Westone 3 long term durability?
Oct 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nxmehta

New Head-Fier
I own a pair of Shure e500's and they are literally falling apart.  The cables are cracking in about 12 different places.  So I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs.

I've tried the IE8's and the SE535s but didn't like them that much... I'm thinking about trying the Westone 3's as they seem to fit my sound preferences.  I HATE the clinical sound of a lot of high end IEMs.

Although my e500's lasted almost 5 years, they cost a fortune and I do NOT want to drop $500 on a pair of IEMs and have them collapse after 5 years.  I want them to go for at least 10.

Can anyone comment on the long term durability of the Westone 3's?  Anyone have any cable cracking problems?  Unraveling?  Even though they do not have detachable cables, do you think they could last a decade?  How much does it cost to get them repaired?  Shure charging $200+ did not make me very happy...

Thanks for any input!

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Just so you know, typical balanced armature has an estimated operational lifespan of around 7 years.

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 7
I think 10 years is pushing it but it could happen as some people have had ER4 for a very long time.

That being said the cable on the W3 is different than the e500. The cable is braided but also very thin and although it may seem fragile it is one of the best cables with good comfort. It is also soft, very flexible and has no microphonics.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 7
The day my er4's die will be a very sad day indeed... I may have a funeral for them. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 7
My W3s are going on to 2 years as well. So far no problems except some slight cable unravelling. Other than I'd say the cables/strain reliefs are pretty good. I've accidentally yanked mine a few times and they weren't damaged whatsoever.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 7
I have a problem after long use of westone w3 because their twisted cable was separted to gether ,  I is still functionable
but I may think of replacing the cable and ends in 4 pin min xlR so I can use it with the protector, any one can help me
about what type of cable should I use to synergistic to the protecter, westone w3 and I listen most of the time are: classical,
vocal audiophile, some symphony metal and symphonic rock and other pops as well.
thanks and please comment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back