Westone 3, disassembled.
Mar 9, 2009 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Thanks to the guys over at ZePhone Beijing (北京泽丰)for allowing me to repost these images here. They were trying to recable a W3 so they took some photo and posted them at erji.net. I didin't link all of the photos but those that are more interesting. You can check out the rest on the original thread here if you like.

Here is the whole nine yards.
W3-1.jpg

Close up.
W3-2.jpg

The crossover circuit.
W3-3.jpg

The smaller transducer unit on top has dual receivers, presumably one for mid and one for treble. The big transducer underneath should be the bass drive.
W3-4.jpg

Happy?
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 49
Wow, they really neatly packed those armatures and board into there.

It's entirely possible to make them into customs, but you'd need to have access to the proper equipment. Have impressions made. Be able to make and pour a mold. Ironically, I have a lot of equipment where I could make my own, including a UV light that can instantly cure resins, but the amount of work required is just so much, I'd rather pay to have it done.

-Ed

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 49
Or, you could crack open a Livewires custom IEM and stuff the SE530 drivers into it like mine in the foreground of the first photo, or right side of the second photo. The guys that did mine for me wont do anymore, sorry. I believe the W3 drivers would sound even better.

livewires_freq.jpg

livewires_clear.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuerakuten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Westone Um2 cables are better in various ways.

I agree. It feels slightly heavier and a little more rigid making it less susceptible to tangling.

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm only 2 nozzles? shouldnt it be 3 since they have separated drivers unlike the shures which have 2-1 (which should have 2 nozzles).

Because the smaller unit in the picture has two receivers (as in two balanced armature transducers) inside the same housing, so they share the same nozzle. How many nozzle is not important - the important part of how many ways the frequency has been split. Note that, the two receivers on the smaller unit are wired differently to the crossover circuit.

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm only 2 nozzles? shouldnt it be 3 since they have separated drivers unlike the shures which have 2-1 (which should have 2 nozzles).

Do you have six ear holes?
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 49
So, is that officially the smallest crossover board in existence? Thanks for posting pics OP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back