Westone 1 Impressions and Review Thread
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #91 of 125
[size=x-small]Wow, this info couldn't have been more timely. I'm kinda like the if it ain't broke don't fix it type and while I love hi-end (I wish my wallet did), I'm not a tinkerer.

I've blown one of my Super.fi 5 Pro buds and was looking at the Westone 1 as a replacement. All this talk of "fun" sounding made me thing that was the kind of earphone I was looking for but Larry reminded me of the short comings of these earphones. I agree, the bass/treble are boosted with these but (for me), not just forsaking the mids. I listen to a lot of rock and fairly bass heavy dance music and again, Larry hit it on the head, I hear the bloomy bass and edgy highs which can be annoying. Most times I "try" not to hear it. I'm using these with (now don't get all crazy), a Sony MD MZ-R50. I have a much later MD model but the headphone amp in the MZ-R50 really made the Super.fi sound drastically different, better. They sound really ugly in the non-amped headphone MD, I can't even listen to them in it, yuk! I think the W1 will work better for me, unless anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks for this post![/size]

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #92 of 125
Well careful. I would assume Westone 1 would be a downgrade from Super Fi Pro. UM2 would be more in line with Super Fi Pro.

Someone feel free to correct me....

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #94 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well careful. I would assume Westone 1 would be a downgrade from Super Fi Pro. UM2 would be more in line with Super Fi Pro.

Someone feel free to correct me....

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesmi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek, thanks Spyro, would UM2's be a better bet?

W1 is more of a "side"-grade from a fun-phone to a more audiophile-phone, but where you have to accept slightly rolled off highs that are smoother and less edgy instead of boosted highs, and accept less bass impact for better tone and balance. You have to decide what you like more.

I think the UM2, X10 or SE530 will be an upgrade over the Super.fi with their own sacrifices to be had. Or, you can move up to the W3 or UM3X where you don't have to make sacrifices and have it all.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #96 of 125
Thanks Spyro, thanks Larry! If funds would allow, I'd go with the W3 or UM3X but the budget doesn't permit that now. I think I will like smoother and less edgy highs and a better tone and balance on the bass. I mean if punch was given in the production of the sound I'd rather hear an accurate representation of that than the distortion you get when you try and push it forward.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #97 of 125
I have another question. At the moment I am using a NuForce Icon Mobile connected to a 2G iPod Touch using a iBasso CB03 LOI. Would the Westone 1 benefit from being run by this amp at all?.

Thank You In Advance

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #98 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have another question. At the moment I am using a NuForce Icon Mobile connected to a 2G iPod Touch using a iBasso CB03 LOI. Would the Westone 1 benefit from being run by this amp at all?.

Thank You In Advance

I think so, yes.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #99 of 125
I just spent about two weeks with the Westone 1 and thought I'd share some observations. I had them side-by-side with the ER-6i and the Westone UM2. I'm listening to hip hop (Talib Kweli, Common), classical (Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto played by Janine Jansen), opera (Cecilia Bartoli's The Salieri Album), and jazz (Ellington/Mingus/Roach Money Jungle and Ellington/Coltrane).

I'll keep this short and sweet. The UM2 have noticeably more extension than the W1 on both ends of the frequency (f) spectrum (see Talib's Get By for the low f). The W1 sound compressed in a sense, especially on the large orchestral stuff, where the midrange and higher f stuff is somewhat colored, as compared to both the ER-6i and the UM2. The ER-6i sounds clearer to my ears, especially on violins, and especially in orchestras. The UM2 were more detailed than the W1 all the way around; I'm incredibly pleased with my upgrade from W1 to UM2. However the W1 are more comfortable to me, best I've ever experienced.

Source: 320 kbps AAC > iPod classic 120 GB > LOD > mini3 amp.

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #100 of 125
Man, Westone stuff is pricey. The UM2 is tempting, but you could get Triple.fis for that much. The only problem is questionable quality and the cables on the TF10s. Makes me wanna spring for W3s, and yet they're more expensive than any single piece of equipment I have or plan to have.

Decisions, decisions.

Shame though; it seems like the W1 would be a sidegrade from my SF3s. Not worth double the price (of what I paid). On the other hand, my SF3s are falling apart...

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #102 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curious...how would the W1's compare to a top tier IEM such as the UE 10? No contest?

The W1 are not as dynamic, with more rolled off lows and highs vs the TF10Pro. I still enjoy the W1 right out of a Nano though - nice phones to knock around with and not worry about losing them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #103 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by WithBadIntent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Westone 1 will be arriving at my local dealer in about 2 to 3 weeks and I hope to purchase a set. One question I have is about the ruggedness of the phones, as I commute a lot (walking or public transport) and I don't want to have to replace them every month or so.

So to all the Westone 1 owners, how have they held up with you?.

Definitely more durable than I expected when purchasing them. I have had mine for more than a year. I pretty much bring mine everywhere with me through campus with them on or hanging around my neck through rain and snow. Once i walked halfway through a paring lot with them dragging on the ground behind me, luckily nothing happened to them. The cables are still very flexible and do not show any signs of cracking or degrading (i regular wipe my cables with a damp cloth). I although switched the comply foam tips to biflanges as comply tips need to be replaced after a month or a few depending on use.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #104 of 125
I have had a beady eye on getting Westone 3's. How big is the difference between them and the 1's? W1's I can get now , W3's I'll need to save a little longer for. I listen to a wide variety of music, I like a fairly neutral with decent soundstage. I was also looking at the RE0's

Scott

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #105 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a beady eye on getting Westone 3's. How big is the difference between them and the 1's? W1's I can get now , W3's I'll need to save a little longer for. I listen to a wide variety of music, I like a fairly neutral with decent soundstage. I was also looking at the RE0's

Scott

The W3 are noticeably better than the W1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back