Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,471 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get the um3x if forward mids is what you're looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM3X does not have forward mids like SE530.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #1,472 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwang411 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, i currently have the IE8, but after reading up on the Westone3 , i'm quite interested.

Overall these 2 phones seem to be similar: bass oriented. However, i find IE8 to have relatively recessed mids, i'm wondering what the mids are like on Westone3? I like really forward mids btw.

Do you guys think Westone3 is worth getting if i already own IE8? Thanks!

I don't quite think the IE8 mids are recessed but if you have a predilection for forward mids I'd say skip the W3 altogether and get the UM3X. Its soundstage leaves a bit more to be desired IMO although some folks have alluded that this is source dependent.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #1,473 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

W3 = recessed mids.

UM3X = balanced mids.

SE530 = forward mids (too much perhaps for some. It's one reason the treble distant and rolled off).

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #1,474 of 2,224
Right, and that's why I said the SE530. It has really forward mids, which is what kwang wants. I've never heard the UM3X, but I do know that the SE530 has very forward mids, and to my ears, it's a good thing.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #1,475 of 2,224
Anyone else's corde on the 3's starting to come unwinded? Mine is in several spots and it wont go back.
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #1,476 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else's corde on the 3's starting to come unwinded? Mine is in several spots and it wont go back.
frown.gif

Email Kyle: music @ westone.com He'll get you taken care of.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #1,477 of 2,224
I have used Ipods for a long time, and I have had several good IEMs--Etymotics 4 and 6, Shure, etc. But I am not a gearhead. I just want to hear the music.

I decided, however, to push the quality up. I got some Westone 3s and was planning to buy one of the better portable amps--RS, Pico--but the 3s sound so good, I am not sure what an amp could do. I have all of the volume I need, never using more than 3/4s of max. How much difference is there between the headphone out and the line out in sound quality? Will the amp do anything but add this or that color to the music? Is the output from line out enough that I could hook the 3s directly to it, and use the 3s volume control?

I have a 80gb classic Ipod. and may buy a bigger one so I can carry more of my music collection.

Thanks

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #1,478 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite think the IE8 mids are recessed but if you have a predilection for forward mids I'd say skip the W3 altogether and get the UM3X. Its soundstage leaves a bit more to be desired IMO although some folks have alluded that this is source dependent.

Indeed it is source dependent. Sounded pretty bad on the govibe magnum (DAC mode) and the nuforce icon mobile. The former is in the US$200 range. Is alright on the Cowon D2+. Its also incredibly song dependent which is not always a bad thing. Some songs you want intimate and close to snuggle up with
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,480 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which has more bass ie8 or westone 3 and , how long do w3 take to burn in?
which has more bass monster turbine or w3?

Bass = IE8 > W3 > Monster

Burn-in = W3 24 hour < IE8 450 hour

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,481 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass = IE8 > W3 > Monster

Burn-in = W3 24 hour < IE8 450 hour

I get less bass from my IE8 than the W3 by giving them a shallow insertion. The bass on the IE8 is very dependent on insertion depth.There are certain tips that also pronounce the IE8 bass like the sony EXP10A tips so I won't doubt that the W3 bass is very much tip dependent as well.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #1,482 of 2,224
Just to add to that, I find the Turbines much heavier on the bass/mid-bass than my IE8s (with the W3s coming in a close third).

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #1,483 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add to that, I find the Turbines much heavier on the bass/mid-bass than my IE8s (with the W3s coming in a close third).

The Monsters at CanJam didn't have that much bass. Don't know why. Could be the fit or their source/amp.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #1,485 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone tried reshelling their w3s?
since reshelling has become affordable
kinda tempting to send them in
L3000.gif

I bet it would be awesome, i thought about doing it but splurged for the UM mage instead. Contact Sam at UM he will get you a quote with color options etc. their work is unsurpassed.
kabang567@hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back