Westone 3 cable ... too delicate?
May 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #46 of 55
Hmm seems my Y splitter is getting more and more tempramental, lots of sounds dropouts, fixed by a wiggle or a squeeze of the plastic button of the Y splitter. I guess a return may be needed this time. *sigh* - No W3's for a few days makes me sad
frown.gif

(Grr, intermittant faults are SUCH a pain. I'd rather have an outright failure.)

May 26, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 55
That's pretty much exactly what happened with mine until it totally failed and I sent it in for replacement.

-Ed

May 27, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #48 of 55
Those UE custom made IEMs and Westone IEMs got pretty much the same cables and I literally pay more attention to those tiny cord just avoid they get cracked while I'm on traveling.

May 27, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #49 of 55
I am surprised. What do you guys do with your IEM's? the cable is pretty good but I dont sit on them, don't drop them, don't play soccer with them...you get my drift! I actually think the cable is pretty strong.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 55
gilency, I'd done nothing but baby my 3s (always kept them in the case when not in almost daily use), I got one of the very earliest pairs, so it's possible a few pairs not up to westones usual standard may have slipped through at the beginning of the run.

I do however wish to say a HUGE thank you to everyone at Westone for being so quick and efficient about warranty replacement! I shipped mine off to Westone Monday Lunchtime, Priority Mail, and got a new pair at lunchtime today! 3 Day warranty replacement.! How's that for service. Good Job guys!

(and these have a different case - rigid with the coolest carabiner as opposed to the soft case previously supplied - and the cable is a little different - softer feel?)

Now I'm off to burn these babies in
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #51 of 55
Darn, i just had my first intermittent failure for my um3x. The left channel cuts out when I bend the cord at the Y.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #52 of 55
i used my UM1 very long like about 2 years nearl every day on work and at running and i never had any problems til the noozle broke because of my own stupidity... now i own the um3x and the w3 and til now i have no problem except the one that the thing (how is it called?) that you can use to fix the cables togehter under your chin will not hold steady dont know why mnaybe it is because of the very clean cable?

May 27, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #53 of 55
I have always worn all of my earphones since the days of transistor radios up the back.  I don’t think over the ears had been invented yet.  When I pull them out of my ear as a courtesy when talking to people, I can see them, and I know where they are hanging forward over my shoulders.

When I first was getting use to my UM3x’s, by mistake after they went over the ear, like is proper (a word I absolutely hate “proper.”) after putting them over my ears, the cords hung down naturally in front under my beard, like shortened stampede strings on the Lone Rangers Stetson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It will only rub on your chin if you are wearing them incorrectly. The wire is designed to go around the ear. Otherwise the fit is not as good and the seal will be compromised.

Over and around, is much better for me.  It does not seem to effect the sound in any way that I can hear.  The plugs stay in, sounds great.  How/why did they design this to effect the seal or the fit, when worn over the ear and under the chin?

Hi-Fi has a poll running to see how we wear earphones...
Quote:
Poll: How do you wear yours?

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #55 of 55
+1, except with a UM3X with non-removable cable. Sound cut in and out (mostly partial sound loss, not complete), wiggling in/around area of Y split would fix. Happens intermittently, not regularly. Owned for 11 months, will be sending in to Westone for repair this weekend.

I use this every day for 30 minutes to an hour, but I baby it. $400 is a big investment for me and I never abuse it. Keep it in its case when not in use. Never dropped/tugged/etc.

Wonder if I should include a note asking if they replace instead of repair, if I can get a removable cable version in case this becomes a problem in the future.

Quote:
Hmm seems my Y splitter is getting more and more tempramental, lots of sounds dropouts, fixed by a wiggle or a squeeze of the plastic button of the Y splitter. I guess a return may be needed this time. *sigh* - No W3's for a few days makes me sad
frown.gif

(Grr, intermittant faults are SUCH a pain. I'd rather have an outright failure.)

Quote:
That's pretty much exactly what happened with mine until it totally failed and I sent it in for replacement.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back