Westone 1 Impressions and Review Thread
Nov 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #106 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3 are noticeably better than the W1.

How is the soundstage on either of these, just curious.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #107 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the soundstage on either of these, just curious.

The soundstage on the W3 is bigger and deeper, while the W1 is a little more forward sounding. The is still good ambience and space in the W1, and the soundstage isn't small but it's not huge. I think with the jazz and classical that I listen to, that the imaging is decent and on par with other IEM of this level.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #108 of 125
Thanks HeadphoneAddict. I am very keen to get away from my Shure E3c. The cable has split in and one place, both W1 and W3 cable look like a godsend in comparison.

Scott

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #109 of 125
I almost bought these but for black friday/cyber monday I folded and got the Westone 2's instead. Can't wait to hear a real IEM.. great review as always headphone addict. anything on the W2?

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #110 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost bought these but for black friday/cyber monday I folded and got the Westone 2's instead. Can't wait to hear a real IEM.. great review as always headphone addict. anything on the W2?

The W2 that I listened to were not as rolled off at the ends as the W1, and they had a bigger soundstage than the W1. I would prefer the W2 if I could afford either one, even though they cost $100 more.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #111 of 125
I just got a pair as backups for my UM3X, noticeably less bass, and they need to be pushed up a few notches in order to draw out their full potential. There is some punch and it is very natural sounding indeed, no significant peaks or dips, just a good neutral pair of IEMs with some bass rolloff. It is still there, just doesn't hit anywhere close to the UM3X.

:) Brendan

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #113 of 125

Quote:
I am listening music on the apple's 4th gen ear phones, those who come on ipod touches, sufles... buying one westone 1, is going to make a huge diference? does it worth to buy?

I think the W1 is a definite upgrade over the stock ear buds.  

I was going to write that you might still want to consider a cheap amp to go with the W1, like a Fiio E5.  But then I decided to pull out the W1 and try them with my iPhone 4 and no amp, since I haven't listened to them in a long time.  After listening to a few songs I think the W1 sound pretty good directly out of the iPhone headphone jack without an amplifier.  I am using the triple flange tips with the stalk cut shorter, but other people might find different tips work better with their ears.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #115 of 125
Just got them in the mail today 
smile.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #117 of 125
The Westone 1s are possibly the most comfortable IEMs I have ever had, that coming from a guy who used to have, XB40EXs not the UM1s, I cannot speak for them. They were not was I was used to, but still did exceed my expectations overall. They had their own quirks on some of my lesser bitrate music yet nothing too off putting that I couldnt get used to and paired with Comply tips are very much isolating even at full volume people sitting right next to me cannot hear. So I would say that they are very comfortable and the UM1s seem rougher around the edges than these.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #118 of 125
Finally get to try out the W1 and UM1 today, they fit quite similarly.

Like the sound on the W1 better.

Will see if I get such luck to try out a pair of HF5, the last competitor. XD

I had read that they sounds bad even with 192 kbps files... and 1/2 of my library is lower than 192kbps...

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #119 of 125

Quote:
Finally get to try out the W1 and UM1 today, the fit is quite similar.

The UM1 sound quite bad to my ears... maybe the demo was damaged or something, but I prefer the sound of the W1 much more than the UM1, the W1 sound fuller and smoother, and enough bass so that you can hear it....  also the W1 packs with more accessories.

Will see if I get such luck to try out a pair of HF5, the last competitor. XD

I had read that they sounds bad even with 192 kbps files... and 1/2 of my library is lower than 192kbps...

If you can re rip your cd collection to a higher bit rate.  The higher up the food chain from the westone 1's the worse it will get for you.

Cheers.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #120 of 125
I'm looking into the W1's or the shure se215's to wear while on my motorcycle. As i live rual area there is no where for me to check them out in person and i have to buy via reviews. anybody have an idea which would fit better under a helmet? Thanks i have some low end Klipsch's and am wanting to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back