Westone 3 cable ... too delicate?
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, now i feel much better about it

thanks!

p.s.
can anybody confirm Jude's idea that the W3 has the same cable as the UM2?

Yep. It's the same.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The Y-split at that length (Westone 3's) are just too damn short. I hate it so much when it's rubbing me at the chin area or on my neck.

It will only rub on your chin if you are wearing them incorrectly. The wire is designed to go around the ear. Otherwise the fit is not as good and the seal will be compromised.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will only rub on your chin if you are wearing them incorrectly. The wire is designed to go around the ear. Otherwise the fit is not as good and the seal will be compromised.

Well it doesn't rub my chin. It rubs around the chin area. Meaning the area under the whole jaw. Which I find quite irritating but quite tolerable. For now.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Well it doesn't rub my chin. It rubs around the chin area. Meaning the area under the whole jaw. Which I find quite irritating but quite tolerable. For now.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Now I'm worried.... See, it doesn't sound like a big deal to some people, but for me personally I don't like anything touching my neck because in my mind it feels like something is trying to or could choke me. It's weird, but that's just how I am.

I'd probably have to wear the cable behind my head: Unfortunate.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

I had the same thing with my UM2s, but if you look at the instructions not only is the cable supposed to go over the ear, but it should then run down your back (rather than back to your front joining below the chin).

I had to go with this method as I just couldn't stand the UM2s rubbing my neck and to begin with I really disliked it. It feels really unnatural if you're used to wearing a cable down your front.

However, after a week or so I suddenly realised that I'd kind of forgotten all about it. Now, a couple of months later on, I prefer having the cable running down my back. It's more comfortable, doesn't get in the way of your arms if you're doing something with them, and more discreet.

I've got no intention of replacing my UM2s until I can afford some customs, but even if I did buy some alternative universals fit IEMs I still think I'd wear the cable down my back now.

Put simply, if you follow the Westone instructions on how to wear them you may feel a bit uncomfortable with it at first, but there's a good chance that you'll come to prefer it.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by digivate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to go with this method as I just couldn't stand the UM2s rubbing my neck and to begin with I really disliked it. It feels really unnatural if you're used to wearing a cable down your front.

Yeah, I'm just really used to my cable running down the front with the SE530's long Y-split. I'm sure I could get used to wearing the cable down the back, but it's still not going to be as nice/convenient because whenever I use my earphones, over half the time I have a backpack on. I'm just bitching, but it would've just been nice to have a longer Y-split for comfort reasons.

Also, I have another question about the cable. With the UM2 that I once had, on the phones where the cable actually enters, the flexible part that protects the last like half inch or so of the cable was actually twistable. Like, I was able to twist the internal cables by twisting it (it's hard to explain). Should I have been able to do this, or did I just have a pair that wasn't glued properly? Is the Westone 3 the same way?

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I have another question about the cable. With the UM2 that I once had, on the phones where the cable actually enters, the flexible part that protects the last like half inch or so of the cable was actually twistable. Like, I was able to twist the internal cables by twisting it (it's hard to explain). Should I have been able to do this, or did I just have a pair that wasn't glued properly? Is the Westone 3 the same way?

Um.. no. That was not a good thing and could lead to a short. The 3 is not like that either. There might be a little play in the connection, but a true "twisting" motion.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #23 of 55
hey powderhound if I wanted to get some custom tips for the westone 3's what is the turn around time estimated at? I already have impressions made by an approved westone audiologist

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey powderhound if I wanted to get some custom tips for the westone 3's what is the turn around time estimated at? I already have impressions made by an approved westone audiologist

3-5 business days once we get them in house.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #26 of 55
^I want to find that out too. Can I just get impressions done and mail them directly to westone?

Thanks

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^I want to find that out too. Can I just get impressions done and mail them directly to westone?

Thanks

always best to go through the Audiologist. We are not really setup for direct stuff like that. If you already have impressions done (earlier), we can usually take care of you.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #29 of 55
It's just that there isn't an approved westone audiologist in my town right now. So, I would have to maybe do the impressions in Toronto when I'm there for a couple of days.

Could I get them to do the impressions, send them off to Westone, and then get Westone to mail them to be directly?

thanks

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #30 of 55
i miss the westone cable from my um1. best cable ever is by westone. tough as heck and so convenient as it folds about like a string.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back