Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additional review at iLounge

Review: Westone Westone 1 True-Fit Earphones | iLounge

Slightly underwhelming
frown.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #34 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think im gonna get these when it's available... see how it compares to the re0

At this point I prefer the W1 to the RE2 or RE3, but I've never heard an RE0.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #35 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additional review at iLounge

Review: Westone Westone 1 True-Fit Earphones | iLounge

Interesting. They kinda say the same things I do, but with a negative slant to it when talking about the extension or detail. I haven't heard an Ety HF5 so I can't compare like they did, but seems there is no point. Maybe they went into the review looking for a fun earphone, not an accurate one.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #37 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Berg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the same token, I've never heard Etys described as "fun earphones..."

True!
smily_headphones1.gif

I only mentioned "fun" because the OP wants a fun phone and the review liked the Ety HF5 more, so...

Wow - you came out of a 9 month retirement to make that your first post. I'm sorry.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #38 of 125
there is quite a goodly bit of bass with the w1. my side-by-side with the um1 revealed more similarities than differences, but the w1 is a little more energetic. fit is nearly the same as the bodies are very similar, but similar to jeremy at ilounge, i found the w1 to not be as easy to situate for a good seal.

but, i think i agree with much of what jeremy and larry said. the w1 is a great sounding earphone, but i don't think he was looking for what seems to be derogatorily described as a 'fun' earphone. rather, he described it when compared to the hf5 is less clear. while he didn't go deep into the sound, his obvious focus is on build, fit and overall sound balance.

i think that both larry and jeremy have done good 'reviews', but focused on different aspects. for those looking for a crisper listen, there are better options for the price, but not for build. the w1 smashes the hf5 (i have used it even less than the w1) for build quality.

also, jeremy notes that the cable is the same. rather, i think it has been upgraded with a slightly stiffer, more tightly-wound design which is sturdy. the narrow jack is a great addition for people who want to use it on daps and amps with recessed jacks and from behind cases.

i will spend a little more time with one today.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #39 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only mentioned "fun" because the OP wants a fun phone and the review liked the Ety HF5 more, so...

Only in as much as I'm looking for something that is involving and not overly-analytical or sterile/boring. Something that lets you really enjoy the music and makes you tap your foot emphatically at times without even realizing it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of the benefits of the more upper-end phones may be lost when listening to more popular music like I do (alternative/pop/electronica) - particularly when used with something like an iPod/iPhone. I may be way off here, but I always figured the extra clarity/detail of the higher end phones were most appreciated by those with:

- Very detailed, well-mastered & complex music collections - not the more "popular" stuff.
- Very trained ears and a lot of experience in critical listening.
- Quiet environments where they spend the time to really focus on the music.

I've assumed that the benefits of spending 2-3x the price of something like the W1 would be largely lost on "the rest of us" who don't fit into the categories described above. Yes, there may be subtle improvements, but they would be largely wasted due to the style of music or being used with a portable playback device and AAC (256 kbps) files. Again, this is ONLY an assumption and may be totally incorrect.

Agree or disagree? I'm just trying to understand how much benefit I would even get by stepping up to the UM3x for example. I realize no one can tell me that for sure, but I'm just trying to make as smart of a decision as possible.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #40 of 125
According to the iLounge review, they slot the UM1 and W1 as 'bassier' earphones. Is that only in relation to Etymotic earphones, or also to others (Phonak, UE, etc.)?

Also, copypasta:
Anyways, how would you rate bass impact? Will it tickle your ear drums when they need to? I found my SF3s to be pretty light until I hooked up my E5 and foams.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #41 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is quite a goodly bit of bass with the w1. my side-by-side with the um1 revealed more similarities than differences, but the w1 is a little more energetic. fit is nearly the same as the bodies are very similar, but similar to jeremy at ilounge, i found the w1 to not be as easy to situate for a good seal.

but, i think i agree with much of what jeremy and larry said. the w1 is a great sounding earphone, but i don't think he was looking for what seems to be derogatorily described as a 'fun' earphone. rather, he described it when compared to the hf5 is less clear. while he didn't go deep into the sound, his obvious focus is on build, fit and overall sound balance.

i think that both larry and jeremy have done good 'reviews', but focused on different aspects. for those looking for a crisper listen, there are better options for the price, but not for build. the w1 smashes the hf5 (i have used it even less than the w1) for build quality.

also, jeremy notes that the cable is the same. rather, i think it has been upgraded with a slightly stiffer, more tightly-wound design which is sturdy. the narrow jack is a great addition for people who want to use it on daps and amps with recessed jacks and from behind cases.

i will spend a little more time with one today.

Actually, I wasn't using "fun" in a derogatory way, and I did list four "fun" earphones that I do like when I said, "I would not call the W1 a "fun colored earphone" like the W3, X10 or Nuforce NE-7M and Denon C700."

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only in as much as I'm looking for something that is involving and not overly-analytical or sterile/boring. Something that lets you really enjoy the music and makes you tap your foot emphatically at times without even realizing it!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of the benefits of the more upper-end phones may be lost when listening to more popular music like I do (alternative/pop/electronica) - particularly when used with something like an iPod/iPhone. I may be way off here, but I always figured the extra clarity/detail of the higher end phones were most appreciated by those with:

- Very detailed, well-mastered & complex music collections - not the more "popular" stuff.

I've assumed that the benefits of spending 2-3x the price of something like the W1 would be largely lost on "the rest of us" who don't fit into the categories described above. Yes, there may be subtle improvements, but they would be largely wasted due to the style of music or being used with a portable playback device and AAC (256 kbps) files. Again, this is ONLY an assumption and may be totally incorrect.

Agree or disagree? I'm just trying to understand how much benefit I would even get by stepping up to the UM3x for example. I realize no one can tell me that for sure, but I'm just trying to make as smart of a decision as possible.

I agree with a lot of what you said. The W1 still benefit from the conditions you laid out above for high end phones:

For those situations the W1 is a good choice. I find the W1 to sound better with "my" music than "more popular music" like yours (alternative/pop/electronica). But that may be because I just like my music more, and the popular music I have is all 128K MP3 - so it's harder for me to get into your music without some zing and pop added by an amp or the earphone.

In the car when the kids listen to the same music on the radio as you, I have to turn up the bass and treble more. With the more popular music the mids in the "brick-wall" recordings just get on my nerves more. Somehow, without a bass and treble boost I still found the UM3X to be more involving when I listen to music that isn't normally at the top of my play list. For alternative/pop/electronica I still preferred the W3 with my UM56 tips, but the UM3X were just fine.

If you get the W3 without UM56 tips, be sure to try all the tips and different positions in your ear canals before you decide you don't like them. If you don't like them I'll trade you my Sennheiser IE8 for them. If you get the UM3X and don't like them, I'll still trade you my Senn IE8 for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #42 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the iLounge review, they slot the UM1 and W1 as 'bassier' earphones. Is that only in relation to Etymotic earphones, or also to others (Phonak, UE, etc.)?

Also, copypasta:
Anyways, how would you rate bass impact? Will it tickle your ear drums when they need to? I found my SF3s to be pretty light until I hooked up my E5 and foams.

The bass can do that, but an amp still helps and you'll damage your hearing.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #43 of 125
i realised after writing 'derogatory' that the word was inappropriate. sorry about that. you are right though in a way, it isn't a 'fun' earphone. mids aren't as temperate as they need to be to be a really 'fun' earphone, but they pack a punch in the bass which makes them rockable.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #44 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think your comments are quite spot on.

Bear in mind that the higher you go in price the more subtle, ie less drastic/ noticeable, the changes in SQ are. Sounds to me like the W1 provides enough good SQ even for demanding ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back