Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Feb 22, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #436 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't buy it Mr. Factor
wink.gif
... just look around here and you can see almost as many disappointed E500 owners as happy ones. The E500 simply did not do as well as they thought it would. I mean if you used the same logic in other industries such as auto BMW, Mercedes, etc. would be lowering their prices to stay competitive with Japanese luxury vehicles.

I like Shure but I'd take the E4C over the E500 at almost twice the price any day of the week... in fact I'd take the E4C over the E500 if they cost the same.

I agree. The 6 months preceding the release of the Shure E500's there was a HUGE amount of hype surrounding the E500's. There were comparisons being made to the UE-10 Pro, the most expensive custom IEM on the market, which in hindsight to me was "spin". The E500 simply didn't live up to the hype.

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #437 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The 6 months preceding the release of the Shure E500's there was a HUGE amount of hype surrounding the E500's. There were comparisons being made to the UE-10 Pro, the most expensive custom IEM on the market, which in hindsight to me was "spin". The E500 simply didn't live up to the hype.

Before any major launch there is usually a pretty good deal of hype. When Etymotic was getting ready to release the er-6i, it was a buzz on the board for a good while before the drop date, and the E500 was much the same way. Expectations will vary from person to person, and usually increase the hype with word of mouth.

As for "spin" vs. hoped for results, it's kind of hard to point a finger. I think if the manufacturer is saying that a negative trait, is something that should be considered positive, that would be spin. If people are just so overly excited about something that they can't see the flaws, and explain it away as the new best thing, that's Head-Fi.

I mentioned the two examples above, because I was one of the early adopters of the er-6i. I loved it, thought it was great. I still think it was a great purchase at its price point. I also got to hear the E500 at a meet before it was released for sale. I gave it a good hard listen, and was not impressed. I thought it was better than others in the Shure lineup, but it didn't suit my listening taste, and decided not to buy it.

I don't think Shure did any kind of "spin job" about the E500, they just promoted their product. If I hadn't listened to it, I would have believed the hype that they drummed up, and probably purchased it.

just some thoughts...

-Jeff

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #441 of 2,524
[size=small]March according to Doug at Westone. They are still fine tuning their tool for the shell of the 3. On a side note today we received the first SE series from Shure (SE210 and SE530 -- without the PTH) which were expected only in March originally.

We were promissed enough [size=medium]Westone 3[/size] on our first shipment that we feel confident ALL pre-orders will be fulfilled on the first batch from Westone to us. Thanks again for all your support.

My 2 cents regarding all the discussion about pricing: Westone earphones are MADE IN AMERICA.

Nice seeing you Pete7 and Wakeride74
wink.gif
I wish you guys were part of our team
smily_headphones1.gif
If any one of you 2 ever move or come to Florida somewhere close to Disney PLEASE come visit us.[/size]

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #442 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]On a side note today we received the first SE series from Shure (SE210 and SE530 -- without the PTH)[/size]

Hi Flavio,

Tell me are the SE530 - without the PTH - cheaper than the 500's? I don't need the PTH.

Thanks,

ZT

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #443 of 2,524
Hi ZT,

I'm sorry everyone as I understand this is a sponsored Westone thread but to answer your question the SE530 retails for $50 less than the E500 (or SE530-PTH). Unfortunately we cannot ship Shure to New Zealand. We can only ship Shure to North America. We can however ship you any UE earphones and Westone earphones. You should take a good look at the new Westone 3. I personally like the UM2 better than the E500 for most of my music collection. Knowing how Westone tweak (or better yet, not tweak) their sound I can only imagine the 3 will be my new favorite earphones. You may send me an email so that we can talk some more about your different options.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #444 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. - So which is it, skiing or boarding? I was boarding this weekend (Monday classes are overrated).

Seven Springs? I feel for you, guy. My condolences. That's coming from a Pitt grad living in Colorado.

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #445 of 2,524
Quote:

[size=small]

My 2 cents regarding all the discussion about pricing: Westone earphones are MADE IN AMERICA.[/size]

Really? The injection molding of the plastic shells and the assembly of the final product for the UM series?

I'm sure the customs are in fact all made in the USA, but I'd be impressed if the mass produced UM series (including the Westone 3) are all made in the USA.

-Ed

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #446 of 2,524
Quote:

[size=small]March according to Doug at Westone. They are still fine tuning their tool for the shell of the 3. On a side note today we received the first SE series from Shure (SE210 and SE530 -- without the PTH) which were expected only in March originally.

We were promissed enough [size=medium]Westone 3[/size] on our first shipment that we feel confident ALL pre-orders will be fulfilled on the first batch from Westone to us. Thanks again for all your support.

My 2 cents regarding all the discussion about pricing: Westone earphones are MADE IN AMERICA.

Nice seeing you Pete7 and Wakeride74
wink.gif
I wish you guys were part of our team
smily_headphones1.gif
If any one of you 2 ever move or come to Florida somewhere close to Disney PLEASE come visit us.[/size]

Do you have a specific date when the first batch will be shipped?
I am very impatient to look forward this new IEM, and I had placed my
order early when it's available for pre-order.

Sorry about that, I want to ask one more question:"Is the Westone DELUXE Pelican Hard Case included as American Tech Pusher does."

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #447 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't buy it Mr. Factor
wink.gif
... just look around here and you can see almost as many disappointed E500 owners as happy ones. The E500 simply did not do as well as they thought it would. I mean if you used the same logic in other industries such as auto BMW, Mercedes, etc. would be lowering their prices to stay competitive with Japanese luxury vehicles.

I like Shure but I'd take the E4C over the E500 at almost twice the price any day of the week... in fact I'd take the E4C over the E500 if they cost the same.

objective view from the High-fi sideline:

not sure where you get as many disappointed E500 owners as happy ones... I count (by a long shot) more happy ones, ,myself included. I dont know if Shure had a hit on their hands or not with the E500 from a sales POV, they sure kicked UEs tail by getting to market first, but I dont think it was the quality but perhaps the sales price (MSRP) that maybe lowered their estimates. The UEs at a lower price point are still not selling well and get good reviews. I found that at 325.00 I was more than happy to part with my cash to get a pair of E500s, and I dont have anything that comes close at that price point, my E4cs included.... to me the E500s best their quality, comfort and signature.

Maybe 399.00 is still too high.. UE doenst seem to be moving a good product but take a look on EBay at just how many E500s are flying of the shelves at 325.00 IMO if Westone comes out at the 399 price point they are going to see the same/similar results that UE is at the moment. Maybe there is something to be learned here, maybe the MSRP point is really 349.95, they are a high profit item for the manufacturor.

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #448 of 2,524
Please excuse me if this question comes off as amateur. It's just that, well, I am an amateur... I'm new to this whole IEM thing. That being said...

p0wderh0und23, how well does the Westone 3 perform with classical music? I recently bought the E4c because I read it was well suited to classical. I do love my E4c but the sound isn't quite as "full" as I'd like, which I guess means I want more bass (BTW, using comply tips and getting good seal).

I was considering exchanging for the UM2. Then I read that its superior bass causes loss of detail in the mids and highs, thus making them not ideal for classical.

Any idea if this is true for the Westone 3? Is it even possible to have bass that "whumps" without sacrificing detail in the mids/highs? Or is it always a game of give and take?
etysmile.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #449 of 2,524
I wanted to take time to properly respond as I was pressed for time earlier today when I posted previously.

According to Doug at Westone the release will happen in March. What the actual date is still not known or yet to be released. Westone has stated that once released there will be enough for all pre-orders. The moment we know more we will surely let everybody here know as well.

Thanks to those that have already pre-ordered. The response has been phenomenal! I personally Thank you all for your support.

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #450 of 2,524
CMasten - This is really supposed to be a Westone3 thread so I won't derail it any further with E500 debate but just search "E500" in the FS and headphone forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back