Westone 3, disassembled.
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #17 of 49
Oh yeah, it's a 3 way crossover and the UE11 is a 2 way right. Maybe that's why.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #18 of 49
UE11 is 3 ways as well. Than again, you don't need crossover if you utilized frequency specified transducer.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE11 is 3 ways as well. Than again, you don't need crossover if you utilized frequency specified transducer.

You mean each transducer filters the frequency by itself?

If not, crossovers should be used. You don't want the bass driver trying to reproduce high frequency sound, which it can't do effectively anyway.

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 49
Very nice pics
smily_headphones1.gif
I wonder how's the SQ of the recabled product
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean each transducer filters the frequency by itself?

Yes, something like that (no referring to UE11 here, but more general). I read from an old blog entry on Klipsch website a while ago, saying that they did some special (mechanical) tuning to one of the BA drive inside one of their 'custom' series so even though two of the same transducer are used, one of them actually has more bass than the other, like a bass drive.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, something like that (no referring to UE11 here, but more general). I read from an old blog entry on Klipsch website a while ago, saying that they did some special (mechanical) tuning to one of the BA drive inside one of their 'custom' series so even though two of the same transducer are used, one of them actually has more bass than the other, like a bass drive.

seems like more work than an actual crossover. you would think a crossover would be easier to play with different tunings than having to actually mechanically change something each time you wanted to edge the HF or LF.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #24 of 49
Let's think about how we'd do this, if we could do it in a perfect world. We'd have one driver for high frequencies (say 20K-2K), another driver for midrange (2K-500), and one driver for low frequencies (500-20). I'm just making these numbers up for the sake of an explanation. Now, there is no way we could create a driver that is going to have a perfect cut off at the 2K mark, or the 500Hz Mark- they're going to bleed a bit into the spectrum of the other drivers. That's where the cross overs come in- they help make the drop off in frequencies occur more quickly than they would alone.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is that officially the smallest crossover board in existence? Thanks for posting pics OP

maybe... anyone open up a q-jays yet?

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the q-Jays don't have a crossover, they look like they're using a dual armature in one housing (according to the schematics drawing in the manual). I asked Jays about the technology inside but they told me it's a secret.
smily_headphones1.gif

ah.. okay
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #28 of 49
Guys you are not gonna believe this but, this pair of W3 is mine.I sold it to this zephone company,which had successfully design cable to mod TF10,se530 and many other types, to helped them develop new upgrade cable.At that day I just watched the boss expertly disassembled and took photos.Now their upgrade cables are available on Head-fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back