Westone 1 Impressions and Review Thread
Oct 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #61 of 125
Does anyone have any idea when these phones will be or are already available in the UK and how the sound compares to the UM1. If they are available in the UK where can I purchase them.

Thank You In Advance.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #63 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Larry,

Do you mind providing more information on how the W1 stacks up against the RE2? In general which iem has better isolation? Would you consider the W1 and upgrade over the RE2? What are the major differences between these two iems?

I currently own the RE2 and am thinking about upgrading to see what higher-end IEMs can offer. To me the RE2s sound really great, I love the clarity it offers with pretty large soundstage, however the bass seems to be quite lacking.

I hope you will be able to provide some insight, thanks.

I am using the W1 with triple flange tips with the stalk at the base cut short to the level of the 3rd flange. I am using an iBasso D10 USB DAC amp (with TLE2141 class-A/EL8201 opamps).

With the above the W1 sound is fairly well balanced, with stronger bass than the RE2 so that I don't need an amp like with the RE2. The mids are not as forward as the RE2 either, and give a deeper soundstage with the W1 (like with the W1 mids). The treble has good detail as well, and I also like them more than my previous Phonak PFE which could be forward and sibilant while these aren't.

The Phonak PFE and RE2 might be more detailed, but I can't compare them right now (sold the PFE and my daughter has the RE2). The RE3 are closer to the W1, and better than the RE2 as well, but I still prefer the W1 over the RE3 which I feel still need an amp to shine. The new RE252 (est $200) are the best head-direct earphones I have tried, with a lusher smoother sound, better bass than the RE2 or RE3, and possibly a small 8-10K treble peak that makes quiet listening possible without loosing much detail yet not enhancing sibilance. I didn't get to compare them directly to the W1 but I probably like them similarly. I hope to compare them soon.

So, if you want an upgrade to the RE2 and want more bass, the W1 should be a good choice depending on the tips you settle on. I have a new pair of UM56 tips ordered to replace my lost ones, and look forward to trying them with the W1 soon.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #64 of 125
With their specs, it's likely that they'll hiss noticeably with portable players. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am extremely sensitive to even the slightest hiss.

I would like to get something as backup for my phonaks which are excellent for blocking hiss because of their low sensitivity.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #65 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the W1 with triple flange tips with the stalk at the base cut short to the level of the 3rd flange. I am using an iBasso D10 USB DAC amp (with TLE2141 class-A/EL8201 opamps).

With the above the W1 sound is fairly well balanced, with stronger bass than the RE2 so that I don't need an amp like with the RE2. The mids are not as forward as the RE2 either, and give a deeper soundstage with the W1 (like with the W1 mids). The treble has good detail as well, and I also like them more than my previous Phonak PFE which could be forward and sibilant while these aren't.

The Phonak PFE and RE2 might be more detailed, but I can't compare them right now (sold the PFE and my daughter has the RE2). The RE3 are closer to the W1, and better than the RE2 as well, but I still prefer the W1 over the RE3 which I feel still need an amp to shine. The new RE252 (est $200) are the best head-direct earphones I have tried, with a lusher smoother sound, better bass than the RE2 or RE3, and possibly a small 8-10K treble peak that makes quiet listening possible without loosing much detail yet not enhancing sibilance. I didn't get to compare them directly to the W1 but I probably like them similarly. I hope to compare them soon.

So, if you want an upgrade to the RE2 and want more bass, the W1 should be a good choice depending on the tips you settle on. I have a new pair of UM56 tips ordered to replace my lost ones, and look forward to trying them with the W1 soon.

Thanks for the help, Larry. It's very much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #66 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With their specs, it's likely that they'll hiss noticeably with portable players. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am extremely sensitive to even the slightest hiss.

I would like to get something as backup for my phonaks which are excellent for blocking hiss because of their low sensitivity.

Impedance adapter?

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #67 of 125
Quote:

There is NO hiss with my iPhone 3GS headphone out or P-51 Mustang or iBasso D10 amp.

Almost none with iPod 5.5G, and minimal hiss with Macbook Pro HP out which more than iPod 5.5G but not enough to intrude. There is mild hiss with ALO Amphora but less than with ES3X and I could live with it in the W1 but it's too loud with ES3X.

But there is moderate hiss with AMP3 and while less than AMP3/ES3X it is still barely useable because the AMP3 is a hiss monster. If I wanted to go to sleep listening to the AMP3 with volume set anywhere from 1-3 the hiss can be heard mixed in with the music.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #68 of 125
Impedance adapters aren't a good solution because it changes the frequency response. They're also bulky and a pain to make.

It's unfortunate that they hiss with the players you listed. They would be unusable with iriver h320/120 I'm afraid.

I also know that the ipod classic and ipod touch/phone have the least amount of hiss of any player I've tried. Unfortunately I don't own one and don't really plan to. I have too many players as it is.

I already have the UM2 which I can use only with my Tomahawk. Hiss is incredibly loud on every player I have without the amp. Extremely unfortunate.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #69 of 125
Quote:

Impedance adapters aren't a good solution because it changes the frequency response. They're also bulky and a pain to make.

It's unfortunate that they hiss with the players you listed. They would be unusable with iriver h320/120 I'm afraid.

I also know that the ipod classic and ipod touch/phone have the least amount of hiss of any player I've tried. Unfortunately I don't own one and don't really plan to. I have too many players as it is.

I already have the UM2 which I can use only with my Tomahawk. Hiss is incredibly loud on every player I have without the amp. Extremely unfortunate.

I will try it with my H140 for the first time later today. The H140 sits in my bedside rig optical out into Headroom Micro Stack there, so I don't often use the headphone out. From what I can tell with my other players the hiss is less than my ES3X or my W3, and closer to the lesser hiss of the JH13Pro which is much better, but not as quiet as the IE8 or Phonak PFE.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #70 of 125
Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

I'm contemplating buying the Westone1s from a fellow aussie and am actually leaning towards getting them. However, I am kinda worried that if I do end up buying them, I'll be curious as to what would it have been like if I went with either the ER4P or the RE0 - my other two choices because they are in the similar price range.

I think that if I go with either the ER4P or RE0, it'll be pretty safe as the main things I love are detail and clarity in the mids/highs(honestly, bass isn't too important to me). However I have to admit I'm a sucker for aesthetics. To me the Westone 1 look unique due to it's around-ear style. The RE0 on the other hand looks to be fairly boring and ordinary. Lastly to me the ER4P look pretty ugly, plus when wearing them they tend to look pretty awkward, IMO neway.

I know here on head-fi, for the most part everyone says "If it sounds good, that's all that matters", I agree somewhat. But I will be using these iems mainly while I'm out commuting or studying at the library so looks do play an important factor in my decision.

I think getting some input on whether the Westone1s are able to match the RE0 or ER4P performance wise with help a lot. Can anyone help me with this?

So yeah, I really can't decide. Head-fiers please help me out
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #71 of 125
The RE0 or ER4P are two IEM I haven't heard yet, so I can't help there. Can you give us an idea of what you have heard and liked, as it isn't clear if you have heard any of the others either?

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #72 of 125
Quote:

The RE0 or ER4P are two IEM I haven't heard yet, so I can't help there. Can you give us an idea of what you have heard and liked, as it isn't clear if you have heard any of the others either?

thats rather surprising

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #73 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats rather surprising

Yah. I've heard the RE2, RE3, and RE252 (but not the RE0). For Ety I've heard the ER6i and IM716 (stock and modded) but not the ER4P. Out of those that I've heard from head-direct and Ety, I would rank the RE252 over the W1, and the W1 over the rest.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #75 of 125
Quote:

Yes you're right, I haven't heard the RE0 or ER4P before as I have no access to them. My take on them is based purely on what I've read here at head-fi.

Unfortunately I'm very unfamiliar when it come's to IEMs. The only ones that I've heard are the RE2s and JVC marshmallows. The JVCs are terrible with huge overbearing bass however for the price I can't complain. When I first heard the RE2s I was blown away by the clarity and soundstage as they are pretty much my only experience with better IEMs. I'm thinking, if these "entry-level" IEMs can sound so good, how much better can popular so even "famous" IEMs like the ER4P sound.

Full-cans however I've heard the DT770 2005 version, ES7, AD500, MS-1, MS1000, AD700, A900, SRH440, HD650, K601 and currently own the HD600 and enjoying them immensely.

Actually I'm wondering if the RE0, ER4P and W1 will be able to blow me away coming from the RE2.

Sorry I'm not even sure if I answered your question properly, Larry, but hopefully this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back