Westone 3 cable ... too delicate?
Dec 4, 2008 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
Just got my Westone 3's today and I was surprised at how delicate the braided cable is on these things. Is anybody else worried that it might be too fragile? I use my IEM's at the gym quite a bit so I don't want to have to worry about the cable ... any thoughts?

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 55
Delicate? Rly?

O.o

No, seriously, this cable looks rather sturdy to me. At least out of all the portable headphones I've seen.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 55
Ain't those the same cable as UM1 / UM2? If so, they are very sturdy, just 'look' fragile.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 55
It's the best cable I've ever seen. I've snagged my UM2 cable numerous times and it is fine.

With that said, I would never run or work out with my UM2. They are an investment that I wouldn't take chances with.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 55
I don't yet have the Westone 3, but I do have a UM2 that I've had since 2006, and I do not baby the UM2. I've slept with it on many occasions (it's one of the only headphones I can wear while sleeping, because of how flush the UM2 sits in the ear's concha). I've inadvertently tugged at its cables as much as I have any of my other earphones. I tend to store my UM2 by essentially rolling it up into a ball or wound into a coin-diameter coil.

I'm of the opinion that the cable is generally more durable than most, as it's supple enough to simply bend as needed, as opposed to kinking. Mine has also exhibited no memory, always unwinding virtually perfectly straight, no matter how tightly I've coiled it, balled it up, etc. I think this also ads to the durability.

From what I understand, Westone has used the same cable in the Westone 3, and, as in the Westone UM2, it's not removable, which I also find a positive. By routing the cable directly into the earpiece, there are fewer stress points, and no strain reliefs necessary (and its more compact, which is another reason the UM2 is the only earphone I have that I can comfortable wear with the side of my head on a pillow). In fact, if I could have opted for this very same cable to have been used on my UE-10 Pro and UE-11 (including the non-removable aspect), I'd have opted for it in a heartbeat.

I would guess that overwhelmingly most who've actually owned the UM2 for a while would agree that the cable is actually among the more durable used in any earphone; and if Westone used it again in the Westone 3, I think it's a great decision.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 55
wow, now i feel much better about it

thanks!

p.s.
can anybody confirm Jude's idea that the W3 has the same cable as the UM2?

Dec 4, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 55
don't worry about westone cable supposedly it is the best stock cable on the market
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #9 of 55
Is the length of the cables from the phones to the start of the Y-split any longer? For the little time I had the UM2, one of the things that bugged the hell out of me was the short Y-split that basically forced me to wear it behind my head which I don't like doing.

Dec 4, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the length of the cables from the phones to the start of the Y-split any longer? For the little time I had the UM2, one of the things that bugged the hell out of me was the short Y-split that basically forced me to wear it behind my head which I don't like doing.

the w3 y-split is longer than um1 and 2. not as long as a se530 but enough to not touch your chin
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't yet have the Westone 3, but I do have a UM2 that I've had since 2006, and I do not baby the UM2. I've slept with it on many occasions (it's one of the only headphones I can wear while sleeping, because of how flush the UM2 sits in the ear's concha). I've inadvertently tugged at its cables as much as I have any of my other earphones. I tend to store my UM2 by essentially rolling it up into a ball or wound into a coin-diameter coil.

I'm of the opinion that the cable is generally more durable than most, as it's supple enough to simply bend as needed, as opposed to kinking. Mine has also exhibited no memory, always unwinding virtually perfectly straight, no matter how tightly I've coiled it, balled it up, etc. I think this also ads to the durability.

From what I understand, Westone has used the same cable in the Westone 3, and, as in the Westone UM2, it's not removable, which I also find a positive. By routing the cable directly into the earpiece, there are fewer stress points, and no strain reliefs necessary (and its more compact, which is another reason the UM2 is the only earphone I have that I can comfortable wear with the side of my head on a pillow). In fact, if I could have opted for this very same cable to have been used on my UE-10 Pro and UE-11 (including the non-removable aspect), I'd have opted for it in a heartbeat.

I would guess that overwhelmingly most who've actually owned the UM2 for a while would agree that the cable is actually among the more durable used in any earphone; and if Westone used it again in the Westone 3, I think it's a great decision.

Thanks for posting Jude, even though I have a pair of 3's on order (tracking says item out for delivery
smily_headphones1.gif
), the non-removable cable was a source of concern for me. Probably more paranoia after falling victim to Shure's cable woes (which of course Shure dealt with promptly).

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. The Y-split at that length (Westone 3's) are just too damn short. I hate it so much when it's rubbing me at the chin area or on my neck.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by max111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the w3 y-split is longer than um1 and 2. not as long as a se530 but enough to not touch your chin
smily_headphones1.gif

GOOD TO HEAR. Thank you.... Do you have the specific length so I can shorten my SE530 to that and try it out?

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. The Y-split at that length (Westone 3's) are just too damn short. I hate it so much when it's rubbing me at the chin area or on my neck.

....NOT GOOD TO HEAR. Hahaha.... Damn.... 'Kay, well... I'll have to see.

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 55
I think I'm getting contradictory lengths. o_O But I do remember the split being a tad bit high, not enough to interfere though.

I loved the cable on my UM1. I would buy it again... but even the smallest tips puts a bit of pressure on my canals. Maybe I should try complies next time I venture into IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back