Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #691 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shall not pay any customs ...

You probably will still pay customs. My guess would be about £18 (or the equivalent in dollars)

FedEx don't ask you to pay the charges when they deliver - they send you an invoice about a week after delivery. I think you'll be asked to pay the customs charges on the price of the earphones and delivery as well as a handling fee for dealing with it - in the UK the handling fee was about £6.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #692 of 2,224
The UK import rules are a bit strange. If the value of the goods (i.e. not including delivery charges) comes to less than £18 then you don't have to pay any VAT. However, if the value of the goods is over £18 then you have to pay VAT not only on the goods but also on the delivery charge. The threshold is higher (£36) for gifts, but this only applies to goods sent between private individuals. Also HMRC only update their exchange rates annually, so the rate they use can be vastly different from the actual current rate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FedEx don't ask you to pay the charges when they deliver - they send you an invoice about a week after delivery. I think you'll be asked to pay the customs charges as well as a handling fee for dealing with it - in the UK the handling fee was about £6.

£6 is not too bad... last time I got hit for import tax, Royal Mail ripped me off for £13.50
mad.gif

Quote:

It's still a lot less then you would have had to pay though.

Well, PJBOX are charging £265 which at current exchange rates is less than the US price. Unfortunately the stocking date has slipped to 15 December so I'm now wishing I'd just ordered from Earphone Solutions.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #693 of 2,224
wow your customs charges suck. here in oz we dont get charged anything for a gift no matter what the value. and you can buy something up to the value of $1000aud and declare the full amount for insurance and not pay a cent
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #697 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who ordered from Marcopolo.ca, I just received my pair so you should get yours pretty soon.
cool.gif

Mine is out of delivery in Montreal. I will get it at home tonight... Can't wait! Did you paid in USD or CAD?

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #698 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ioXt_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is out of delivery in Montreal. I will get it at home tonight... Can't wait! Did you paid in USD or CAD?

I had some USD funds in my PayPal account so I paid with that. They shipped with Xpresspost for no extra charge, that's pretty cool from them.
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #699 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So PJBOX get their stock via ES and not direct from Westone? I was not aware of that!

So how come it "slipped"? I'm actually pretty ticked off. I didn't mind waiting an extra week after the US launch, but now it's more like three weeks. If I'd have known, I'd have just got a friend in the US to get them for me and forward them on. In fact it might still be worth doing that - if your 5 Dec shipment is not already allocated.

Hi Jim,

I never said that and I'm not sure how you would draw that conclusion from my post. I edited the post because I found myself offering you our services and that is against the forum policy. Hence the "slipped" part.

Earphone Solutions does not sell to resellers.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #700 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never said that and I'm not sure how you would draw that conclusion from my post. I edited the post because I found myself offering you our services and that is against the forum policy. Hence the "slipped" part.

Earphone Solutions does not sell to resellers.

Hi Flavio, all I saw was your comment saying "Sorry... It slipped" so I wrongly inferred that you were taking responsibility for the delivery date slipping back. Maybe you can send me the deleted text in a PM
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #701 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I've had my UM2's for several years now and overall they're great but I have found the treble to sound harsh and sibilant with some music. Some of it might be due to poor original source and but it is something I've read from others in the past.

Can any lucky new W3 owners who have come from UM2's comment on this aspect ? Have you detected any ssssssibilance with vocals or harshness in the treble ?

1. Did you use UM2 with comply? No sibilance that way. =)

2. You get absolutely astounding cut-through on S's using Westone 3 with soft-flex dark gray silicon tips. I don't get such issues with Comply so far (heey again!).

There is no harshness to speak of so far.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #702 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Did you use UM2 with comply? No sibilance that way. =)

2. You get absolutely astounding cut-through on S's using Westone 3 with soft-flex dark gray silicon tips. I don't get such issues with Comply so far (heey again!).

There is no harshness to speak of so far.

Thanks for the reassurance. I find the comply causes a bit too much treble roll off for my liking with the UM2 so I used modified tri-flanges. I must admit I think these do contribute to the problem.

Sounds like I'll be putting in a pre-order myself reading the unanimous praise here
icon10.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #704 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the transparent tips and the soft-flex dark gray silicon tips?

Transparent - vinyl material

Gray - Silicone material

They also have a slight difference in shape to accommodate different ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back