Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Feb 23, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #451 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seven Springs? I feel for you, guy. My condolences. That's coming from a Pitt grad living in Colorado.

Hahaha. No, my uncle lives in Salt Lake and we had a big family thing there. It was awesome. The snow was great and the weather was beautiful.
biggrin.gif

Alright, sorry for the interruption everyone. Continue arguing about the price.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #452 of 2,524
While I agree that $400 is a lot to pay for an IEM out of the gate, I don't see why people are worried. If you wait a while you'll inevitably see price drops whether they're popular or not, because if they're popular you'll see competitive pricing, and if they're unpopular you'll see stores trying to get rid of them. The only people with anything to worry about are the early adopters.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #453 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I agree that $400 is a lot to pay for an IEM out of the gate, I don't see why people are worried. If you wait a while you'll inevitably see price drops whether they're popular or not, because if they're popular you'll see competitive pricing, and if they're unpopular you'll see stores trying to get rid of them. The only people with anyone to worry about are the early adopters.

Actually, it appears this is not true for Westone. It doesn't appear a price drop later or discounted retailers are going to be something that can be expected with this product. UM2s are $299 (and at least *I* can't even find them for $269-$279 as some have mentioned) and as long as I've been looking have always sold for that price.

With just about everything else that's true though.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #454 of 2,524
I don't think any "early adopter" who already digs the Westone "house" sound has anything to worry about. Shure and Ultimate Ears should be worried.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #455 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please excuse me if this question comes off as amateur. It's just that, well, I am an amateur... I'm new to this whole IEM thing. That being said...

p0wderh0und23, how well does the Westone 3 perform with classical music? I recently bought the E4c because I read it was well suited to classical. I do love my E4c but the sound isn't quite as "full" as I'd like, which I guess means I want more bass (BTW, using comply tips and getting good seal).

I was considering exchanging for the UM2. Then I read that its superior bass causes loss of detail in the mids and highs, thus making them not ideal for classical.

Any idea if this is true for the Westone 3? Is it even possible to have bass that "whumps" without sacrificing detail in the mids/highs? Or is it always a game of give and take?
etysmile.gif

They sounnd good with Classical. I've used the Ultrasone Benchmark CD and a John Rutters Requiem for benchmarking the sound and accuracy, yeah "it's in there". There was nothing overpowering in any of the frequency ranges, and yes I agree with the UM2 being a little "bass heavy" for classical. It's just part of it's desgn, not a flaw.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #456 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? The injection molding of the plastic shells and the assembly of the final product for the UM series?

I'm sure the customs are in fact all made in the USA, but I'd be impressed if the mass produced UM series (including the Westone 3) are all made in the USA.

-Ed

UM1 and UM2 - injection molding of shells and assmebly done here in our labs in Colorado Springs. The Westone3 will be injection molded and assembled here as well. These babies bleed red, white and blue!

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #457 of 2,524
Quote:

These babies bleed red, white and blue!

Kick ass! Another reason to buy Westone!

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #458 of 2,524
Haha... I just noticed your "location"...
wink.gif

For some reason I'm hearing Toby Keith music in the background....

"...Courtesy of the red white and blue! ...."

Umm, hey wait a minute.... where was that iPod of yours made?!??!!

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #459 of 2,524
Morph201 - Clear your PM box

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #461 of 2,524
after getting my e5c rig violently robbed (sig), i feel that the westone 3 may now be in my (probably distant) future. as soon as i save up the money (and pay the bills, get the gf's b-day present, sort out loans...) or maybe westone would like to send me a pair for "evaluation" or "review"....
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #462 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after getting my e5c rig violently robbed (sig), i feel that the westone 3 may now be in my (probably distant) future.

sorry to hear that you were attacked and robbed. hopefully you are okay. this kind of thing is why myself and others have, throughout this thread, requested that these new iems be subtle and subdued in appearance. who wants to be wearing an invitation to bodily harm (lord knows that hanging around this forum can cause major harm to one's wallet!).

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #463 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by K.Ashwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to take time to properly respond as I was pressed for time earlier today when I posted previously.

According to Doug at Westone the release will happen in March. What the actual date is still not known or yet to be released. Westone has stated that once released there will be enough for all pre-orders. The moment we know more we [size=small]surly[/size] let everybody here know as well.

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

aaacckkk! surely you can treat your customers better than that Keith!
tongue.gif

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
sur·ly /ˈsɜrli/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sur-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, -li·er, -li·est.
1.churlishly rude or bad-tempered: a surly waiter.
2.unfriendly or hostile; menacingly irritable: a surly old lion.
3.dark or dismal; menacing; threatening: a surly sky.
4.Obsolete. lordly; arrogant.
[Origin: 1560–70; sp. var. of obs. sirly lordly, arrogant, equiv. to sir + -ly]

—Related forms
sur·li·ly, adverb
sur·li·ness, noun

—Synonyms 1. sullen, irascible, cross, grumpy. See glum.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #464 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aaacckkk! surely you can treat your customers better than that Keith!
tongue.gif

He can, but don't call him Shirley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back