Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #721 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions. That rounded affect you mentioned reminds me of how I felt about the PS-1. It helped on badly recorded music, but it did add a colored element to it.

I think I might just have to buy a pair of etys. I like the Shure E500 and the slight improvement without giving me the Ety highs may not be worth it. I'm sure I will go back and forth for awhile. I want 1 IEM (not spending over $1000 though) that does everything well, but it seems the Ety's still own the extended high frequencies which are really needed for voilins to sound strong.

I know what you mean. I miss the high's of the Etys but the Westone 3's are forgivable. They make everything else pleasant to listen to.
beerchug.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #723 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean. I miss the high's of the Etys but the Westone 3's are forgivable. They make everything else pleasant to listen to.
beerchug.gif

I swear, the issue you are having with the highs must partly be the long P-series Complys tips. I believe that your opinion will change with a proper set of tips. With my UM-56 tips I am listening to Arvo Part: Tabula Rasa, and the violins are very good, and much better than with the Complys tips.

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #724 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swear, the issue you are having with the highs must partly be the long P-series Complys tips. I believe that your opinion will change with a proper set of tips. With my UM-56 tips I am listening to Arvo Part: Tabula Rasa, and the violins are very good, and much better than with the Complys tips.

But that would lose the whole point of comparing Etys with Comply Tips which already reproduces a very accurate reproduction of an acoustic guitar. And I can only use Comply Tips. Other tips are painful to my ear. My only upgrade would be custom tips which I don't see happening in the near future.
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #725 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by wwyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok folks, just received my Westone 3 today!! A very quick listen to my current fav track (Coldplay 'Viva La Vida', apple lossless) and within minutes, i can easily conclude that i prefer Westone 3 over Sennheiser IE 8.

I suck at writing reviews but i fully concur with Headphone Addict on his observations of the W3:

1) As Headphone Addict pointed out, "The W3 bass has great texture, and is very detailed and quick." While i felt that the drums in 'Viva la Vida' exhibit slightly more bass with the IE8, 'Refined' is another word i would use to describe W3's bass.

2) "The midrange is tonally rich, and a little forward rather than recessed, and therefore more engaging". Couldn't agree more, especially on the 'richness' and 'more engaging' qualities! The violin in the beginning of the track has more 'body' and together with the piano arrangements just sounds more musical than IE8.

3) "The highs are smooth and detailed, and crisp with a nice sparkle" Concur! Chris Martin's vocals vocals just seem to sound clearer!

While the Sennheiser IE8 are very very good earphones (to me, quite a step up when compared to Klipsch Image X10), I'm definitely keeping my W3 and putting up my IE8 for sale.

Oh another thing, also loved the comfort of the W3 over IE8. The curvy shape nudges well with my ears and single flange medium silicon tips provide the best isolation / comfort.

Just my humble observations
biggrin.gif

hi, may i ask how much burn in did your ie8 have when doing this comparison?

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #726 of 2,224
I've been rolling tips quite a bit today and I think I finally found the perfect match in the Shure black foamies (olive foamies or whatever...). I had trouble fitting these at first because they don't go very far in my ears compared to the way they do on my Etys due to the different design of the W3. I have to press on the W3 body for a couple of seconds until they expand in my ears and then I get a perfect seal. The sound is a lot more open and airy than with the Complys and the midrange is more focused with less bass bloat. Also, it's like a veil disappeared on the highs and I finally get excellent extension.

My advice: play a lot with the tips before jumping to any conclusions and it's not only because you have a good seal that the sound is optimal. The different materials also play a big part.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #727 of 2,224
I just got the W3!!

Stupid mail man never rang the bell. Apparently he came at 12pm, and I just checked my mail to find that he left a notice. I then called my nearest postal office and it was in! I ran to the post office which was 1 minute behind my house and got them
atsmile.gif

First thing I did was take off those clear tips they came in, and put on the olives right away.

Does anyone's cable have paint worn off? Some parts of my cable in the Y segment are shown in some grey colors...

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #728 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone's cable have paint worn off? Some parts of my cable in the Y segment are shown in some grey colors...

I have the gray patches on my cable. I'm pretty sure it's by design.

-Pony

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #729 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by windrider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi, may i ask how much burn in did your ie8 have when doing this comparison?

Over 200 hrs! It wouldn't be a fair comparison with the W3 as the IE8 needs to be properly burnt in......

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #730 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Pony

Ah ok just checking. It was like that for my UM1 now that you mention it but less apparent. Some kinda funky design
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #732 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably will still pay customs. My guess would be about £18 (or the equivalent in dollars)

FedEx don't ask you to pay the charges when they deliver - they send you an invoice about a week after delivery. I think you'll be asked to pay the customs charges on the price of the earphones and delivery as well as a handling fee for dealing with it - in the UK the handling fee was about £6.

Fedex sometimes pay duties to customs before they deliver the package to you. They then bill you when you get the package. (This is with a receipt).

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #733 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Pony

It's actually a white dash. This is on there from the company that produces the cable for us. It's so their automated machines can do quicker measurements. We've brought it up to them.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #734 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's actually a white dash. This is on there from the company that produces the cable for us. It's so their automated machines can do quicker measurements. We've brought it up to them.

Uh oh, white stuff.
devil_face.gif

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #735 of 2,224
Are these really that much better than the TF10s?

I would like to hear that they are as good even. I am with you on the size of the triples and although they don't bother me too bad for the small periods I wear them...I would love to get the sound of the triples with some actual comfort that is flush like the westones.
I orderd the westone 3 saturday so should know soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back