Welcome to the SchiitShow!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #241 of 475
actually I'm putting the price for the gugnir to be between $1200-$1500 and the bifrorst to be $800-$1000 just based on component cost but even still I think you'll be hard up to find a better sound at those prices.  I believe the bifrost will be the sweet spot for most spacious and detailed with tight bass.  For most setups the multibit bifrost will not be the limiting factor (think amp & tranducer).

I don't think there's going to be subsidized upgrade for multiple reasons, but I don't think they'll need it as you can upgrade a total of 4 boards for the gungnir at your own leisure

2xDS DAC+analog stage---->2xmultibit DAC+analog stage+deglitcher?

mofta filter ---->superburrito filter (look at the yggy board on their website and you'll see that the dsp has its own board)

USB2---> USB3

Keep your Wyrd and upgrade dacs first, then filter, and finally usb.

I've actually been wondering how they plan to implement the separate DSP board into Gungnir seeing as it seems to have 2 spots for the analog/DAC cards and one for the USB...

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #242 of 475

I have had this quote rattling around my head since I first read of the Gungnir upgrade. I'm speculating a reduced (possibly 0%) margin product for those that upgrade. Those who purchased Bifrost or Gungnir moving forward with the multibit technology will subsidize the upgrade.

Purely speculation but it seems Mike wants to reward those who have helped develop Yggdrasil's technology. I hope I'm right.

Yes, we'd all like something for nuthin, but I think that's expecting a little much.  I expect to see normal margins on any eventual upgrade for primary owners, and INCREASED margins for the uncouth peasants who dared to buy a product on the secondary market.

EDIT - For the record, that's friendly joshing.  I'm sure whenever the upgrades happen, the pricing will be fair for everyone.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #243 of 475

Yes, we'd all like something for nuthin, but I think that's expecting a little much.  I expect to see normal margins on any eventual upgrade for primary owners, and INCREASED margins for the uncouth peasants who dared to buy a product on the secondary market.

EDIT - For the record, that's friendly joshing.  I'm sure whenever the upgrades happen, the pricing will be fair for everyone.

No worries. I have thick skin in this crazy speculation game! I just to upgrade my Gungnir...

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #244 of 475
  I don't think this will be possible each of the dacs cost ~$90 and is a single channel.  So for a balance signal they need 4 (~$360)  and thats just the dacs not counting the rest of the analog stage or the superburrito filter board. 

If Gungnir goes multibit, I expect a true trickle down.  Instead of 20 bit DACs, 18-bit ladder DACs which are far less expensive (I've seen baby sisters going for around 20 a pop, versus 90).  Throw in simpler DSP board with less horsepower and fewer taps (regular burrito size).  You could achieve 19 bits effective, versus the 21 in the Yggy.  That's pretty dang good still. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #246 of 475

If Gungnir goes multibit, I expect a true trickle down.  Instead of 20 bit DACs, 18-bit ladder DACs which are far less expensive (I've seen baby sisters going for around 20 a pop, versus 90).  Throw in simpler DSP board with less horsepower and fewer taps (regular burrito size).  You could achieve 19 bits effective, versus the 21 in the Yggy.  That's pretty dang good still. 

Didn't understand a word there but I'll take your word for it haha!

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #251 of 475
Aug 4, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #253 of 475
Right, sorry inside joke. We've been friends for 25 years since we were teenagers and live about 2 miles from each other. And he truly loves clean power...

Joking.....as in big Krell Monblocks or a Ragnarok.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #255 of 475
I'm sorry but how would you know........or is that a personal question?:beers:[/quote

Yes, I'm a bit obsessed with clean power, upgraded cables and anti-vibration feet. Snake oil, maybe, but makes me feel like the sound is better. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back