Wells Audio Milo - Impressions And Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #436 of 1,022
I'm interested in how HE-6 fairs between Milo and Ragnarok?

I'm not sure how it sounds with the Ragnarok, but I can assure you that of all my headphones ( LCD-3f,LCD-4,Eikons,LCD-XC ) the biggest improvements by using the Milo, were with my he-6 and he-1k headphones compared to previous amplifiers that I was using (Burson, Audio GD M9 and Schiit). The Milo and Hifiman are a great match imo.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #437 of 1,022
I'm not sure how it sounds with the Ragnarok, but I can assure you that of all my headphones ( LCD-3f,LCD-4,Eikons,LCD-XC ) the biggest improvements by using the Milo, were with my he-6 and he-1k headphones compared to previous amplifiers that I was using (Burson, Audio GD M9 and Schiit). The Milo and Hifiman are a great match imo.d

FWIW, I can also confirm that it is stellar with the HE400 & HE500.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #438 of 1,022
Anyone at Can Jam have a listen to this? No clue what it is. If I had to guess...Headtrip Reference? New Chassis? I've emailed Jeff Wells to see if he can share any info. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #439 of 1,022
Anyone at Can Jam have a listen to this? No clue what it is. If I had to guess...Headtrip Reference? New Chassis? I've emailed Jeff Wells to see if he can share any info. 

That is exactly what it is. I listened to it yesterday. Insanely good. Best sounding amp at the show. Used a Chord Dave as the DAC. Wow, a system of dreams.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #440 of 1,022
That should be the WA Reference and it will set you back 150 Benjamins

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #441 of 1,022
It is indeed the Headtrip Reference. I've got some more pictures courtesy of Jeff. Hope I get to hear it some day. Apologies for posting this in the Milo thread, but its the most active Wells Audio thread, and I figured fans of Wells Audio would be interested. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #442 of 1,022
That is exactly what it is. I listened to it yesterday. Insanely good. Best sounding amp at the show. Used a Chord Dave as the DAC. Wow, a system of dreams.

I agree. Absolutely stunning. Loved it with the ZMF Eikon and Abyss Phi.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #443 of 1,022

We are in complete agreement. It sounded blissful with the Eikon and Abyss. Also with the HE-6. It was my highlight of the show. Nothing even close to that Amp. There were a lot of great products, but the headtrip reference was like seeing color tv for the first time.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #444 of 1,022
Yeah, but that price. I don't think I put $15000 into the down-payment on my car...

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #445 of 1,022
Yeah, but that price. I don't think I put $15000 into the down-payment on my car...

Yes, out of my budget by too much to even consider. Not an option. The Milo is 80% of the sound. In fact, Jeff Wells thinks in ways the Milo is his best amp. That he created a sound in the Milo that is almost perfect. Comforting to know...

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #446 of 1,022

Did you notice a difference between the Milo/Enigma/Headtrip/Headtrip Reference? Assuming they were all there. Any thoughts on the Abyss vs. Abyss Phi?  

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #447 of 1,022
Did you notice a difference between the Milo/Enigma/Headtrip/Headtrip Reference? Assuming they were all there. Any thoughts on the Abyss vs. Abyss Phi?  

Yeah, it sounds a little different. More neutral and WAY more transparent. Listening on the DAVE and Headtrip Reference it was excruciating to take the headphone off and give it to the next guy. I was legitimately sad for a minute there!

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #448 of 1,022
Yeah, it sounds a little different. More neutral and WAY more transparent. Listening on the DAVE and Headtrip Reference it was excruciating to take the headphone off and give it to the next guy. I was legitimately sad for a minute there!

Don't cry child. I'll hold you.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #449 of 1,022

Not as didferent as I thought it would. Milo has some secret sauce in it that is unique and gratifying. I thought it sounded as good as the Enigma. The Headtrip Reference was exactly as Hansotek said. Transparency was off the charts. And the DAVE, oh boy...

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #450 of 1,022
Not as didferent as I thought it would. Milo has some secret sauce in it that is unique and gratifying. I thought it sounded as good as the Enigma. The Headtrip Reference was exactly as Hansotek said. Transparency was off the charts. And the DAVE, oh boy...

Did they also have a Milo setup running off a DAVE?

Just wondering how much improvement might have been coming from the DAC used to demo the Headtrip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back