Westone 3 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #211 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you just answered the reason why we do not post stuff. :)

We have ZERO desire for the response curve to be flat, do you have any idea the level of crap that sounds like? Trust me I do, I've had some earphones made that were almost considered dead they were so flat lined. The music was distorted, colored in putrid ways and not enjoyable at all. A true "flat" response to the human ear, not the human eye would have a bump anywhere from 1.5-5k, most likely in the 3-5k range. This would be to compensate for what is called "insertion loss", this is what happens when you put something in your ear. So for anything to have a flat line (according to our eyes) it's not what the ear needs to product that sound.

Also a freq curve for you can be totally different than it is for me. For example, we both go in for a hearing test. Let's say you have a 5db drop in the 250k range and I do not. This can make the pluck of a bass string sound totally different to both of us, even though we are using the same source, cable, amp and earphone. Also, a graph can and most likely would skew your opinion towards any source before you had time to hear it and learn it.
The comparison should be based on the sound, not a silly line drawn on a piece of paper.

Ok, I'll stop my soap box now. :)

Very interesting insight there, thankyou! Does ''insertion loss'' just apply to IEM's and canalphones then (I assume this doesn't come into practice/have to have the technology adapted around in full-sized cans and earphones/buds)?

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #212 of 2,224
Is this model significantly different than the prototypes people heard in the past? Ray Samuels's review had me salivating from the get go. I'm just wondering if I should shelve any past expectations based on what people listened to before the final model.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #213 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh...well he said that he was offering free xpresspost shipping because I paid via EMT. Maybe that's why because EMT has less fees...

That's funny because I also paid via EMT
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #214 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PowerHound: who is the best retailer/reseller in Australia to purchase the Westone 3's off?

Send me a PM with your email and I'll track someone down for you next week when I am back in the office.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #215 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this model significantly different than the prototypes people heard in the past? Ray Samuels's review had me salivating from the get go. I'm just wondering if I should shelve any past expectations based on what people listened to before the final model.

Same thing. The casing changed a little in the way it is assembled, but not the SQ.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #217 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting insight there, thankyou! Does ''insertion loss'' just apply to IEM's and canalphones then (I assume this doesn't come into practice/have to have the technology adapted around in full-sized cans and earphones/buds)?

You might be interested in reading an older, but similar topic we have a while ago.
regular_smile .gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #219 of 2,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might be interested in reading an older, but similar topic we have a while ago.
regular_smile .gif

Thanks for the recommendation ClieOS. Had a quick glance over it but I'm bit too jaded to process and take it in at the moment; been a long day and I'm stupidly pushing myself through the tiredness barrier to catch the Hatton-Malinaggi fight (3:30-4:00 am start in UK)! I have saved both, the thread you've directed me to, and, the subsequent web address of the article you provide a link for on the said topic in that thread, so I'll have a good read and digest of that when I'm somewhat sharper
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #220 of 2,224
"We do not release our freq curves. It's like a special sauce." ..p0wderh0und23

p0wderh0und23: Thanks for the response - appreciate both the secret sauce aspect, and your reference to the complex interplay of FRC, in-ear acoustic coupling, and variable human response to Frequency Response Curve. Both arguments make sense. (What I don't understand, is the reason for provocative comments directed at you, on this or any other issue.)

Looking forward to my own "extended self-test" [purchasing] after the 28th. Sounds like you guys have a real winner with the "3's". Congrats, and thanks for your support / participation here.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #221 of 2,224
With a big launch like the Westone 3, you would probably see individual FRC test to surface on the web in a few months of time.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #223 of 2,224
Heh, fool me once shame on you, fool me 27 times......Is this really going to happen? Do I get a discount for waiting faithfully all these years, passing up custom after custom and sticking to my 3 year old UM2's? Here's hoping our patience will be rewarded!!!!! This and a Mustang P-51 should really rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back