Westone 3 cable ... too delicate?
Feb 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #33 of 55
After about 2 months of constant use, my Westone 3 cables have become damaged.

Description of use:

I usually take a bus and then train to my work place, around a 45 minute commute and back each day. I wore the headphones through the back of my neck, running down through the side and then to a pocket where I keep my Iphone 3 G. There is always some tugging along the cable, because there is no clip to hold the cables from tugging the headphone from the back side.

Yesterday, after I was handling the Iphone, I noticed a muffled sound. It was almost as the singers were singing through a tunnel or something. I increased the volume and the same effect took place. Then, I though, perhaps the Iphone isn't giving enough juice, it was running just below 10% charge.

When I arrived home, I did notice that the sound had returned to normal. I was wondering what happened. When I unplugged it from the Iphone, I used my son's Nintendo DS to see whether the headphones had any problem, they worked fine.

The day after, I did my commute and it headphones sound great. In the end of the day, when I was returning home, the same weird tunnel sound effect happened again. Then, I began to wonder which part of the headphone might be the culprit, then, I also though that it could be the Iphone.... At home, I got another Ipod, a Nano version II to test the headphones. The same happened. Then, I unplugged the extension/volume cable of the Westone 3s, and plugged it directly to the Nano. The same sound returned. Then, I began to tug along the different sections of the Westone 3s wires, wherever I believed there were faulty connections. I noticed that when I pushed or bent the connections between the wire and sections where the plastic Y connected, the sound either came back fullrange or continued sound echoey with tunnel sound. My verdict was that although visually it was okay, there must be a faulty or defective connection in that section.

My other experiences with in the ear headphones were with Etymotic Research ER-4Ps, a pair which I have owned for approximately 5 years. In my years of ownership of the Etys, I had to send them to the factory twice, once because of a wear and tear of in the bendable cable wire close to a plug in base which exposed bare copper wire thus failure making any sound in one headphone driver, to which, Etymotic replaced the cable. The second time I sent the Etys to the factory was because of the plastic flanges cracked at the base, which the factory simply replaced the older ER-4Ps in red and blue, towards the new black version with new cable. All this was done free of charge and they did not even ask for a receipt. All I could say was that the warranty/customer service for Etymotic is outstanding. Their turn around times are also very quick, within 5 working days.

Now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Westone will also do a very quick turn around on the earphones and their fixing. My verdict in my Westone 3 ownership is that the cable is more delicate than it seems or perhaps that I got a defective cable that had an unusually short life span in the field.

Paul
frown.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #34 of 55
I think the strain relief areas are most important and Westone seems to do very well with these. But I also wish the cable were a little more robust. I have not had any problems with either UM2 or W3 but it does seem a little delicate. I prefer a little heavier.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemopti123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After about 2 months of constant use, my Westone 3 cables have become damaged.

Description of use:

I usually take a bus and then train to my work place, around a 45 minute commute and back each day. I wore the headphones through the back of my neck, running down through the side and then to a pocket where I keep my Iphone 3 G. There is always some tugging along the cable, because there is no clip to hold the cables from tugging the headphone from the back side.

Yesterday, after I was handling the Iphone, I noticed a muffled sound. It was almost as the singers were singing through a tunnel or something. I increased the volume and the same effect took place. Then, I though, perhaps the Iphone isn't giving enough juice, it was running just below 10% charge.

When I arrived home, I did notice that the sound had returned to normal. I was wondering what happened. When I unplugged it from the Iphone, I used my son's Nintendo DS to see whether the headphones had any problem, they worked fine.

The day after, I did my commute and it headphones sound great. In the end of the day, when I was returning home, the same weird tunnel sound effect happened again. Then, I began to wonder which part of the headphone might be the culprit, then, I also though that it could be the Iphone.... At home, I got another Ipod, a Nano version II to test the headphones. The same happened. Then, I unplugged the extension/volume cable of the Westone 3s, and plugged it directly to the Nano. The same sound returned. Then, I began to tug along the different sections of the Westone 3s wires, wherever I believed there were faulty connections. I noticed that when I pushed or bent the connections between the wire and sections where the plastic Y connected, the sound either came back fullrange or continued sound echoey with tunnel sound. My verdict was that although visually it was okay, there must be a faulty or defective connection in that section.

My other experiences with in the ear headphones were with Etymotic Research ER-4Ps, a pair which I have owned for approximately 5 years. In my years of ownership of the Etys, I had to send them to the factory twice, once because of a wear and tear of in the bendable cable wire close to a plug in base which exposed bare copper wire thus failure making any sound in one headphone driver, to which, Etymotic replaced the cable. The second time I sent the Etys to the factory was because of the plastic flanges cracked at the base, which the factory simply replaced the older ER-4Ps in red and blue, towards the new black version with new cable. All this was done free of charge and they did not even ask for a receipt. All I could say was that the warranty/customer service for Etymotic is outstanding. Their turn around times are also very quick, within 5 working days.

Now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Westone will also do a very quick turn around on the earphones and their fixing. My verdict in my Westone 3 ownership is that the cable is more delicate than it seems or perhaps that I got a defective cable that had an unusually short life span in the field.

Paul
frown.gif

I've had this happen a couple of times, and today I noticed that, the same as you, the issue seems to be in the Y splitter. Trouble is, it's really infrequent.. Hmm maybe happend 3 times in 3 months of everyday use. I've been scrupulously careful in using and storing these, always use the case, never twisted, folded or wound the cable round anything. I'm sending Westone an email to see if they can fix it. It's a shame, I love these headphones, and the thought of being without them for a few days.. eek.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #36 of 55
Not to be overtly critical of the Westone 3s, as anything that is made by man is always less than perfect, but at around almost 400 clams a set, I expected more durability or even freedom of defect from a pair of earphones, alas this has not come to be.

Even though what I have described might have happened to you seldomly, only 3 times in the last 3 months, I would call them and get a RA number in order for your set to be replaced or fixed to satisfaction.

I repeat, these are not cheap earphones in any sense of the word, and there is no reason why to keep them if they are not 100% in functionality 100% of the times, especially in a few months of its life.

I am glad that I still kept my Etymotic 4s for the time being, they might not be as weighty in terms of lows but, they are much much more reliable than the Westones ever hoped to be.
angry_face.gif

Paul

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

I am glad that I still kept my Etymotic 4s for the time being, they might not be as weighty in terms of lows but, they are much much more reliable than the Westones ever hoped to be.
angry_face.gif

Paul

You really think? The braided leads on the Etys going to the nozzles are even lighter weight than the Westones?

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really think? The braided leads on the Etys going to the nozzles are even lighter weight than the Westones?

But the Etymotics have had a decent record reliability wise...they have been at it for at least 4 years, and only after 4 years of really, I mean really hard wear did one part of the cable in the flexible section of the phone plug, showed visible damage, which lead to it being replaced.

The worst part of the Westone 3's damage has to do with the fact that it was nowhere visible, which makes me question the quality of either the material or the lack of decent QC at the factory. Etys made in the land of Lincoln and Obama, Westones, made in the land of Mao.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

But the Etymotics have had a decent record reliability wise...they have been at it for at least 4 years, and only after 4 years of really, I mean really hard wear did one part of the cable in the flexible section of the phone plug, showed visible damage, which lead to it being replaced.

The worst part of the Westone 3's damage has to do with the fact that it was nowhere visible, which makes me question the quality of either the material or the lack of decent QC at the factory. Etys made in the land of Lincoln and Obama, Westones, made in the land of Mao.

FYI.. the cable is made in PA, not in the "Land of Mao"...

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #41 of 55
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #44 of 55
I reported before even this month when my cable failed at the y-splitter, so likely I was one of, if not the first person to have a failure at the y-splitter, but now that I see the entries from others on this thread, it would appear I am not the only one to have this problem.

-Ed

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #45 of 55
well, if the westone cable is giving faults, honestly, the world of headphones is going down the tubes. westone's cable has always been a benchmark for quality for me after buying the um2. i am sure that there are problems - perhaps i was lucky even but it was amazing.

its second is the audio technica ck10 which is stronger but not as free of microphonics. westone: i hope this bit of hard news is isolated and that the general populace know what great products you create.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back