Westone 1 Impressions and Review Thread
Aug 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #46 of 125
CNET review is up. Also less than stellar
frown.gif

Westone 1 True-Fit Earphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #47 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your comments are quite spot on.

Bear in mind that the higher you go in price the more subtle, ie less drastic/ noticeable, the changes in SQ are. Sounds to me like the W1 provides enough good SQ even for demanding ears.

your comments too, are 'spot on'. i realised after listening to them that though they are not uber-clear, i could more than enjoy my stay with a pair of 139$ phones which are powerful in the low end and clear in the mids, but constructed in a far superior fashion to anything else.

sound - making too much judgement on that alone is unfair as people have too many ideas on what is good and what isn't... the westone 1 does at least one thing perfectly: trump everyone but westone in the price category for a well-made earphone.

sound is good, but not perfect - but that sort of earphone rarely exists.

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #48 of 125
I am discovering that while I like a shallow insertion, that if I try a deep ear canal insertion the W1 become more muffled sounding in the highs. So ear canal position could explain a bit of what iLounge or CNEt are hearing.

I also find that using a nice amp and good quality rips like I have been using improves their sound. So, amp and source could explain the differences in reviews as well. But, with my iMod/Piccolino LOD > P-51 > W1 and 320K or lossless rips the sound is very nice for a $139 IEM. Same with my Macbook > Pico or D10 > W1.

Like I said in my mini review, they sound a little rolled off at the ends, and may not be best suited for todays compressed brick-walled MP3 music. But, I have them in my ears right now with my iMod rig and I'm pleased with them. I've still been recommending the W3 or UM3X over these for people who have the budget for them, because those are better. I have not heard the Ety HF5 but I had issues with the sound of the ER6i and IM716 lacking bass.

[EDIT] I also just went back and plugged the W1 into the headphone jack of my iMod, and they do sound a little more rolled off with less bass impact that way than via LOD>P-51. The W1 don't come pre-equalized to sound good with low end gear. While my Denon C700 might sound a little better via 5.5G video headphone out because they almost have a built-in EQ, the C700 don't sound as good with many amps or modern iPods where the bass can become boomy and the highs a little edgy. (similar issues with Super.fi 5 Pro when switching to using with an amp)

Aug 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #49 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W1 don't come pre-equalized to sound good with low end gear. While my Denon C700 might sound a little better via 5.5G video headphone out because they almost have a built-in EQ, the C700 don't sound as good with many amps or modern iPods where the bass can become boomy and the highs a little edgy. (similar issues with Super.fi 5 Pro when switching to using with an amp)

So are you saying that the W1 will not sound as good with an iPhone or iPod Nano? Or do those devices "color" the sound enough on their own for the W1 to shine? Sorry...just not sure what you are considering "low end" gear.

If there are better phones in this price range for use with an iPhone/iPod and popular music, I'd consider them. I also need excellent fit, comfort and isolation however (which I know the Westone products excel at). I'm also drawn to the assortment of tips that come in the included fit kit.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #50 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you saying that the W1 will not sound as good with an iPhone or iPod Nano? Or do those devices "color" the sound enough on their own for the W1 to shine? Sorry...just not sure what you are considering "low end" gear.

If there are better phones in this price range for use with an iPhone/iPod and popular music, I'd consider them. I also need comfort and isolation however (both of which I know the Westone products excel at). I'm also drawn to the assortment of tips that come in the included fit kit.

Thanks!

I think that all he's saying is that you may have to EQ it with a lower-end source like a portable mp3 player because another pair of IEMs like the C700 are "calibrated", so to speak, for such sources--and this, paired with a higher-end source, makes for a less than desirable sound.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #51 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkozlow3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If there are better phones in this price range for use with an iPhone/iPod and popular music, I'd consider them. I also need excellent fit, comfort and isolation however (which I know the Westone products excel at). I'm also drawn to the assortment of tips that come in the included fit kit.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixteh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that all he's saying is that you may have to EQ it with a lower-end source like a portable mp3 player because another pair of IEMs like the C700 are "calibrated", so to speak, for such sources--and this, paired with a higher-end source, makes for a less than desirable sound.

The 4G Nano actually sounds pretty good with the W1 without EQ, as does the iPhone 3GS. Most of my W1 listening is with the 4G Nano, with no EQ.

It's interesting that I've complained a bit that the Phonak PFE and other IEM (like C700, Super.fi 5 Pro and Livewires) were sibilant with the 4G Nano and 2G Touch, but the W1 are great for those players. The W1 are also good with my P-51, Pico and D10 amps, while the C700 have a little bit of extra bass and treble with them. The W1 on those just sound more accurate than the "fun phones".

I like the fact that the W1 bass is not boomy or overly boosted, and the highs do get slightly more sparkle with the 4G Nano. So, there is still a synergy issue with the W1, and with the wrong source they can sound duller. For instance, the W1 are okay with the 5.5G iPod video but they are better with the 4G Nano and iPhone, while the C700 with it's boosted bass and treble are better with the older 5.5G Video and 2G Nano (which have a reputation for some roll-off at the ends). If I play the Denon C700 with the 4G Nano the highs get a little edgy, while the W1 takes it in stride with more balanced highs. But with a 10 year old sony portable CD player the C700 sound better and the W1 sound too flat or dull.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #52 of 125
Hi, I've just audited the Westone 1. Comparing with UM1, I do feel that the W1 is a better IEM in terms of soundstage and bass. But the UM1 is better in Mids and High.

The best thing about the W1 is the CABLE. It is definately a different cable wrapping than the first (pre-W3 era) and second (W3 and UM3X era). The first feels sturdy and is rather stiff at times (although I still prefer this over the second). The second is the one with a softer and lighter material but tends to uncoil easily.

The cable of the Westone 1 is the best cable in my opinion. It takes the previous two cable positive points and put them together, like a hybrid version. The W1 cable is sturdy and tough (it doesn't give you the flimsy feeling of W3 and UM3X), yet feels soft (not as soft as the second cable) and you can easily coil it up without it jumping up after you coiled it. Most importantly, the braiding is done tightly, there are no signs of loose braiding.

All in all, I feel that the choice between UM1 and W1 is all about personal preference. Some will prefer the UM1, some will prefer the W1.

Now I just hope that Westone update their previous models with the new cable. On the W3 or UM3X, it would be perfect.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #53 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beaterator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I've just audited the Westone 1. Comparing with UM1, I do feel that the W1 is a better IEM in terms of soundstage and bass. But the UM1 is better in Mids and High.

The best thing about the W1 is the CABLE. It is definately a different cable wrapping than the first (pre-W3 era) and second (W3 and UM3X era). The first feels sturdy and is rather stiff at times (although I still prefer this over the second). The second is the one with a softer and lighter material but tends to uncoil easily.

The cable of the Westone 1 is the best cable in my opinion. It takes the previous two cable positive points and put them together, like a hybrid version. The W1 cable is sturdy and tough (it doesn't give you the flimsy feeling of W3 and UM3X), yet feels soft (not as soft as the second cable) and you can easily coil it up without it jumping up after you coiled it. Most importantly, the braiding is done tightly, there are no signs of loose braiding.

All in all, I feel that the choice between UM1 and W1 is all about personal preference. Some will prefer the UM1, some will prefer the W1.

Now I just hope that Westone update their previous models with the new cable. On the W3 or UM3X, it would be perfect.

I think it's important to list your source or amp if one is used.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #54 of 125
Quote:

I think it's important to list your source or amp if one is used.

I'm using a 2G iPod, all songs are 320kbps, no amp involved while testing the W1. Played around with the EQ on Rock settings and I like it very much. I do that for my UM1 too. IMO, i find that they sound better when Rock EQ is on. You can feel the soundstage widens. Without it, both UM1 and W1 sounds rather dull.

But then, any EQ on the iPod won't help in W3 or UM3X situation. I think they worsen it in fact.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #55 of 125
I went back and listened to my 8Gb 2G Nano and in fact the W1 also sound pretty decent with that as well as the 4G Nano, without sounding dull or lifeless. (320K MP3 via headphone out).

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #58 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianC. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will these phones be better with Fiio amp? and more reviews please

I'll have to try that later and report back. Can I use a $200 line out dock with it?
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #60 of 125
Quote:

At this point I prefer the W1 to the RE2 or RE3, but I've never heard an RE0.

Hey Larry,

Do you mind providing more information on how the W1 stacks up against the RE2? In general which iem has better isolation? Would you consider the W1 and upgrade over the RE2? What are the major differences between these two iems?

I currently own the RE2 and am thinking about upgrading to see what higher-end IEMs can offer. To me the RE2s sound really great, I love the clarity it offers with pretty large soundstage, however the bass seems to be quite lacking.

I hope you will be able to provide some insight, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back