headphone section ~ a year ago (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wes...al-iem-236659/). he has spoken about his enthusiasm for these iems at a number of meets, and this from a guy who owns some of the finest iems out there, including customs from westone and ultimate ears. at canjam he was kind enough to let a couple of folks listen to his set of 3s (one of the very few out there) and in conversation became aware (if he wasn't already) about the level of negativity amongst some head-fiers that the delays and holes in communication surrounding this product and this thread have produced. this thread is lengthy but there is information about these things on the previous pages which perhaps you should read before you cast aspersions. if you're not comfortable with westone or the wait for this product and want iems, buy something else. there's no shortage of fine offerings these days. i certainly understand the anticipation and disappointment that the delay of gratification has resulted in but the level of complaining and nasty speculative statements that have been posted here (a not insignificant percentage of this thread) is ridiculous.

I did not say that Doug is lying about the current Westone 3 position, I believe him although he could of stated this quite a while ago. What I'm referring to is the timing that all this has occurred. Doug posts his position then Ray does, all the while stressing he did not follow the thread and how he has no affiliation with Westone plus how good they sound. I think there is ample room here for some doubt or suspicion. This is my take on this, Doug posts his point and then Ray assures everyone to just hang on a little longer.
"All I can say, that after a year of long listening with these phones for great period of times, they still amaze me in the quality of sound that they produce"

To me Doug and Ray are merely helping each other, the same way Microsoft and Intel do. Rubbing each others back as it were, many people in business do this. I prefer they didn't but I just live on this planet, I do not control it.
I am not angry or frustrated about this 3 model coming out although justifiably annoyed at their business practices. Doug pointed out the delay reasons, fine, why didn't he just say this months ago? I knew it was something like this. I prefer and encourage that any company produce and only release a product when perfect. The opposite is more true today than ever before. I for one will wait and happily buy a set when ready.

May 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #2,203 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the fact that it's been a while since Ray got his prototype, how I'd look at it is, what he hears may or may not be representative of the final product so I'd take his words with a grain of salt.

Thank you PFKMan23, as you had a very good point here. I commented on the Prototype that I was given a year ago in the International head-fi meet. I loved it & wrote a short comment on the sound as a Universal IEM.

If the new Weston lll is not Identical in every aspect possible to the one I have then I have not heard the Westone lll that is going to be sold to the customers.
I do like & love the sound of the prototype, if they make it any better then I will be the judge of that at that time after I put plenty of hours on it. Mean while I just want to comment on one thing & that is that I have met & seen Doug once in the National meet & once in Colorado when I attended head-fi meet. I do not have to promote or want them to promote my products. They don't need my help to sell their products, neither do I. Please keep the assupmtions aside & deal with the facts. As I say I will be just like every one else who will be hearing the Westone lll for the first time if it is litterary NOT identical to the one by me.
Ray Samuels

May 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #2,204 of 2,524
I have a pair of UM1s - love 'em.
I recently purchased a pair of SE530s - love 'em.
I'm patiently waiting for the Westone IIIs and I will purchase a pair when they come out - probably love 'em.
I will probably buy the next major advancement in universals - probably love 'em.
I WILL NOT be making statements against Shure, Etymotic, Sennheiser, Sony, or whoever if they don't come up with something new and great on some arbitrary timeline that my upgraditis gene demands. [A Sony R11 would be kinda cool...]
Sit back, listen to what you do have, and enjoy your hobby!
Happy Listening!

May 19, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2,205 of 2,524
Westone has completely flubbed this beyond all reason and has permanently lowered themselves in many eyes here simply because of what was good communication suddenly turning into no communication. Headfi is chump change to them, but it's not really good policy to remind the customers of that fact either.

But this has anything to do with Ray's opinions how? It doesn't. Ray hasn't exactly been secretive about what he thinks of the Westone 3's he's heard. It's no state secret, not something unknown, not kept on the down-low.
tongue.gif

The one has nothing to do with the other. These are not the droids you're looking for.

Craiglister, keep on keepin' on!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back