Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Feb 13, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #316 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm the only one who thought the white looked pretty good? ^^
well i don't particulary like clear , i'd take a cool black though
biggrin.gif

Silver or black both sound nice. A good match for the new shuffle/nanos. Yay!

Feb 14, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #317 of 2,524
I vote clear or black, but preferably clear. I don't like IEMs that draw attention.

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #318 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i vote clear! go team stealth!
seriously, the clear option is a seller for me, i like that my e5c dont draw any uneccesary attention to themselfs.

cant wait to see some real pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote clear or black, but preferably clear. I don't like IEMs that draw attention.

Amen!! I WANT CLEAR!! heh

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #319 of 2,524
Hi guys! This is my first post although, from time to time, I have roamed this forum in search for some good info and advice. That's why I bought the beautiful UM2 last year. I had to order it in the US and have it shipped to Holland, pay a little extra import taxes, and voila, there they were.
etysmile.gif
Soon I started to have trouble keeping them in and after further examination by an expert, it appeared my canals are quite tiny, so there went another baggo cash towards custom molds... At last!!! Perfect, comfortable fit and good quality. I was so happy on my bike!! Until last month, when I was moving house I was not taking care enough and my jacket got stolen with my ipod and ... yes...
mad.gif
So, back to this forum and I see this thread. Will this horror (I'm using apple earphones now) turn into something good with the 3? You can imagine I would like to try them out with my finicky ears, before ordering. If I can't in Holland, I better wait for the custom builds. Does anyone know? Tim (very impatient)
frown.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #320 of 2,524
Did you ever try Shure tips with your UM2s? If not it would have been worth trying the small Shure foamies/sleeves before getting customs... of course that's all inconsequential now. I'll let someone who has tried the demo build Westone 3's answer your question

Feb 14, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #321 of 2,524
timikid - I believe Westone keeps your custom molds on file for a while, a year or two at least. You might be able to get a new set for just the price of the inserts, no need to go through the re-molding process.

That said, I thought I read that the UM-56's would fit on the new 3's. This means you could either get another set of UM2's (likely find a used set here), get a new set of UM-56's and get back to where you started, or get the new 3's and still use your UM-56's, thus not needing to worry about the fit issue.

I've found that emailing (or phoning) Westone gets near instant results with the nicest and most helpful people around. Try it, you might be surprised at how good the service is!

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #322 of 2,524
Hey p0wderh0und23:

I have a question, how will the single 3-way crossover's sound compare to a passive crossover?

In short I would like to know if the mids would be improved and/or if there is any extra benefit to the bass and/or treble.

I am directing this question mainly at the custom version.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #323 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
timikid - I believe Westone keeps your custom molds on file for a while, a year or two at least. You might be able to get a new set for just the price of the inserts, no need to go through the re-molding process.

That said, I thought I read that the UM-56's would fit on the new 3's. This means you could either get another set of UM2's (likely find a used set here), get a new set of UM-56's and get back to where you started, or get the new 3's and still use your UM-56's, thus not needing to worry about the fit issue.

I've found that emailing (or phoning) Westone gets near instant results with the nicest and most helpful people around. Try it, you might be surprised at how good the service is!

Westone customer service is legendary. Period.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #325 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey p0wderh0und23:

I have a question, how will the single 3-way crossover's sound compare to a passive crossover?

In short I would like to know if the mids would be improved and/or if there is any extra benefit to the bass and/or treble.

I am directing this question mainly at the custom version.

The 3's crossover is passive in both the universal and custom fit. It was designed to only push the most effecient frequencies to each driver, thus making each of the three (lows, mids, highs) have greater clarity and allow the drivers reproducing the sound to run in their "sweet spot". A good passive crossover is built to run speakers effeciently. That's what we aimed for with the 3.

I'd love to go into the crossover points and such, but that's like the Colonel giving up the secrect receipe...not gonna happen.
biggrin.gif

Now when moving to a custom fit over the universal fit, the clarity will increase even more due to the larger diameter sound bores and length of the sound tubes inside the canal portion of mold.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #328 of 2,524
Quote:

For custom monitors/earphones yes. For a custom molds that fits on your universal fit earphones it's only 60 days. We get like 8000-10000 orders a week for custom molds. Our warehouse would look like the National Archives if we kept everything.

I usually recommend people ask for their impressions back and they keep them in a safe place.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #329 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pOwderhound,
How will the new 3's compare to the E500's?

I believe someone did a quick A/B earlier in this post. I'll let those who have heard the two comment on that one. I know Iron_Dreamer has heard both. I let him hear the 3 in L.A. last month and he was talking about the E500.

Size wise, they are pretty close in size, the 3 is a little "thinner" and isolates a little better.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #330 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe someone did a quick A/B earlier in this post. I'll let those who have heard the two comment on that one. I know Iron_Dreamer has heard both. I let him hear the 3 in L.A. last month and he was talking about the E500.

Size wise, they are pretty close in size, the 3 is a little "thinner" and isolates a little better.

Would you say that the 3 is closer in size/shape to the E500 than the UM2? One of the reasons I sold the E500 and kept the UM2 was that I really liked the fact that the UM2 was flatter and therefore sits more flush in my ear. Or is that what you mean when you say the 3 is "thinner"?

Just curious, not really a deal breaker for me I've just been really happy with the comfort of the UM2 with complies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back