Westone-1 vs Westone UM1 vs Shure SE215
Jan 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Caliax

New Head-Fier
Out of all 3, which one has the warmest, most "fun" sound signature?  I'm going to be using this for casual listening for long periods of time so I think I'd prefer that sound signature.  

Also, all 3 are over the ear design so which one will be more comfortable for walking, running, and everyday, active use?  

Finally seeing as how these will be my only pair of IEMs I will have until they break/I feel the need to buy new ones which ones have the best durability?  

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 14
I never tried these shure and can only comment on westones
W1 and UM1 are quite similar, and they aren't very fun. Both have a huge roll-off on highs and lows, and i can honestly recommend them either for podcast\audiobook listening or for vocal and guitar music where mids matter the most
For active sports both are just great, extremely comfortable and durable. I use my W1 for jogging and gym and they are the best sport earphones i ever tried

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 14
I can only speak for the SE215. Loved them comfort, they have outstanding mids, and amazing build quality. I did find them to be a little weak in the separation area. I wouldnt call them warm, but pretty fun to listen to. I didnt own them long enough to have any issues with the cable and socket issues some have reported.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 14
I've heard all three and the SE215 has the most "fun" out of these three. 

I'd say the W1 is the most comfy as they are smaller. I also find the Westone cable to stay behind the ear much better than the SE215's memory cable, which tends to be too springy most of the time. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 14
I had the W1 it was very balanced, but had roll off at both ends.  W1 is pretty small, and had good fit and comfort

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Did you go for the SE215 in the end? That's the one I am focused on (similar needs as yours) and trying to figure out the WESTONE alternative... but seems as there's none in the price range... 

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 14
To me, the most fun-sounding one would be the SE215. I had it, and I tried the Westones, and to me, they were not fun at all because it didn't have enough bass. Maybe my basshead issue? But definitely the SE215 has more kick. :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I can only speak for the SE215. Loved them comfort, they have outstanding mids, and amazing build quality. I did find them to be a little weak in the separation area. I wouldnt call them warm, but pretty fun to listen to. I didnt own them long enough to have any issues with the cable and socket issues some have reported.

build quality? i must have been unlucky, the metal wire that is inside the cable, that sits over the ear broke on both sides about 4 months. The metal wire then decided it would be fun, to dig in, and demolish the actual wires inside the cable, and you could see it cutting holes into the inner and outer rubber casing. So i went to Ebay, and got a cheap 30$ furu tech cable, and the connector to the driver, on the inside of the rubber case, tore a little after a months use. So ive retired them, and am currently looking for new headphones to replace them

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 14
I never tried these shure and can only comment on westones
W1 and UM1 are quite similar, and they aren't very fun. Both have a huge roll-off on highs and lows, and i can honestly recommend them either for podcast\audiobook listening or for vocal and guitar music where mids matter the most
For active sports both are just great, extremely comfortable and durable. I use my W1 for jogging and gym and they are the best sport earphones i ever tried
Is is the cable detachable ?

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 14
I have been seeing reports of early batch SE215's cable connector breaking, but so far mine still works perfectly. And I can say for sure that it sounds fun, have detachable cables, and comes with Shure olives which in my opinion is the best foam tips around.

Oh, apparently the limited edition SE215 is even more fun & bassy from what I've heard.

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 14
I have been seeing reports of early batch SE215's cable connector breaking, but so far mine still works perfectly. And I can say for sure that it sounds fun, have detachable cables, and comes with Shure olives which in my opinion is the best foam tips around.

Oh, apparently the limited edition SE215 is even more fun & bassy from what I've heard.
Yes i am now stuck with buying either the standard Se215 or the limited edition one so which one offers more bass?

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 14

Yes i am now stuck with buying either the standard Se215 or the limited edition one so which one offers more bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back