Well, now I feel pretty stupid.
Dec 15, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually always dream of this kind of thing happening to me close to exam times.

Yeah, same here. I've had the bad dreams about missing a final, or not showing up to a class so many times that I forgot to attend during the exams. Hope that you're professor helps you out Concrete.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 29
Thanks everyone. I still haven't heard back from the professor yet, he's probably grading finals or something
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I had exams in college I would make a huge paperboard(something like 3feetx4feet) will all the dates written on it and hand it in front of my bed. Every morning I would wake up and read it. I never missed an exam!

That sounds like a very good idea. I'll try it next semester.

Dec 15, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #18 of 29
Just email your professor. My roommate does that almost every semester, and he's never been denied a chance to take the final late. Don't wait until it's waaaayyy too late to do anything. If it's your first semester in college, I'm fairly sure he'll let you take it late.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #19 of 29
I have had this same fear many times. During exams my concept of time changes, and I completely lose track of what day it is! Saturdays feel like any other day, etc. so I always keep the schedule on my computer close at hand
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by concrete_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone. I still haven't heard back from the professor yet, he's probably grading finals or something
rolleyes.gif

You did the right thing to write him immediately. Most professors in the US will break down if you seem to be serious and interested in the material of the course, because frankly we don't care that much which grade we give you, we care whether you've learned anything. You just have to own up to what happened and that it was your fault, ask if there's anything you can do, and say you understand if it isn't possible. You might add that you've learned a lot in the course, think you have been doing well, and thank him/her in advance for considering your case. DO NOT say you have good grades are really need an A or insist that he/she should help you.

ps, I'm grading my own students' papers right now.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #21 of 29
It happened to me when i was in university quite long time ago. I told him honestly and asked if he can get me a second chance. He said he won't help me out. Once gone is gone, and that happened because of your fault, I can't help with that... kind of response. I was disappointed but i knew what he said is harsh but true. So, I asked him again saying i understood what he meant and I learned the importance of time management, but i still want to chance to prove that I was doing my study. He said, he will see, but he will not give me A. I agreed, and I got B+. Then he said, he could have given me A if I was on the exam on time. I feel quite grateful for what he had done to me. I believe most professors look sturbon at their attitude, but not to the heart. So... wish you good luck with that.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #22 of 29
Have you heard anything yet? It'd be worth another e-mail or perhaps a phone call or dropping by his office.

One thing that might concern him is that students sometimes "miss" exams so they can find out what is on the exam from others. I know you aren't doing this, but it is a common concern. If he says that he doesn't give make up exams, request an "incomplete" and ask if you can do a research paper, complete a project or maybe take the final in the spring semester.

You did the right thing by telling him the truth, though. And your story brought back a number of nightmares! I can't tell you how many times I had dreams about missing exams. Also common were ones where I "realized" that I hadn't gone to a class all semester and the final was in the morning.

Those go away after graduation. However, I still get occasional dreams about forgetting to do something at work or, for whatever reason, having forgotten to feed the pets. Not that the cats would ever let that actually happen!

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #23 of 29
Don't worry its just a dream! Look now you are sitting taking the exam and forgot to get dressed. See how all of your class mates are staring at you! :wink:

That was a recurring dream for me. I know this is not a dream. Hope all goes well in the end!

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also common were ones where I "realized" that I hadn't gone to a class all semester and the final was in the morning.

I've had this kind of dream too, way too many times for comfort. Usually they involve suddenly remembering a huge project and only having a day to finish it. There's always this characteristic sinking feeling when I have dreams like that, although I must say it was many times worse when it was real.

I still haven't gotten a response from my professor, and he hasn't been in his office. I'm guessing he went on vacation right after the final and didn't check his email before he left. I think the best thing I can do now is ask to receive an Incomplete grade in the meantime and work something out with the professor to make up the final.

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #26 of 29
i've been out of university for 5 years and i STILL have dreams of missing exams. man, hate that feeling.

then again, waking up feels really good
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #27 of 29
Telling the truth in my opinion is alot better than lying. Knew someone who lied...then they had to backup the lie with paperwork proving they'd been to the hospital. It's not that the professor was a jerk and wanted the paperwork, but that kinda story just stinks instantly.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been out of university for 5 years and i STILL have dreams of missing exams. man, hate that feeling.

then again, waking up feels really good
wink.gif

x2

I'm 49 and I still have those dreams!

(I also sometimes dream I'm still selling stereos at Chicago Audio/Pacific Stereo--those are extremely horrific.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back