Welcome to the SchiitShow!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #226 of 475

Most of us are just having a little fun, for lack of anything better to talk about.  

Including the Schiit guys themselves - didn't one of them wear a shirt a Can Jam that said something like "D S, when music doesn't matter". Considering 95% of the DACs they sell are DS, seems they don't take themselves too seriously.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #227 of 475
  seems they don't take themselves too seriously.

What makes you think that?  

They named their company Schiit.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #229 of 475
Aug 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #231 of 475
My vote for at least one of the 3 mystery products is for an interface converter/data stream controller, perhaps with DSP functionality built in…
Along the lines of Wyrd Schiit run amuck…

I figure it'll have AES/EBU capability, at the very least.

JJ

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #232 of 475
I don't care what products are announced I just want one signed in silver paint.  If it's good enough for Bob Carver it's good enough for Schiit...

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #233 of 475
Hoping the multi-bit Gugnir is under $1k.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #235 of 475

Most of us are just having a little fun, for lack of anything better to talk about.  

Maybe they'll announce an IPO so that everyone can literally buy their own piece of Schiit!

I'm in favor of that idea.  With paper certificates.  Schiit on a shingle.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #236 of 475
  I don't think this will be possible each of the dacs cost ~$90 and is a single channel.  So for a balance signal they need 4 (~$360)  and thats just the dacs not counting the rest of the analog stage or the superburrito filter board. 

This. If I had to venture, I'd figure that they'll be a bit over $1200 (maybe $1249). Current D-S Gungnir with USB 2.0 is $849 + shipping. $400-450 difference seems right considering the cost of the DAC chips and other components minus the savings from not using the DS chips and components. Maybe $450 for an upgrade board with a $60 install charge from Schiit? (Based on install prices for Uber Analog and USB Gen 2.) That puts about a grand price difference between Multi-bit Gungnir and Yggdrassil, which seems right from a price/product differentiation standpoint. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these estimates are low and the prices are more than this. But I'd be very surprised - and pretty damn pleased - if it's less. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #237 of 475
This. If I had to venture, I'd figure that they'll be a bit over $1200 (maybe $1249). Current D-S Gungnir with USB 2.0 is $849 + shipping. $400-450 difference seems right considering the cost of the DAC chips and other components minus the savings from not using the DS chips and components. Maybe $450 for an upgrade board with a $60 install charge from Schiit? (Based on install prices for Uber Analog and USB Gen 2.) That puts about a grand price difference between Multi-bit Gungnir and Yggdrassil, which seems right from a price/product differentiation standpoint. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these estimates are low and the prices are more than this. But I'd be very surprised - and pretty damn pleased - if it's less. 

My thoughts exactly. Multibit gungnir will fill in the gap between DS gungnir and Yggy, so anything around $1200 would be fair game. With that being said, I have high hopes for Mjolnir 2 (though we probably won't see that until 2016). Schiit would seriously have to make it SE too (just like Rag) and surprise us with a couple more bonus features to make it worthwhile (Jason mentioned that Mjolnir was their second slowest selling product).

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #238 of 475
My thoughts exactly. Multibit gungnir will fill in the gap between DS gungnir and Yggy, so anything around $1200 would be fair game. With that being said, I have high hopes for Mjolnir 2 (though we probably won't see that until 2016). Schiit would seriously have to make it SE too (just like Rag) and surprise us with a couple more bonus features to make it worthwhile (Jason mentioned that Mjolnir was their second slowest selling product).

I'd like to see that too. Revising the Mojo just makes sense. Right now, it's a product sandwiched between boutique amplifier companies' budget offerings: the Cavalli Liquid Carbon ($600) and the Eddie Current Black Widow ($1249). That's a really bad place to be because both of those amplifiers are incredible. Finding a way to give the Mojo SE output capability would be a big help. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #239 of 475

Eventually, we will filter this tech down to the level of all Schiit upgradable DACs.  Any and all current owners of these DACs have been helping this design effort and will be offered reduced price upgrades... when we get there.  I am personally grateful to each and every Gungnir and Bifrost owner who has trusted and partnered with me so far on this journey.

I have had this quote rattling around my head since I first read of the Gungnir upgrade. I'm speculating a reduced (possibly 0%) margin product for those that upgrade. Those who purchased Bifrost or Gungnir moving forward with the multibit technology will subsidize the upgrade.

Purely speculation but it seems Mike wants to reward those who have helped develop Yggdrasil's technology. I hope I'm right.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #240 of 475
actually I'm putting the price for the gugnir to be between $1200-$1500 and the bifrorst to be $800-$1000 just based on component cost but even still I think you'll be hard up to find a better sound at those prices.  I believe the bifrost will be the sweet spot for most spacious and detailed with tight bass.  For most setups the multibit bifrost will not be the limiting factor (think amp & tranducer).

I don't think there's going to be subsidized upgrade for multiple reasons, but I don't think they'll need it as you can upgrade a total of 4 boards for the gungnir at your own leisure

2xDS DAC+analog stage---->2xmultibit DAC+analog stage+deglitcher?

mofta filter ---->superburrito filter (look at the yggy board on their website and you'll see that the dsp has its own board)

USB2---> USB3

Keep your Wyrd and upgrade dacs first, then filter, and finally usb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back