Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #1,501 of 2,524
^Severe wishful thinking - not that I blame you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #1,502 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doug, any idea if the customs will be available at the same time as the standard 3's ? Hopefully I won't have to wait another couple of months longer
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm itching to get my ears on a pair of these delightful little fellas.

I honestly do not know. My guess is that it will be a few months. The 3Custom is very early ALPHA as all efforts have been focused on getting the dang 3 out. :wink:

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #1,503 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone’s new 3 – The first true three-way earphone made for music lovers

The Westone 3 is the first true universal fit three-way earphone designed for personal listening. Its balanced armature drivers and three-way crossover network deliver powerful lows, lush midrange, and crystal-clear highs that add incredible realism and punch to your listening experiences. The 3’s ergonomic fit provides unmatched comfort, outstanding sound isolation, and accurate reproduction that will satisfy the most demanding music lover or audiophile.

The Westone 3 is the culmination of almost 50 years of experience creating products for the human ear, and 20-plus years of developing in-ear technology for pro musicians. Westone monitors’ clarity, response and fit have made them the favorites of top recording and performing musicians worldwide.

Technical Specs:
Sensitivity – 119 dB/mW
Impedance – 27ohms
Drivers – 3 balanced armatures with 3-way passive crossover

Accessories:
Inline Volume Control
¼” Adapter
Travel Case
Tips (various sizes and styles)

We will have prototypes at MacWorld in San Fran next week. Come hear them for yourself !

Hey there!!

I was over at Westone today, delivering my new ear impressions for my UM56 vinyl custom IEM tips.

While I was there, I bugged Dale for a while with all kinds of questions, and he was extremely helpful. We talked and he discovered I was an audiophile, not just a Shure E500 owner, and I offered to let him listen to my iBasso D1 portable DAC/AMP with my iRiver H140 and optical out.

He felt the need to get "listen to the good earphones" as he eyed my Shures. He comes back with some Westone 3 earphones for me to audition, so with Complys tips I listened to my Shure, and then the Westone. I also gave him the opportunity to listen to the Westone 3 with a nice source and amp.

My next question was HOW SOON can I have some, can I borrow them for a week to do a review, do you know when they will be available for review, can you tell me more than "SOON"?
very_evil_smiley.gif

westone_3.jpg

I only had 2 minutes to listen to them, but that was enough to tell that they improve on the SE500's noticably. It took me 3-4 hours to decide I liked the Livewires better than SE500's, and 2 minutes with the Westone 3 was enough to rank them. I CANNOT compare to the Livewires, but the livewires were in the same direction as the Westone 3 but with slightly less bass (from my recollection since I mailed them out Monday to be tweaked).

I can't decribe everything, but there was just as much or more soundstage, more mid and high presense, plenty of bass impact without boomyness or coloration, good extension on lows and highs, mucho detail and definition of individual instruments. Side by side they do reveal the failings of the Shure SE500's, and while the SE500's sound great on their own merits, it appears that the Livewires and soon the Westone 3 will be replacing my Denon C700 and Shure SE500's.
redface.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #1,504 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly do not know. My guess is that it will be a few months. The 3Custom is very early ALPHA as all efforts have been focused on getting the dang 3 out. :wink:

I know I am personally very excited for the 3 Customs to make it up to the next letter in the alphabet!
cool.gif

Good luck getting the 3 on the streets. Headphoneaddict's hands-on test makes them sound killer.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #1,508 of 2,524
Nothing has changed. The ones we have on the table outside my office are the same design as the ones we shot photos of a few months back. Now, the tips in the shot are silicone "mushroom" tips and the ones used yesterday were probably Comply tips.

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #1,509 of 2,524
Okay, nevermind.

If you look at my picture, they look more like a flat round disc, especially from the underside where the output nozle is, and I spent more time viewing them from the backside/nozle side (putting on and removing tips).

But, studying the wierd angle I shot my photo from, they do seem like they would match the other photo. I had just never looked at them from that angle.

westone_3.jpg

westone3.jpg

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #1,510 of 2,524
I guess the above photo confusion I had was because I cared more about the sound than the looks
redface.gif

Powderhound, are you the Doug (or Don) they couldn't get hold of just before 3pm yesterday, so they grabbed Dale instead, or are you at a different location, or across the street? Dale was really helpful, and I do appreciate not being shooo'd out the door for being there
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #1,513 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean E500 or SE530, right?
wink.gif

No I mean "E500 and (not or) SE530".

I've mentioned in a few places that I use the term SE500's because my E500's have the same earpiece and drivers as the SE530's (straight from the horses mouth). It's my way of protesting a silly name change that causes the uninformed to ditch their E500 and buy SE530 on ebay because they are updated for 2007.

Oct 5, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #1,514 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I mean "E500 and (not or) SE530".

I've mentioned in a few places that I use the term SE500's because my E500's have the same earpiece and drivers as the SE530's (straight from the horses mouth). It's my way of protesting a silly name change that causes the uninformed to ditch their E500 and buy SE530 on ebay because they are updated for 2007.

Haha you should put an explanation in your signature so you don't have to explain in every thread.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back