Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #1,457 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have not heard the JVC's but have had both W3 and UM3X. W3 has MUCH more bass than UM3X. Too much for my tastes.

...unless you have UM56 custom tips...

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #1,459 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HPA, have you tried the W3's with your Pico & EF2 combo? I'm seriously considering the W3 but am curious about the synergy with my rig.

Yes, the W3 sound good with the EF2, and the Pico DAC adds some extra detail that the W3 can enjoy.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,462 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's Westone when it comes to warranty? Would they still honor repairs even if you don't have a receipt???

I'm considering trading my IE8 for a pair of W3 (which were purchased on ebay or something by the previous owner), and am slightly worried about the cabling not being durable enough and easily replaceable like they are on my IE8.......

Westone has ALWAYS had INCREDIBLE customer service in my opinion. It never hurts to ask, I have always found them to be accomodating.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,463 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone has ALWAYS had INCREDIBLE customer service in my opinion. It never hurts to ask, I have always found them to be accomodating.

+1

I've also found them to be very accommodating... and they're nice people, to boot.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,464 of 2,224
There is some information in one of the threads that Westone will not, by policy, honor a warranty transfer (for a sold pair). They have made exceptions, but on balance, they do not like to do it. And will not commit to it until you have a problem. Just repeating what was posted, but I can't remember where.

But, their cables are plenty durable. The best cables I have owned, even though they are not replaceable.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #1,466 of 2,224
Hey guys, i currently have the IE8, but after reading up on the Westone3 , i'm quite interested.

Overall these 2 phones seem to be similar: bass oriented. However, i find IE8 to have relatively recessed mids, i'm wondering what the mids are like on Westone3? I like really forward mids btw.

Do you guys think Westone3 is worth getting if i already own IE8? Thanks!

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #1,467 of 2,224
I had them both once upon a time, but upon repeated A/B listening, I ended up selling the IE8s. They just didn't have the sparkle and wow factor of the W3s. Just know that the W3s are very tip dependent. THe only universal tips that worked for me were the modded tri-flanges, period. But that was me.

Now, I have the UM3X (sold the W3s as well), and favor them over both W3s and IE8s.

As for mids, I never felt the IE8 mids were recessed, nor the W3s. I also didn't care for the IE8 fit.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #1,468 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like really forward mids btw.

Shure SE530

...seriously.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #1,469 of 2,224
get the um3x if forward mids is what you're looking for.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,470 of 2,224
I have the Ck100, which is brilliant, but I'm looking for an IEM which is sorta a cross breed between IE8 and CK100. I also like the enthusiastic atmosphere IE8 creates when listening to rock, and how immersive it is.

In summary, i want a relatively clean sound, forward mids, more prominent bass than CK100, decent treble, and a big soundstage. Does such thing even exist?? Or does UM3X fulfil my needs? Thanks :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back