Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Feb 18, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #391 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe it's not actually the red symbol that's a 3 , it's between the red symbol and the little red triangle , it makes a 3 in black . once you see it once it's clear
smily_headphones1.gif

how very stealthy!
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
w3.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent work
biggrin.gif

x2!

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #392 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdonly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Not getting the right fit the first (or second, or third) time around. I'd get real frustrated sending that thing back and forth for resizing/reshaping.

If the impressions were done properly, they should fit the first time. Mine fit perfectly.
Quote:

2) That perhaps your ear canal size/shape change over time. If I drop $700+ on IEMs, yes I know you can't expect a lifetime out of them, but I'd think 7-10 years is about right.

I have heard that average life-expectancy is anywhere between 2 to 4 years depending on the rate at which your ears canals change. The cost to remake them will be a small fraction of the original selling price.

Do you honestly believe that you will keep an IEM for 7-10 years? There are new IEMs coming out each year!
Quote:

3) Some have expressed discomfort with them. And since they're custom, there's basically no return for refund policy, is there?

Discomfort? I haven't heard of such a thing
tongue.gif
However, it is true that there is no return/refund policy for these
frown.gif
They sound so incredible that I'd have a hard time believing someone actually needing a refund
biggrin.gif

Quote:

4) Durability of them, and cost of repair down the line. For universals, lose a tip, get new tip for $5-$10. For custom IEM, anything goes wrong, it's back to the factory.

Again, the cost of repair will be a small fraction of the original selling price. Also, warranty should cover most of the costs.
Quote:

5) The aforementioned no re-sale value.

This is sadly unavoidable.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #393 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you honestly believe that you will keep an IEM for 7-10 years? There are new IEMs coming out each year!

The big thing stopping me going custom... should be the end of the journey, but ever since I discovered internet shopping... I.can't.resist.clicking.buy

But then on the other hand, you do only have one pair of ears... I will hate myself for getting another universal instead of a custom... but curiosity seduces me every time a new universal is announced... grumble grumble

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #394 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the impressions were done properly, they should fit the first time. Mine fit perfectly.

Not necessarily true. There is always margin for error, even with experienced audiologists. I have had three sets of impressions taken over the last year at three difference places for musicians ear plugs - two of them were senasphonics recommended places, and the other was over in the UK. The sensaphonics one is the best, but it still isn't perfect (I only notice the places where it doesn't fit perfectly after a few hours of use, so didn't make it in time for the guaranteed refit time).

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #395 of 2,524
Quote:

I have heard that average life-expectancy is anywhere between 2 to 4 years depending on the rate at which your ears canals change. The cost to remake them will be a small fraction of the original selling price.

And that's exactly the problem. $700-$1000 for only 2-4 years of use? That to me is unfathomable. I paid $300 for my DT880s in 2005 and I expect to realistically use them for that long, if not longer. In 1989 I got my first "serious" cans (Sony MDR-V6) and they lasted 8 years, only breaking because of inadvertent abuse (got caught in luggage under something heavy), and those only cost $90 at the time.

I'm not one of those who upgrades just because there's something new coming out each year. I want to get the best sound I can possibly get and can be very happy with that. I have no issues at all with my DT880s despite the fact that dozens of new cans (including a new version of the 880s) have come out since then. When you spend a certain amount of money, you should rightfully expect things to last a good long while.

As far as remaking them after you ear canals change "for a fraction of the cost" - do you have any concrete idea as to what that "small fraction" is? 1/4 may seem like a small fraction, but if the selling price is, say $800, then that's $200 to remake them.

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #396 of 2,524
Quote:

And that's exactly the problem. $700-$1000 for only 2-4 years of use? That to me is unfathomable. I paid $300 for my DT880s in 2005 and I expect to realistically use them for that long, if not longer. In 1989 I got my first "serious" cans (Sony MDR-V6) and they lasted 8 years, only breaking because of inadvertent abuse (got caught in luggage under something heavy), and those only cost $90 at the time.

I'm not one of those who upgrades just because there's something new coming out each year. I want to get the best sound I can possibly get and can be very happy with that. I have no issues at all with my DT880s despite the fact that dozens of new cans (including a new version of the 880s) have come out since then. When you spend a certain amount of money, you should rightfully expect things to last a good long while.

As far as remaking them after you ear canals change "for a fraction of the cost" - do you have any concrete idea as to what that "small fraction" is? 1/4 may seem like a small fraction, but if the selling price is, say $800, then that's $200 to remake them.

Nicely put, and yes the large amounts of money we drop in this hobby are staggering when you look back and add them up.
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #397 of 2,524
I for one am waiting for the customs, and really won't hesitate to get a pair when they become available. The only thing stopping me from getting them they day they are announced would be explaining to my wife, why I'm spending the amount of money that I'll be spending for, as she puts it, yet another set of those damn headphones. She doesn't understand anyone would need more than one. She just doesn't get it, but that's another story.

I've got the UM1 and the UM2, and picked up a pair of UM56 customs tips about a year ago. The jump to a custom fit tip was the best investment I ever made. First it was a great cost savings over using the comply tips. Short term, it might seem a bit pricy, but when you factor in the usable life of the foamies, cost for replacement, the customs win.

The next evolution in sound and comfort, is going to be going full custom. You do run the risk of not being happy with them and not being able to recover the cost. That makes customs from any vendor a risk, that not everybody is ready to make. From the reports I've heard of those that have made the jump, it is worth it.

good luck,

-Jeff

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #398 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one am waiting for the customs, and really won't hesitate to get a pair when they become available. The only thing stopping me from getting them they day they are announced would be explaining to my wife, why I'm spending the amount of money that I'll be spending for, as she puts it, yet another set of those damn headphones. She doesn't understand anyone would need more than one. She just doesn't get it, but that's another story.

Bahaha! That sounds familiar!! I agree, the next logical step is not another IEM (for me) but FULL CUSTOMS! Along with additional full sized can purchases.
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #399 of 2,524
very sexy, but alas it does nothing for me. but when that custom 3 comes out...OH NOES!!!

*looks at ES2s*

phew, close call.

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #400 of 2,524
So here's my .02 on the whole how long does a custom last... it depends on you. The average person can start to notice a slight loss in the seal after about 3-4 years. This does not mean the fit is shot, it means the tight seal that you had that blocked the 25dB (or more) start to drop. I've worked with people who have had their ES2's for 9 years with no issues other than the seal has started to drop recently.

As for the cost to have a re-case done, right now for say, a set of ES2's you are looking at around $300. One way to look at it is like this.... if you have found a sound you really like and 5 years down the road you need a re-case, you are looking at about $700 for a new set or $300 for a re-case of what you know and are happy with.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #401 of 2,524
Perhaps I'm being argumentative, but just about ANY custom product, from cowboy boots to houses has the same issues brought up here. Customs cost more, they wear out (sooner or later) and they have no re-sale value. On the other hand, a custom product fits better, works better and is probably more satisfying.

It all comes down to your priorities. If you want "the best," whatever that is, sound, fit, function, style, etc., pay the money and get customs. If you value lower prices and possible re-sale, get a universal.

Neither is right or wrong, just a question of what you are willing and able to spend and what you are willing and able to do without.

Personally, I'm getting customs knowing full well they will be around 2X more than universals. I have both UM2's and ES2's and I feel the ES2's are 2X better than the UM2's. This is my choice. If I eat rice and beans for a while in order to pay for the custom 3's, this too is my choice.

For what it's worth, my experience with the (custom) ES2's has been quite pleasant. Yes, they were expensive. Yes, it took about a month from the day I decided to go for it until the final, correctly fitted product came back (I needed one re-fit). Yes, after several hours of continuous wear I start to notice little areas around my ears where the ES2's aren't perfect. Yes I dropped them and had to send them back to Westone for repairs. So, yes, this was all somewhat inconvenient. But, these are THE BEST, most satisfying, most gratifying, most comfortable headphones I have ever had (I've had a fair number over the years). So good in fact that I will be getting custom 3's even though I've owned the ES2's for only 9 months or so, even though it's gonna be inconvenient again, and even though I haven't read one review. Westone as a company is that good. I trust their products and their people.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #402 of 2,524
I've not seen it mentioned by the OP, but are the Westone 3's meant to replace anything in the ES line?

Also I'm a long time UM2 user, daily for the past year, I cant wait for the new Westones. The UM2s have been very good and look forward to a 3 driver unit. Also let me state my wish for clear casings as I love the stealth look as they somewhat disappear in my ears.

This was a pleasant surprise finding out about these on the earphonesolutions site while giving recommendations out to friends.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #403 of 2,524
powderhound, thanks for the reply.
Quote:

Perhaps I'm being argumentative, but just about ANY custom product, from cowboy boots to houses has the same issues brought up here. Customs cost more, they wear out (sooner or later) and they have no re-sale value. On the other hand, a custom product fits better, works better and is probably more satisfying.

Hmm, last I checked you could resell a custom house...
wink.gif

And comparing shoes to earphones? Not even in the same league. One expects to go through shoes quickly because of the nature of the use, one does not expect to quickly run through headphones/IEMs. One may choose to constantly upgrade headphones due to changes in technology, but not because one has "worn out" or broken down. At least not at the rate they change shoes. And you know what, even if I won the lottery and had millions to spend, for spending $700-$1000 (cost of most top-end custom IEMs) I would still expect them to last a decent amount of time. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect at least 7 years out of such a product.

Yes, we all realize nothing lasts forever. However it is nice to have the accurate figures/estimates as to what the replacement/remake costs are for the customs, which powderhound graciously provided. It gives the potential buyers a good idea of what additional costs may come down the road. So now rather than think "$700 and I'm good for a long while" we now know that in about 4 years the seal won't be as tight as it is now, and in order to remake the mold, it will cost another $300 to have it done. Now that he's provided those numbers and i have my eyes open to the potential additional costs, I may still go the custom route. But if/when I do, I will have more manageable expectations that I may have to shell out a significant amount of money a few years down the line, something that no other custom IEM seller has bothered to warn us about.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #404 of 2,524
Quote:

I've not seen it mentioned by the OP, but are the Westone 3's meant to replace anything in the ES line?

Nope. The ES's are the same. This is a new line that we are starting aimed at personal listening/audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back