Westone 3 - You asked for it, we listened !
Feb 17, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #376 of 2,524
For those that already pre-ordered or are going to pre-order through American Techpushers once there are final color options we will contact everybody to what there color preference is.

I like the Black myself but the clear still my fav.

Thanks to those that have already pre-orderd

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #377 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I brought that up. It sounds like the plan is to just ship the triflanges. I'll bring it up again and see what I can do.

Excellent! How're these phones in efficiency compared to the previous models and competing iems? Especially for unamped portable sources?

I love the soundstage of the E500 and the ES2. Of course, the ES2's soundstage must be due to its custom molds. But since the E500 was able to do well in this area, here's hoping these would too. How's the soundtage of the 3 compared to the E500? Or did these just retain the UM2 soundstage character?

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #378 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "symbol" is a 3 btw. Just in case you didn't notice.
wink.gif

i'm not seeing this
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #379 of 2,524
Quote:

Yeah I brought that up. It sounds like the plan is to just ship the triflanges. I'll bring it up again and see what I can do.

thanks for working on this Doug. tell 'em that head-fiers are clamoring for this!
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #380 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could also ship 2 tri-flange pairs that way people could mod the other pair to bi-flange if they want ,if that helps .assuming there is no major difference between regular bi-flange and modded ones

great minds think alike!
wink.gif
:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...9&postcount=87

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #381 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not seeing this
confused.gif

hehe it's not actually the red symbol that's a 3 , it's between the red symbol and the little red triangle , it makes a 3 in black . once you see it once it's clear
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #382 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe it's not actually the red symbol that's a 3 , it's between the red symbol and the little red triangle , it makes a 3 in black . once you see it once it's clear
smily_headphones1.gif

w3.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #384 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! How're these phones in efficiency compared to the previous models and competing iems? Especially for unamped portable sources?

If you look on the first page, the efficiency is listed at 119dB which sounds like plenty for mp3 players :)

Feb 17, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #385 of 2,524
Quote:

Right now we are looking at $350-400 for the universals. No pricing yet on the custom version.

I know you said no pricing yet for customs. Any updates on that? Im guessing we are looking at a $700 or above range for these.

Also will the customs have a later arrival date? Any ideas when?

Also will like the ES-2, the custom versions have very high sensitivity and thus require an amplifier nearly all the time or create a lot of hiss?

The Westone 3s sound great description wise. Great Westone build quality. Wonderful non-existent microphonics. A beefed up ER-4 or similar to ES-2. But Ive always had a problem with Westone tips coming off in my ears, so if Im goin to buy these I want the custom versions. Yet, I really like the efficiency and impedance of the universals for an MP3 player, I'm just hoping you will provide matching or similar specs for the universal.

Edit: I figured out a more simple question. Will the customs 3s be a seperate design or merely the 3s with custom tips. And if not will there be much of a difference at all between the two? Am I better of pre-ordering the 3s and getting customs than buying the full-on custom set? Oh and on that note. Do you have any audiologists in Montreal, QC, Canada. I tried to search audiologists on your website, but there wasnt an option for Canada.

Feb 18, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #386 of 2,524
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you said no pricing yet for customs. Any updates on that? Im guessing we are looking at a $700 or above range for these.

Also will the customs have a later arrival date? Any ideas when?

Also will like the ES-2, the custom versions have very high sensitivity and thus require an amplifier nearly all the time or create a lot of hiss?

The Westone 3s sound great description wise. Great Westone build quality. Wonderful non-existent microphonics. A beefed up ER-4 or similar to ES-2. But Ive always had a problem with Westone tips coming off in my ears, so if Im goin to buy these I want the custom versions. Yet, I really like the efficiency and impedance of the universals for an MP3 player, I'm just hoping you will provide matching or similar specs for the universal.

Edit: I figured out a more simple question. Will the customs 3s be a seperate design or merely the 3s with custom tips. And if not will there be much of a difference at all between the two? Am I better of pre-ordering the 3s and getting customs than buying the full-on custom set? Oh and on that note. Do you have any audiologists in Montreal, QC, Canada. I tried to search audiologists on your website, but there wasnt an option for Canada.

I have not heard on pricing, but yes I would think they will be in the $700+ range.

The 3 does not require an amp. I've used them both ways, yes a amp does increase the quality of sound, I'm not going to lie about that. In my listening I have not heard the his that one hears with the ES2's run direct out of an iPod.

The specs will be the same between the universal and custom fit. So if you want something with the best fit and comfort and greater clarity, I would hold off for the full custom set and not the 3's with a set of UM56 custom tips.

PM me and I'll check the system at the office to see who we have in your area.

Feb 18, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #388 of 2,524
Quote:

I have not heard on pricing, but yes I would think they will be in the $700+ range.

The 3 does not require an amp. I've used them both ways, yes a amp does increase the quality of sound, I'm not going to lie about that. In my listening I have not heard the his that one hears with the ES2's run direct out of an iPod.

The specs will be the same between the universal and custom fit. So if you want something with the best fit and comfort and greater clarity, I would hold off for the full custom set and not the 3's with a set of UM56 custom tips.

PM me and I'll check the system at the office to see who we have in your area.

Hmmm.... is $400 worth extra clarity and comfort with no resale value. eee....
eek.gif

well... atleast I wont have to worry about the tips coming off.
icon10.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #389 of 2,524
The Search engine tool on the westone web site does not work very well. When I had my customs done I went there myself to no avail. I quick look in the yellow pages found several audiologists in the area all where familiar with Westone. I would be willing to bet that same would be true for you.

I would also suggest waiting for the Customs. You really can’t beat the clarity that customs bring and the nice perfect fit and isolation. I have very small ear canals myself and always had problems with fitting with universals.

I thought of getting the UM56 but I really came down to if I was going to take the time and get ear impressions done I might as well go for the best I could get.

Keith Ashwood
American Techpushers

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #390 of 2,524
The thing that worries me about customs is the stories one hears/reads about, such as:

1) Not getting the right fit the first (or second, or third) time around. I'd get real frustrated sending that thing back and forth for resizing/reshaping.

2) That perhaps your ear canal size/shape change over time. If I drop $700+ on IEMs, yes I know you can't expect a lifetime out of them, but I'd think 7-10 years is about right.

3) Some have expressed discomfort with them. And since they're custom, there's basically no return for refund policy, is there?

4) Durability of them, and cost of repair down the line. For universals, lose a tip, get new tip for $5-$10. For custom IEM, anything goes wrong, it's back to the factory.

5) The aforementioned no re-sale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back